Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 04:14 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

new favorite TV for RVers?

RV Life claims this new electric Hummer may become the favorite tow vehicle for RVers. Says it will have a 350 mile range and you will be able to use an RV power cord to charge at the camp ground pedestal. Article claims huge torque but omits mention of payload or any real towing tests.
https://rvlife.com/hummer-ev/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

No payload or GCVWR , or did I miss that line?

Sure reads to me like GM wrote that article.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

HA, HA! I can just hear it now...It's August, hot humid day and night. A coup[le pull in to a campground feeling good about their new truck and new trailer how proud they are of their contribution to the environment by having such a "small carbon foot print". The brochure said they could go 350 miles on a single charge but 100 miles into the trip the "low battery, charge now" light started flashing. I guess their 10K trailer placed a big strain on that driving range. So they find a campground and pull into a 50 amp premium site.

DW "When can we turn on the A/C it's hot in here!"
DH "Sorry honey, the Hummer is charging."
DW "SO?"
DH "So if the Hummer is charging we can't plug in the trailer."
DW "But when will the Hummer be finished charging?"
DH "Tomorrow."
DW "But we leave tomorrow"
DH "Sorry, but the Hummer has to charge so we can leave tomorrow"
DW "So we spent tens of thousands of dollars on camper that we can't plug in because the truck that cost us six figures is charging?"
DH "I can get the generator started but we'll have to shut it off soon at quiet time"
DW "And tell me why we didn't just drive the Prius and stay in a hotel? At least then we would have had air conditioning" "And not only that, I wouldn't have to cook, wash dishes, make beds, yada,yada,yada...."

Yup, sounds like a winner!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
BrooksFam

I don't know about using it for a TV, but from what I've seen so far it looks pretty cool...……..

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Torque – 11,500 lb-ft?????? That should rip most tires right off the rims!!!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #6
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
HA, HA! I can just hear it now...It's August, hot humid day and night. A coup[le pull in to a campground feeling good about their new truck and new trailer how proud they are of their contribution to the environment by having such a "small carbon foot print". The brochure said they could go 350 miles on a single charge but 100 miles into the trip the "low battery, charge now" light started flashing. I guess their 10K trailer placed a big strain on that driving range. So they find a campground and pull into a 50 amp premium site.

DW "When can we turn on the A/C it's hot in here!"
DH "Sorry honey, the Hummer is charging."
DW "SO?"
DH "So if the Hummer is charging we can't plug in the trailer."
DW "But when will the Hummer be finished charging?"
DH "Tomorrow."
DW "But we leave tomorrow"
DH "Sorry, but the Hummer has to charge so we can leave tomorrow"
DW "So we spent tens of thousands of dollars on camper that we can't plug in because the truck that cost us six figures is charging?"
DH "I can get the generator started but we'll have to shut it off soon at quiet time"
DW "And tell me why we didn't just drive the Prius and stay in a hotel? At least then we would have had air conditioning" "And not only that, I wouldn't have to cook, wash dishes, make beds, yada,yada,yada...."

Yup, sounds like a winner!
As usual you have it ALL wrong. Those environmentally friendly RVrs will get 2 sites, one for the RV, one for the truck. Taking 2 sites prevents those nasty gas/diesel consuming from occupying a site and further destroying the planet. As we all know electric vehicles make NO polution. It's magic how those power poles charge a car. Oh and it important to put little covers on the outlet plugs so that electricity doesn't leak out all over the ground and cause more static electricity. Probably contributes to thunderstorms which cause wildfires, not to mention the infamous "hot skin" some RVs have. It's all so simple.

EDIT, that thing still looks like an Avalanche with too many headlights.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
Javi

Please don't use the word COOL and electric truck in the same sentence...
Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If we're to "believe" that this new Hummer is the "RV towing answer in EV's" then we would have also needed to believe that the Model T was the answer to every gas engine need....

This Hummer is the "baby step into powerful EV's" it's not the "final solution"... Current technology has not "evolved" enough to give us a workable solution, just like the Wright brothers didn't "deliver us a vehicle capable of flying to the moon"...

It's what comes AFTER this that will start to round out the capabilities as EV's evolve.... In 10 years, we'll probably look back and think about this Hummer as a "dinosaur, long extinct and way back in EV evolution".....

But, it's a "major automobile manufacturer's step into the EV truck market" (unlike that "multi-diagonal TESLA thing")..... YMMV

As for the campground plug-in, some "luxury motorhomes use a 20-25KW generator to augment the 50 amp shore power capability. There are a few "true luxury motorhomes" that are adapting dual 50 amp shore power capability to provide 100 amps of shore power so the owners don't need to run the generator to use the hair dryer or microwave. Right now, there are only a handful of "luxury resorts" that cater to their power needs, but with this "new Hummer" we might see such electrical systems being included in "upscale KOA luxury sites" so "EV trailer towers" can run the trailer even while recharging the Hummer....

In the future, there'll be a way to adapt to a meager 50 amps of limited power"... Surely there'll be a way to "split the campground 50 amp power receptacle to give "limited RV capability" while allowing for "free electricity to go the next 100 miles" for the Hummer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
travelin texans

"allowing for "free electricity to go the next 100 miles" for the Hummer..... "
If funny all those tree hugger types promoting electric vehicles seem to think electricity is "free" or just naturally occurs running down those wires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
"allowing for "free electricity to go the next 100 miles" for the Hummer..... "
If funny all those tree hugger types promoting electric vehicles seem to think electricity is "free" or just naturally occurs running down those wires.
Yup, if they can't see a power plant they don't exist, or won't exist if they have their way.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yup, if they can't see a power plant they don't exist, or won't exist if they have their way.

When they get rid of all that "nasty" fossil fuel and all other pollutants, and the planet is in the dark and we have all reverted back to the stone age, they will be completely shocked when the planet continues to warm until we have another tropical age.....or cool until we have another ice age. The arrogance of some of humanity is astounding. JMO

And yes, that thing DOES look like they tried to bring that poor old Avalanche back and plug in a bunch of extra headlights....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When they get rid of all that "nasty" fossil fuel and all other pollutants, and the planet is in the dark and we have all reverted back to the stone age, they will be completely shocked when the planet continues to warm until we have another tropical age.....or cool until we have another ice age. The arrogance of some of humanity is astounding. JMO

And yes, that thing DOES look like they tried to bring that poor old Avalanche back and plug in a bunch of extra headlights....
Some of it's arrogance but I think a lot of it is just ignorance. Schools these days don't teach where utilities come from or how they operate just that it's bad for the environment. We see this all the time here where folks buy a new camper and don't understand why the 120v ac outlets don't work when the trailer isn't connected to shore power.

I swear if Google disappeared the majority of the public under the age of 50 would be lost. Just ask them to go to the library and find some information, without using the computer and they'll look at you like you have 3 heads. Or ask them to balance their bank account.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined or proficient in higher math but it's a shame when an cashier is handed a twenty dollar bill for a $19.25 bill and after they "ring it up" if you give them a quarter they don't know what to do.

Sorry, I'll step down from my soap box now.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

That may actually work out to our benefit. I read that dinosaurs prefer liberal flesh, what little there is, to some others. Plus the tree/dinosaur huggers are the same that today want to selfie with a bison in Yellowstone so that makes the hunting easier for old T-rex.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
chunker

I see this thread going south soon. O well fun while it lasts.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
No payload or GCVWR , or did I miss that line?

Sure reads to me like GM wrote that article.
The Ford F150 EV can pull a million pounds of boxcars + plug a microwave in the bed, so with all the "mines bigger" attitudes among the truck builders this thing should be able to tow a million & a half & power your rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I see this thread going south soon. O well fun while it lasts.

You're right. I probably should have not brought up the environment issues. Although not political on its face, that discussion can turn political quickly and we don't want to go there. On the other hand, EVs, how they operate and how we as a nation are going to try to make them viable (or not) is a huge discussion that needs to take place by responsible folks and not idealists - no matter what political persuasion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Sold out!

Just watched a story about this on the local news here. They say the truck has sold out. It doesn't start manufacturing until fall of '21 and the price starts at $121K. They say another model is scheduled for a more economical model that has "only an $80K base price"

Sorry guys, guess your too late for the first run!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #18
BrooksFam

Quote:
Just watched a story about this on the local news here. They say the truck has sold out. It doesn't start manufacturing until fall of '21 and the price starts at $121K. They say another model is scheduled for a more economical model that has "only an $80K base price"

Sorry guys, guess your too late for the first run!
I bet Jay Leno is getting one...…...
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Don't know about Leno But I can tell you with completed confidence one guy that won't be getting one.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #20
Laredo Tugger

Today's count is 2. Two states that have outlawed the purchase of gas/diesel vehicles after 2035. One of these stares is CA (the other NJ). They (CA) do not have enough power to keep the lights on during peak usage and they are going to add vehicles to the electric gird demands? A HUGE lack of intelligence in that states leadership. Think I'll skip the whole EV thing for a while. Like forever.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote