Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
CaptnJohn

LPG bluetooth Tank Check

Anyone use these yet? Looking for feedback on them. So far only a few positive comments and one on the rubber spacers for the tank bottom being negative. Would like to hear more as this is the ONLY thing missed on the class A.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...it-monitor.htm

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
MattHelm21

In installed one of these kits in our Fuzion. The kit is the one in your link. It came with two sensors that attach magnetically to the bottom of the tanks and the dedicated monitor paired to each via Bluetooth.

I chose to mount the monitor to the wall in the kitchen which is shared by the bathroom and only about 5 to 10 feet from the tanks. Unfortunately, I can't comment about accuracy yet. I'm still only on my first propane fill and the rig is winterized now. We have only had one weekend trip prior and the only propane used was the hot water heater. Each month, I exercise the generator, and also run the furnace for a bit and have finally noticed one of the tank's level is dropping so I have hopes this will turn out to be a good investment.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
In installed one of these kits in our Fuzion. The kit is the one in your link. It came with two sensors that attach magnetically to the bottom of the tanks and the dedicated monitor paired to each via Bluetooth.

I chose to mount the monitor to the wall in the kitchen which is shared by the bathroom and only about 5 to 10 feet from the tanks. Unfortunately, I can't comment about accuracy yet. I'm still only on my first propane fill and the rig is winterized now. We have only had one weekend trip prior and the only propane used was the hot water heater. Each month, I exercise the generator, and also run the furnace for a bit and have finally noticed one of the tank's level is dropping so I have hopes this will turn out to be a good investment.
Have you tried the app on your cell phone yet?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 12-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

OK-- had to order. I'll mount the monitor next to the cabinet in the hallway that hides the switches. Too bad it seems not enough room in there.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 12-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
MattHelm21

I didn't bother trying the app on the iPhone. Traditionally, speaking for iPhones and in my case only, the Bluetooth can be frustrating to connect, especially if you have many other Bluetooth connections. At any given time, I have a headset, 3 different cars, a speaker, and now the In-Command system for the rig paired. One more item and I think my phone might self destruct.

I don't do day to day stuff with Andriod devices so someone else will have to chime in here.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I have no experience with this system, but got an email from PPL Motorhomes this morning with an "exclusive sale" on the system. Normally about $120, the two tank sensor/ one monitor system is on sale for $87.95 until January 6th. That's a 25% discount if my math is correct.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have no experience with this system, but got an email from PPL Motorhomes this morning with an "exclusive sale" on the system. Normally about $120, the two tank sensor/ one monitor system is on sale for $87.95 until January 6th. That's a 25% discount if my math is correct.....
Ordered it. The lady taking the order either had a bad connection or hearing problem. When I did not receive the email confirmation I called and found she had 1 letter in the email address wrong. Reading the corrected email ~~ found my last name spelled wrong even though spelled for her twice. Also found the street name off ~~ way off. Thankfully, sent by USPS priority mail as the PO figured it out and it was delivered in 4 days. You should get the confirmation quickly, if not do not wait to call and get it so all can be verified.
I'll be installing Thursday as we leave for 2 months on Saturday.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 01-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Ruko

Looks like a handy product. Unfortunately they do not ship to Canada. I found a local dealer who says they can get some so I plan to put in an order. I still have a few months before we can put them to use so I am interested to hear some feed back from you guys who have they already.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruko View Post
Looks like a handy product. Unfortunately they do not ship to Canada. I found a local dealer who says they can get some so I plan to put in an order. I still have a few months before we can put them to use so I am interested to hear some feed back from you guys who have they already.
I plan to have it going before I go to FL next week and will give my thoughts before you begin to warm up in the north. If you run into trouble getting them they can be shipped to me and I'll be happy to forward it to you. My brother ships 250 - 450 parcels worldwide weekly so it cannot be too difficult.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
RK1978

After reading these posts, I got on line and ordered this unit-I had been looking for a way to monitor gas usage. I guess the trick would be to remember to remove the sensor if a tank gets swapped. I could not tell if these are visible when picking up a tank.
2008 Hideout 26B
1996 K2500 6.5 TD
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
MattHelm21

The sensors are magnetic and attach to the bottom of the tank where they are hidden by the metal ring/stand. They depend on being centered in order to read correctly. I feel it would be possible for them to fall off or shift if the tank is handled roughly enough. It might be preferable to remove them when filling since it's necessary to check the position anyway when reinstalling the tank. Also, if you place the tank on un-level or soft ground, you risk damaging the sensor. I haven't yet refilled a tank since purchasing the system so I can't be sure yet.

One other new comment: It's been just above and below freezing here and when I go out to run the generator, I check the propane level a couple of times and I notice on the second or third try the LED's on the monitor are visibly dimming. This may be an old batttery going dead or the cold causing the battery to perform poorly.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
cpaulsen

I have 2 tanks..........and do not have them so they auto switch. When one runs out...I switch to the full tank and take the empty to get filled. Never had to worry about checking the propane level.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I have 2 tanks..........and do not have them so they auto switch. When one runs out...I switch to the full tank and take the empty to get filled. Never had to worry about checking the propane level.

That may be okay, but I leave both cylinders open so when I run out on one cylinder at 3AM in 30 degree temps, I don't have to get up and trudge outside to get my furnace going again. Your auto switchover regulator should have an indicator to tell you when the cylinder your drawing from goes empty. Simply switch the handle at the top and refill the empty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
EVMIII

I was looking at these a while back and decided against because of a couple YouTube reviews. Problem seemed to be they were only calibrated for 20 gallon tanks and most newer RVs had 30 gallon tanks. Eventually would register, but % were always off.

Be interested in feedback from anyone using it that has 30 gallon tanks.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
I was looking at these a while back and decided against because of a couple YouTube reviews. Problem seemed to be they were only calibrated for 20 gallon tanks and most newer RVs had 30 gallon tanks. Eventually would register, but % were always off.

Be interested in feedback from anyone using it that has 30 gallon tanks.
This is only TRUE if you choose to buy their remote monitor, which as you said is calibrated to 20 lb tanks. However their APP lets you select 20,30,and 40 lb tanks and then indicates in either inches or percent full as a measurement. Their App also lets you monitor sensor battery strength as well as the blue tooth signal strength. I guess you can say when the 30+ lb tanks get down to the levels of a 20 lb tank the level indicator lights on their remote monitor can be used. Still too cold out for this old guy to play with it
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
EVMIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
This is only TRUE if you choose to buy their remote monitor, which as you said is calibrated to 20 lb tanks. However their APP lets you select 20,30,and 40 lb tanks and then indicates in either inches or percent full as a measurement. Their App also lets you monitor sensor battery strength as well as the blue tooth signal strength. I guess you can say when the 30+ lb tanks get down to the levels of a 20 lb tank the level indicator lights on their remote monitor can be used. Still too cold out for this old guy to play with it
Thanks for the reply, are you using it now on a 30 or 40 gallon tank? How is the accuracy (best you can tell). Like you, I'm not real interested in wandering out in the cold and dark only to find out I'm out of propane. Not much more expensive than a mechanical guage (and I don't have room in my tank area for the mechanical guage). Thanks

Bud
Old 02-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Two 30 lb tanks, Just stayed out there long enough to take tanks out , put sensors on, check signal strength, readjust sensor location and dashed back into a warmer climate. Oh and checked that mickey mouse remote monitor to see if it works. That remote with its colors really looks like a kids toy. Again since it is calibrated for a 20 LB tank and using it on a 30LB tank, it will be a while before you see a change in the indication (all lights on indicating TANK FULL) As it gets a little warmer I will start playing around to see how accurate they are. I think others have the system so they may report before I.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
MattHelm21

The monitor may be calibrated to 20 lbs tanks(mine are 30's). I really can't say for sure. It did take some time for it to start showing a drop on the tank which is in use. One LED down so far(I think it is 5 LEDS). The usefulness of the system to me isn't reading the first 10 lb drop. It's the last 10 lbs that matters. I only need to know when the tank is empty. This may only be because of the way I manage the tanks. I don't wait for both tanks to go empty. I want to know when one goes empty so I can take it and have it refilled.

I haven't tried the app on the phone but from the description it has more features than the monitor but what I want from this system is a quick way for anyone to look and see the status on the tanks. I might experiment to see if I can get the monitor panel and the phone paired at the same time but the monitor panel has to come first so someone else doesn't have to find my cell phone to check status.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That may be okay, but I leave both cylinders open so when I run out on one cylinder at 3AM in 30 degree temps, I don't have to get up and trudge outside to get my furnace going again. Your auto switchover regulator should have an indicator to tell you when the cylinder your drawing from goes empty. Simply switch the handle at the top and refill the empty.
X2
I don't see a need to know just how much propane in the tank in use if I know the I will switch to the other when the 1st runs out. I have never been in a condition where I burned a full 30# tank a day worst was about one every three days.
Once the auto switch over happens the regulator shows half red, and I mover the handle to the full tank and remove and fill the empty tank.

I just check the regulator as needed based on how many propane devices I am running.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
Todd727

Instead of putting the green rubber feet on the bottom of my tanks, I added a piece of steel to my tank trays which elevates the tank bottom enough to clear the sensor. This way, I can swap out to a spare full tank by just moving the sensor and I don't have to move those feet.

Tags
tank