Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
randy69

Voyager backup camera system

Camp world selling a voyager remote camera & monitor wv05541.. Looking at the YouTube advertisement and specs. They say great signal up to 60'. Anybody out there have one to share experience .

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
xcntrk

I use this system. It leverages the WVCMS130AP auto-paring wireless camera which is really slick. I bought a 2nd camera and use one on my other car-hauler enclosed trailer. I only use one camera at a time (obviously) and since they're auto-pairing it's easy to switch between them, you just pair with the one on the trailer you're towing at the given time.

As for range, I had the RV one installed on my old 32' Travel Trailer and the unit had sufficient signal strength out the box and worked great. When I moved up to my current 38' fifth wheel, the unit is at the very end of it's effective range. Still able to use as a backup camera, but going down the road and the signal will drop out frequently.

I bought an antenna extension kit for the WVCMS130AP camera and was bringing myself to the daunting task of running the extension half way up the coach. Then I noticed the extension kit comes with a long(er) high gain antenna then that of the original one on the camera. So on a whim I simply removed the original and screwed on the longer one and wha'lla it now has enough signal strength that I don't have to run the extension wire. I suspect that if your rig is over 40' that you'll need the full extension in order to maintain enough signal strength to be useful.

As for overall camera performance, it works pretty damn well. I like the fact that you can turn-up the audio and hear what's behind (in addition to see). A couple drawbacks are; if you wire off the indicator lights (easiest) then you're forced to keep those running in order for the camera to operate, and the unit doesn't have any sort of scale or visual bars that can overlay on the image which is useful for backup purposes (like a typical backup camera would).

Otherwise I'm happy with the purchase and would buy again if I had it to do all over.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
DetnNet

Lightbulb Helpful to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I use this system. It leverages the WVCMS130AP auto-paring wireless camera which is really slick. I bought a 2nd camera and use one on my other car-hauler enclosed trailer. I only use one camera at a time (obviously) and since they're auto-pairing it's easy to switch between them, you just pair with the one on the trailer you're towing at the given time.

As for range, I had the RV one installed on my old 32' Travel Trailer and the unit had sufficient signal strength out the box and worked great. When I moved up to my current 38' fifth wheel, the unit is at the very end of it's effective range. Still able to use as a backup camera, but going down the road and the signal will drop out frequently.

I bought an antenna extension kit for the WVCMS130AP camera and was bringing myself to the daunting task of running the extension half way up the coach. Then I noticed the extension kit comes with a long(er) high gain antenna then that of the original one on the camera. So on a whim I simply removed the original and screwed on the longer one and wha'lla it now has enough signal strength that I don't have to run the extension wire. I suspect that if your rig is over 40' that you'll need the full extension in order to maintain enough signal strength to be useful.

As for overall camera performance, it works pretty damn well. I like the fact that you can turn-up the audio and hear what's behind (in addition to see). A couple drawbacks are; if you wire off the indicator lights (easiest) then you're forced to keep those running in order for the camera to operate, and the unit doesn't have any sort of scale or visual bars that can overlay on the image which is useful for backup purposes (like a typical backup camera would).

Otherwise I'm happy with the purchase and would buy again if I had it to do all over.
I saw the above and have the similar situation. I just installed the WVOS541 kit and find the reception is on the edge. Works when stopped or intermittently when driving. I just ordered the extension kit from jensendirect. I am hoping to just swap out the antennas. My 5er is 37'. I am glad you posted this. Your solution may save me some work and is certainly a first step to try. Thanks for posting. BTW like the audio for listening to potential trailer noises.

2016 Cougar 333MKS
2015 Silverado HD
DetnNet is offline   Reply With Quote