Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
flipazn

1st Timer Looking for Advice on WDH with a SUV

Hello. I'm looking for some advice here. I have a 2013 Lincoln Navigator with the HD Tow Package and I'm towing a 2014 Keystone Hideout 24BHWE. I just got back from our first weekend trip to San Diego (we live outside of Los Angeles), and I wanted to get some advice from you veterans. I had my TT weighed (all 4 tires, hitched, unhitched, etc.) through RV Weigh in Indio, CA and I'm attaching the PDF file that had my load info. I should clarify that my TT was not fully loaded when I weighed it (not ideal, I know, but what's done is done). I'm assuming that I will need to upgrade to a Weight Distribution Hitch for my upcoming trip to Yosemite over spring break (dry camping for a week). I guess my question is what WDH would best fit my needs. I understand that my trip to San Diego was easy in terms of terrain, conditions, etc., but I had absolutely no problem pulling the trailer. I have read so much information regarding SUV towing, that I am thoroughly confused at this point. The gentleman weighing my RV said that my current weights did not require me to get a WDH, but that it wouldn't be a bad idea once I started loading up the TT as well as the TV. I have a family of 6: Myself, my wife, and 4 young children which is the biggest reason I needed to have an SUV vs. a Truck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Weigh Edited.pdf (538.5 KB, 286 views)
flipazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
RLM5150

Those numbers do look good. You said the TT was not fully loaded, but what about the SUV. Did you have your family in the SUV when you got weighed? I think that is more important than loading up the TT.

Either way, looking at your weights, I would recommend you look at a 6K WDH setup. I really like the Equalizer setup. The e2 series is cheaper than the original and performs very well.

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

The 6,000 lb setup would have bars rated at 600 lbs, which is near the 550 lb tongue weight you showed. If you look at what brands / designs others are using, stay in the 6K range for your setup.

I think you will benefit as much from the sway control of the e2 (or similar setup) as you would the weight redistribution.

Definitely re-weigh with your family in the SUV if they weren't with you the first time. IF that was the case, you may be surprised as how much your numbers change with the front and rear axles.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You will want a WDH with sway control. A WDH alone would help you but with the SUV as a tow vehicle, a 7500 lb trailer behind you and 6 people in the SUV you will have issues with sway that can be mitigated with the sway control. The weight slip says your tongue weight is 550 and you said you're not loaded so it will go up. If the GVW of the trailer is 74-7500 (and it will probably be close to that with 6 people) your tongue weight could well be over 800 lbs.

Considerations: What is the max load for the receiver on the Navigator? 500 lbs? What does the payload (carrying capacity) sticker inside the door say that is? With 800+ lbs on the hitch what does that leave you for people, cargo and the weight of the hitch?

I use an Equalizer WDH with sway control and am very happy. Others have other opinions but when you get one do not skimp on this aspect and remember you get what you pay for.

Another note: the weight slip said you have Trailer King tires. I assume they are from 2014. Take them off and replace them with good tires before you leave to hopefully prevent a catastrophic accident. Good luck in getting it fixed up. Oh, the Navigator would probably benefit from air bags in the rear as well...and, make sure the tires on the Navigator are in good shape and preferably LTs.

Additional: load the trailer completely for traveling. I think you will find that the tongue weight will increase significantly. Find WDH bars that fit that weight plus some.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
flipazn

More questions!

The HD Tow Package is supposed to tow close to 9K lbs. and 900 lbs. tongue weight, but when you add up the weight of the TV (GVWR) you're left with around 7500 lbs. of towing capacity before you reach the GCWR. Talk about rounding up! I'm curious to see how my tongue weight increases when I load up both the TV and the TT as well as adding fresh water for our stay in Yosemite. Would I be close to maxing out the tongue weight, or is that where the weight distribution hitch comes in handy? Forgive my ignorance on these things... Is it absolutely necessary that I change to LT tires, or will the WD hitch be enough to control sway? Will switching to LT tires affect the daily ride versus the P tires? Also, my children are still very young (10, 5, 3, 1) with a combined weight of ~100 lbs. I understand they will grow, however, by the time that happens we will probably be changing our setup. Thank you to all who have given advice. I will be taking my fully loaded setup to a local CAT scale soon to weigh everything leading up to my Yosemite trip, and after I get those weights I should be be posting the numbers here so y'all can help me decide which WD hitch will work best with my setup.

2014 Keystone Hideout 24BHWE
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L ecoboost
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Air Lift Ride Control Airbags
Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
notanlines

What Rod and Danny ^^^^^said. You will definitely benefit from a nice WDH. No need to go top of the line if you will be changing RV's or TV's in the near future. (Guess what? Yep, we can all see y'all heading to RV shows and upgrading in about 2 years!) Enjoy these days camping with your family.....you will all remember them forever!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
flipazn

Been awhile since being on this forum, but I wanted to say thanks to all who have given me advice. I ended up buying the blue ox sway pro hitch and it has been more than amazing. Makes pulling my trailer a breeze and I have yet to experience a white knuckle drive towing my 26’ trailer with my SUV. The hitch is HEAVY, so I can see how that can be a deterrent for some, but since I’m still relatively young it has not been an issue yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Keystone Hideout 24BHWE
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L ecoboost
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Air Lift Ride Control Airbags
Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
ken56

Upgrade the tow vehicle tires too to the LT tires. Good Michelins will give you a good every day ride. Get rid of those Trailer Kings on the TT and put some good 10 ply rated ones on it. Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis 8008. I replaced the Trailer Kings on my new rig and they only had 3k miles on them. These tires have stiffer sidewalls and will eliminate any tendency to wiggle, unlike sway wiggle is just irritating as you can feel the back end wiggle a little while towing. After I replaced my tires I could feel the difference in stability immediately.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote