Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
wado66

Black Water Valve

I have a 2000 Montana that has a black water gate valve that needs replacing.
This valve is extremely hard to open and close. I assume it is just clogged in the track with trash and/or rusty rods.
I want to replace this valve before my camping season begins.
2 questions.
Are gate valves universal in regards to size/diameter?
Are gate valves typically easy to replace?
Ok, one more question, where is a good place online to find a black water gate valve replacement?
wado66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 AM   #2
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado66 View Post
I have a 2000 Montana that has a black water gate valve that needs replacing.
This valve is extremely hard to open and close. I assume it is just clogged in the track with trash and/or rusty rods.
I want to replace this valve before my camping season begins.
2 questions.
Are gate valves universal in regards to size/diameter?
Are gate valves typically easy to replace?
Ok, one more question, where is a good place online to find a black water gate valve replacement?
There are at least two different manufacturers of gate valves used in RVs: Valterra and Bristol. You can find Valterra replacement valves and seals very easily on the Internet and in RV supply stores. Bristol is a different story, so of course that's what I have on my 2009 Raptor.

Note that there are two different lines of Valterra valves, so make certain that you get parts for the right line. As far as I know, there is only one style of Bristol.

I was never able to get a definitive answer on whether gate valve bodies and seals are interchangeable between Bristol and either of the two styles of Valterra, so I kept looking and finally found Bristol parts at a fairly close Holiday World location.

Your black valve is most likely a 3" valve. Besides matching the size, you also need to know if you have a rod or cable-actuated valve, and if cable, how long the cable is.

As to the "easy" question, that depends. I've owned exactly two trailers, and one was very simple to replace and the other was a pure PITA that required hours of work, cutting and repairing the waste plumbing, and a "poo shower". It all depends on how the plumbing is routed and if there's sufficient clearance to separate the flanges enough to slide the old body and seals out and the new ones in.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote