Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Bluewater

I have heard that some of the electric awning manufacturers now have an optional wind sensor switch that will automatically bring your awning in if the winds picks up. good idea
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #22
wallet14

We had our electric awning out in ocean city md when a storm rolled in overnight. I woke up and went out to put it in. As soon as I opened the door a huge gust of wind blew and the awning went up folding in half with the supports sliding as though the awning was closed. It popped right back down to the open position with no damage. I was extremely thankful and I put it in right away. I think if it had been tied down it would have been damaged. For reference the tension knobs were tightened but the gust was powerful enough to still move the awning.

Josh - 28
Sara - 29
Son - 10
Daughter - 3

2004 Ford F350 dually crew cab diesel
2013 Springdale 282bhssr
wallet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #23
Brantlaker

I have electric awning on my 5er and I tie it down with adjustable poles in the front and ratchet tiedowns. I bought them from a fellow that used to be on this forum. They have held in 50-60 mph winds with no damage to the fabric or the supports I have attached pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Tie Downs worked great.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	4772

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	4773

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1808.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	4774

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
trackstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
I have electric awning on my 5er and I tie it down with adjustable poles in the front and ratchet tiedowns. I bought them from a fellow that used to be on this forum. They have held in 50-60 mph winds with no damage to the fabric or the supports I have attached pictures.Attachment 4772

Attachment 4773

Attachment 4774
How can I find a setup like this? it seems really dumb that one can have the awing out when its raining and such. I could see if it was 50+mph winds. but we enjoy hanging out under the awning during thunder storms.
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #25
All4eyes

Tie downs

I can see using tie downs on the awning if the were made of shock cord. I have been in 50 to 60 mph wind gusts and the camper has rocked so much that it worried me. If the awning had been out and locked solid to the ground I can't imagine what would have happened to it. We have just decided its easy and quick enough to bring in and out to go that route. I guess I would rather be safe then sorry on something I can prevent.
All4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #26
therink

I use ropes with slip not to 12" rebar ground spikes. I tighten up the tensioner knobs and good to go. I only bring it in when I know winds are going to be unpredictability strong or when a storm looms. 4 yrs doing it this way. I love the power awning.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Stublejumper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twstdpear View Post
The sales person we were working with when we bought our TT said that the electric awnings are designed to withstand wind gusts, and that he personally has been in some pretty serious wind with it open and was surprised to find he had no issues or damage. He further explained something along the lines that the way the arm is designed with the gas props allows the awning to stay deployed while absorbing the awning assembly bouncing up and down.

Camping World's description for the Dometic 9100 Power Awning (looks similar to mine) says, "Knee Action design lets the awning fabric and hardware flex in moderate wind to prevent damage."

Needless to say, I'm a slight bit skeptical. Although given his stated experience and the bit about the Dometic awning above, there may be something to it. I still would err on the site of caution, though.
I like that "sales person" in other words he will tell you anything for a sale and at the same time offer a discount price on parts if you bought the trailer from them knowing that you will be back to buy parts from them after the awning rips off!!! I would play it safe and tie it down.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #28
lspajm

Awnings...

We have electric awnings on our Passport 3220BH - I actually have 2 awnings due to the length and plaement of the rear (bathroom) door. Before i unsed to hang lights on them -- if we were leaving the campsite for any longer than an hour or so -- i run them in -- 2 buttons....held for 20 seconds....and saves yourself worry, and money.

Now that i clip lights on them -- i do tend to tie them down...and i leave them out at night tied down as well....but my lights are such that if a storng storm comes...or even an afternoon gusty wind works up...i yank my lights off the valence piece, and put the suckers in....no need to damage the awnings, rails, sides of the camper..

and YES -- they do have the arms that give you the KNEE reaction...but honestly that scares me when they flip up....it acts like a giant sail in the wind (I expereinced it once) - and i think it puts too much strain on the pivot points and the mounts of the camper....

lastly..they are electirc...they have a button....loosen the knobs and just put them IN...its as easy as that.....
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
Yorkgr

Electric awning malfunction

Hey, I know you are all talking about awning issues with wind but I wanted to throw this question out. When I push the extend awning button, the awning goes out about an inch and then comes back in. I can't figure it out. It took a while but I got the awning fully extended by pushing the button quickly and letting the awning go out an inch at a time. Basically, I was letting go of the button before it started coming back in. I confirmed the awing will come in but can't figure out what the malfunction is while extending. When I got it out, if I held the extend button it kept retracting until I let go. Weird, but it wants to come in whether I'm hitting the extend or retract button.

Does anyone know what's going on with the awning? Has anyone had a similar experience. I have the Keystone Passport 2650BH. Thanks!!
Yorkgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #30
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkgr View Post
Hey, I know you are all talking about awning issues with wind but I wanted to throw this question out. When I push the extend awning button, the awning goes out about an inch and then comes back in. I can't figure it out. It took a while but I got the awning fully extended by pushing the button quickly and letting the awning go out an inch at a time. Basically, I was letting go of the button before it started coming back in. I confirmed the awing will come in but can't figure out what the malfunction is while extending. When I got it out, if I held the extend button it kept retracting until I let go. Weird, but it wants to come in whether I'm hitting the extend or retract button.

Does anyone know what's going on with the awning? Has anyone had a similar experience. I have the Keystone Passport 2650BH. Thanks!!
You did not mention the awning mfr. or model. Electric awnings are motor driven which basically roll up or unroll the material. Applying 12VDC at one polarity causes motor to turn in one direction say to roll awning up. Reversing the polarity to the motor causes it to turn in the opposite direction. On the Dometic awning I do not think motor will automatically reverse if it senses a drag going out or in. As a matter of fact in another tread an awning was extending hit some resistance and resulted in a blown fuse (did not reverse).

In my Raptor there is a single bi-direction momentary switch, in one direction labeled retract and other extend. Pushing and holding extend supplies the correct polarity to turn the motor in the direction to extend the awning. Releasing the switch tops the motor. On the other hand, pushing and holding the switch in direction labeled retract sends the reverse polarity to the motor causing it to turn in the opposite direction (rolling material up). Again releasing switch again stops the motor.

I would say the switch is bad. My 2 cents
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
Yorkgr

Thanks Paraptor.