Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Lee

Mr Buddy heater install

Hi,

Completed the Mr Buddy heater supply line install and thought I would share.

I "T"ed into the furnace gas line that is under the fridge. Put a ball valve and flex hose.

Modified the air inlet grating by notching out one of the louvers. Installed 2 hinges and a hook to keep the door closed.

Take care
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0421170857.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	12354   Click image for larger version

Name:	0421170857a.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	12355   Click image for larger version

Name:	0421170858.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	12356   Click image for larger version

Name:	0421170901.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	12357  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Steve S

I'm curious, how does it vent?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
canesfan

I was wondering about that too. ^
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Lee

It's a catalytic heater rated to work inside without venting.

Instructions recommend leaving 1 window cracked open 1 inch and also the roof vent open 1 inch as it does consume oxygen.

Here's a link to the one I have:

http://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-po...a-version.html

It's alittle to much for my small TT as even on low it will run you out. Reason I got it to begin with is that it came with the quick disconnect gas fitting.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Steve S

I personally think that you're playing with your life if you use this in a trailer. Even the disclaimers say that you can only use it indoors in a few States and no where in Canada.
BTW what's wrong with just using your furnace?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Lee

Hi,

I linked to the wrong model. Here is the one I have:

http://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-portable-heater.html

Here is a quote for the user manual:

This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational enclosures, having means for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans. It may be used for emergency indoor heating when connected to a disposable 1 lb. propane cylinder and for indoor use in commercial enclosures, having means for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as construction trailers or temporary work enclosures.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #7
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I personally think that you're playing with your life if you use this in a trailer. Even the disclaimers say that you can only use it indoors in a few States and no where in Canada.
I exclusively dry camp in the high altitude Cascade mountains (3500ft). This heater users zero battery power to operate. The furnace is battery hungry!!!

On 10 day trips I no longer need to recharge my duel batteries as I have also replaced all light bulbs with LEDS.

Read the info concerning this heater and you will see it is made for indoor use. Just crack a window and a roof vent for ventilation.... which most folks do already to keep condensation down. I also have a CO2 monitor installed and a low Oz monitor just to be safe.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're using your Buddy heater on large propane tanks, be sure to use the inline filters !!!! The oily "odorant" that's added to propane (so you can smell a leak) will get trapped in the oxygen sensor in the heater and foul it so it won't operate. When that happens, the Buddy heater safety feature (O2 sensor) becomes inoperative and the heater won't shut off in a "low oxygen" environment. When that happens, using the heater in an enclosed area becomes very risky, maybe even dangerous.

I've got two Buddy heaters, one with an inoperable oxygen sensor that will keep burning until it uses all the oxygen in an enclosed area (Ice fishing shanty). We found out the hard way a couple years ago when we couldn't keep the heater going while we were out "tip-up" fishing and using the shanty to get warm. Every time we'd open the shanty, the heater was cold, get it started again, warm up, go back out on the ice, get cold, go back to the shanty and the heater was cold. Fortunately, the gas flow safety was working or it might have become a big boom along with not staying lit.

Just be careful with that heater. If you want catalytic heat, you might look at the Olympic heaters. They are designed for RV use and are much safer than the Buddy heaters.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Lee

Hi JRTJH,

I use a quick disconnect line plumbed into the supply line to the furnace using the TT's bottles as depicted in the pictures.

It is my understanding from research that the filter is not required in this method.

Your comments are most welcome.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-23-2017, 04:03 AM   #10
notanlines

Lee, I'm with Steve on this one. I also am afraid you're playing with your life. I certainly hope you take every available precaution when using this device. Another thing that makes me nervous is the "quick connect propane connection." Be very careful; we don't have enough members just yet!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 AM   #11
Lee

Folks,

I sincerely appreciate the concern over my use of this heater.

But,.... please take into account that this heater is designed FOR SAFE OPERATION in an RV, tent, cabin, truck canopy, etc.

I installed a "Ball" valve so there is no gas in the line except when I am using the heater,.... no worries with leaks. The heater has a built in O2 sensor and,... I installed a stand alone O2 sensor in the TT. Also, the TT came with a CO2 detector.

I used this heater on a 12 day elk hunt trip this past Oct. and it worked great. Just keep a window in the front of the TT cracked an inch and the roof vent in the bathroom in the back of the tt cracked and all is good.

If you want to talk scary, one of our hunters runs a burner on the stove top on low all nite in his Rig to keep the chill out. The rest of us have preached at him till the cows come home concerning this but he still continues.....

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It's a catalytic heater rated to work inside without venting.

Instructions recommend leaving 1 window cracked open 1 inch and also the roof vent open 1 inch as it does consume oxygen.

Here's a link to the one I have:

http://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-po...a-version.html

It's alittle to much for my small TT as even on low it will run you out. Reason I got it to begin with is that it came with the quick disconnect gas fitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
X2! to the second post, that heater is consuming oxygen to burn, sorry I will listen to my furnace rather than live with a silent killer!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

If you go back and read, the O.P.'s original reason for installing this heater is its ability to heat the trailer without using battery power. He also stated that while using it, a couple of fresh air sources are open.

Since we don't boondock, this isn't something I would use, but I have seen this and similar devices in customers units.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
canesfan

Nice install. I would do what John suggested and use the filters though. I'm not a doom and gloom type of person and it sounds like you are taking safety precautions. Just don't forget to open windows/vents. Stay safe.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #15
Lee

Hi,

I contacted the Mr Heater cooperation and inquired as to the use/need of the filter when using a regulated low pressure gas supply line such as my install. I told them that as far as I understood, I would not need one in my application. Here is their response:

"You are correct because the fuel source going to the hose feeding the heater is already low pressure that you don't need a fuel filter. The fuel filter is only needed if you are supplying high pressure to one of the internal regulators on either side of the heater. In that case, you would need a fuel filter to filter out the oils and the plasticizers that are coming out of the hose due to the high pressure gas flow. I hope this helps. Have a great day! "

Posting this for others that may be considering this set-up.

Thanks to all for the comments/concerns.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #16
fatcatzzz

Thanks for clearing this up.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #17
Hodgy

I carry one of those buddy heaters in the truck all winter, great safety item. I can see the advantages of using one in a trailer. The furnace does suck a bunch of power to run and I hate the sound of the blower.

I would think that heater would be to hot to run all night, they throw a lot of heat.

I will have my Buddy Heater with me camping, if just for a back-up. I believe in redundancy.
I have a back-up generator to my back-up generator at home.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #18
Lee

Hodgy.. thanks for the comments.

I recently returned from a 13 day Elk hunt up in the mountains here in central Washington. We got snowed on and had temps in the low 30's upper 20's. The heater worked great,.... almost to great.

With the heater on it's lowest setting,... I would still wake up in the middle of the nite and turn it off as it was to warm in the TT.

Then, when the alarm would go off to go hunting I would fire the heater off on medium, start the coffee to percolating and climb back in bed till the coffee was done. By that time the heater had the TT comfortable.

Thanks,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE

Tags
heat, heater