Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
keithbeeb

tongue weight with distribution bars

Need some assistance with tongue weight and distribution hitch.
8760 weight of truck with truck attached but no distribution bars installed
7400 weight of truck with no trailer attached
8820 weight of truck with trailer attached with distribution bars attached
16400 weight of both truck and trailer

I would think they tongue weight would be smaller with the distribution bars attached. I checked the E2 manual could not find anything specific saying this would/could be the case. I understand (I think anyway) the purpose is to distribute the weight of the tongue to both the truck and trailer.

tow truck is 2015 F250 with E2 Sway hitch.
Trailer is Cougar 36' 30 RBI
keithbeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbeeb View Post
Need some assistance with tongue weight and distribution hitch.
8760 weight of truck with truck attached but no distribution bars installed
7400 weight of truck with no trailer attached
8820 weight of truck with trailer attached with distribution bars attached
16400 weight of both truck and trailer

I would think they tongue weight would be smaller with the distribution bars attached. I checked the E2 manual could not find anything specific saying this would/could be the case. I understand (I think anyway) the purpose is to distribute the weight of the tongue to both the truck and trailer.

tow truck is 2015 F250 with E2 Sway hitch.
Trailer is Cougar 36' 30 RBI
I am guessing that the bars were not on the scale at all with the first weight? They should be on the scale in the area of the tailgate when weighing.

You should be moving at least some small portion of weight back to the trailer axles. You should be moving some weight to the tow vehicle front axle. You cannot tell either from the weights posted. You can only tell total weights, not weight per axle with what you posted. Yes, the total truck weight should be less, not more.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
440justin

You need the weights per axle to really figure out what is going on.

A good guide and spreadsheet to use can be found on the following site.

http://fifthwheelst.com/conventional...alculator.html

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
keithbeeb

Would raising the ball make a difference?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbeeb View Post
Would raising the ball make a difference?
There is not enough information in your previous post to make any assessment about how much weight you're "shifting" to the trailer axles or to the front axle.

What are you trying to accomplish? Raising the ball may or may not make any difference, but any recommendation would be nothing more than a WAG without knowing the weight of your tow vehicle front/rear axles (weighed individually) in addition to the weights you posted.

If you do reweigh to get those added requirements, be sure that when you weigh "with/without" the weight distribution bars tensioned, don't take them off the hitch, just loosen them so they hang freely. The weight of the bars is a part of the weight of your tow vehicle, removing them will alter the weight and may change any recommendations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
keithbeeb

JRTJH = We just bought the camper last Aug and I am trying to get the weight correct before we start doing long distance towing. Based upon the weights I have so far (8820 - 7400) I have a tongue weight of 1420 which exceeds, with the OEM CAT IV hitch, its capacity. I am just having trouble with this as there is hardly anything in the front of the camper and the manufacturer papers say it has a tongue weight of 920. The bed of the truck is empty with a full tank of gas. With my previous camper it was so under weight I never worried about it. Not sure if it matters but the trailer is a travel trailer versus 5th Wheel. I was wondering about the bar issue but I never did find anything saying on or off so i did it both ways; off vehicle 7400lbs and on vehicle 8820lbs. it makes perfect sense to have put them on the truck bed but lesson learned i guess.