Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
Harrishome2005

Gps

I am planning a long trip for 2020 and I would like to purchase a GPS before I go. I have been caught in some awkward situation because I did not have one.
Can anyone recommend a good GPS. I will be pulling a 5th wheel.

Thank you.
John
Harrishome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I use a garmin rv 770 lmt-s rv GPS and am very happy with it. I'd suggest doing a search on the forum, there have been many posts on GPS.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Badbart56

I like Garmin also. I just got a DEZL 780 LMT-S and so far so good. I'm commercial and the 780 allows all traffic routing. I also have a Rand McNally Overdryve 8, but it's not as user friendly as the Garmin. It has more functions than the Garmin, but that's not always a good thing.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Most people today have smart phones.
Smart phones have plenty of GPS apps available that work just as well as a independent GPS unit, so you don't need to pay for a separate unit.
I hate smart phones and a few times over the last few years we have run into road closures etc and the wife pulls hers out and within a few minutes, problem fixed!!!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Smart phones require cell service and data minutes. The Garmin I have has integrated traffic but can connect to the cell phone via Bluetooth. When connected, it will reflect a more accurate traffic data as well as weather.

I don't spend money frivolously but I'd much rather have the purpose built tool to do the job. It's all about preferences and there are many choices.

Not aimed at anyone in this thread but it never ceases to amaze me how some folks will tow a rig with a combined cost well over 6 figures and not want to spend a comparatively small amount of money.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Doesn't the Garmin require frequent updates to be more accurate?
That would require and internet connection and possibly more!
And then you added the comment about pairing it to your cell phone for!!!

I gave my old GPS to the garbage can and some other single use gadgets because of newer technology that does more for less!

Aim was taken!!!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
cliff

Go with the Garmin RV 785 traffic. It's $449. Dash cam with lane departure and too close, couples to phone and phone's contacts, great routing (not up blind alleys and bad roads), installed browser so it's a tablet. Can't say anything bad.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Cire8002

I use the TomTom Trucker 600 simply because I used to drive a big truck. You can set the size, weight, and height of both vehicles and it will keep you finding low bridges. It also connects to your phone and gives you traffic updates with quicker route options on the go. Price is about $240ish at most Flying J, Pilot truck stops.
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
Cire8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
Doesn't the Garmin require frequent updates to be more accurate?
That would require and internet connection and possibly more!
And then you added the comment about pairing it to your cell phone for!!!

I gave my old GPS to the garbage can and some other single use gadgets because of newer technology that does more for less!

Aim was taken!!!
As I stated it's a personal preference. What's the issue with an internet update about every 3 or 4 month's VS cell service every time, all the the time you use a phone? Requires "possibly more"? What's that? Not any GPS I've ever owned. Pairing the Gps to the cell phone for weather etc. Not necessary to use the GPS just added features.

A smart phone does do more I agree but if you can purchase a new one for the cost of a GPS congratulations.

Throwing your "old gadgets away" is your prerogative. I'm certainly not using my first GPS, cell phone, television, radio, etc. My opinion is that my GPS does a better job than my phone, you have a different opinion. You've stated that you hate smart phones and rely on your wife to "pull her phone out" to get you around traffic. Well with my GPS I don't have to do that.

I didn't say the OP '"should buy a GPS, nor did I tell him not to as you did. His question wasn't should I but rather a recommendation on which one. From that it's seems logical to me that he's made up his mind to go with a GPS.

As I stated in y last post I wasn't "taking aim" at anyone but if choose to walk into the sights that's up to you.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Steve's 70-5

I have a Garmin RV 770, love it. You can enter your vehicle weight and height measurements and it is suppose to keep you off roads not suited for you.

The best thing I like is when driving and going though interchanges on the interstate, it will tell you which lanes to be in. Just say you are on a exit ramp and there are 3 lanes, it will tell you to be in the 2 left lanes, right lanes or what ever. This is one thing I love about the GPS. Not worrying about making last minute lane changes towing.

Not much on the phone for GPS thing. Phone has small screen and if a phone call comes in, you have to make a choice.

It was money well spent buying the Garmin GPS

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
Fishsizzle

The Garmin units are great. We used one a few years ago getting to mouseland in CA. The unit told us which lane to be in way ahead of time. It made pulling the trailer in 5+ lanes of traffic much easier.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I also like the verbal directions. It will say not only what lane to be in but on rural roads it will say something like "turn left just before the Burger King". You can download the manual at https://support.garmin.com/support/m...o=010-01768-00 . No login or info from you required to download.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
NH_Bulldog

We have always used a Garmin unit with traffic and lifetime map updates. It was about $240 and has gotten a ton of use. Our yearly trips often take us into or near Canada so we avoid international roaming and data charges. For work, I just use the Waze app on my business smartphone and it has been great. We just upgraded our in-dash touchscreen entertainment system in the truck (Ford Sync) to include factory navigation that works with SiriusXM Traffic so time will tell if it is any better.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #14
CampingRooster

Garmin DezlCam

I use the Garmin DezlCam. Similar to Garmin's RV model, but much more including a built in dash cam; evidence for those people who are constantly trying to cut in front of us. It is fully programmable for your rig's dimensions, nice large detailed directions on the screen and simple directions like " turn left after the Chevron". The camera system is fully expandable by just adding their Bluetooth cameras.
CampingRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
TK1

Avoid Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrishome2005 View Post
I am planning a long trip for 2020 and I would like to purchase a GPS before I go. I have been caught in some awkward situation because I did not have one.

Thank you.
John

Garmin has always been the"Gold Standard" in GPS units and I would definitely recommend their RV specific units. Unfortunately when I bought our current GPS I cheaped out and bought a Magellan from CW, big mistake! The first unit failed right out of the box and it took about two weeks and several emails and phone calls with customer support to get a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement isn't much better it gets lost or loses the satellite signal frequently. I saved a few bucks, but definitely not worth it!
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrishome2005 View Post

Thank you.
John
Get a RV specific GPS and MAKE SURE it is in FASTEST TIME mode, NOT shortest distance. Most if not all of the folks who make the news with gps routing issues have it setup wrong.
I have had about 7 GPS units in my life so far plus several phone based units and have never had a routing that wasn't either correct or obviously wrong and fixable with a waypoint insertion. All the in car units have been Garmin. Get the best model, get the advanced traffic and red light features etc, If you are going to spending your life on the road your life depends on the quality of your tools. Tiny cost compared to truck and RV.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #17
goodellj

I have a Rand McNally RVND 7730LM and would not buy another one. It works, BUT
-The 'lifetime maps' have not been updated for several years
-Sometimes it will give me a really puzzling route to a destination. I have had Garmin's in my cars, and I wouldn't say this has never happened with a Garmin, but it happens a lot with Rand.
-Some of the routes are real WTF head-scratchers! Different routes going out and returning. Looping 10 miles out out your way to get there.
My next big purchase is going to be a new RV GPS, and it won't be a Rand. I am thinking about a Garmin with the capability of adding a backup camera, but haven't done much research yet.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
Leatherman

Has anyone used the OHREX brand of GPS unit? Its only $59 on Amazon and has some decent reviews. I really did not want to spend North of $250 for a GPS unit. I know it is inexpensive and it usually relates to the features/programming, etc. I figured it was worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W84QD37...ustomerReviews
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #19
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
Most people today have smart phones.
Smart phones have plenty of GPS apps available that work just as well as a independent GPS unit, so you don't need to pay for a separate unit.
I hate smart phones and a few times over the last few years we have run into road closures etc and the wife pulls hers out and within a few minutes, problem fixed!!!
Alls good until you have no cell service :-P

I have the Garmin RV785 personally, which is the RV780 with the addition of a dash cam.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
Has anyone used the OHREX brand of GPS unit? Its only $59 on Amazon and has some decent reviews. I really did not want to spend North of $250 for a GPS unit. I know it is inexpensive and it usually relates to the features/programming, etc. I figured it was worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W84QD37...ustomerReviews
When you read the "product description" it reads like English was not the first language of the writer.

It's been my experience that you get what you pay for and if it's to good to be true then it probably isn't.

Think about it this way, if it really was comparable to a $250 unit then why charge only $59? Seems logical to me that if it's that good they could charge $175 (1/2 the Garmin cost), sell them like crazy and put Garmin out of business. My guess is they know people won't fight as hard over loosing $59.

But that's me. You speed you're money as you will. For me, until a PROVEN better GPS comes along my wallet stays put.

JMHO