Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #61
notanlines

Linix, if you had one would your wife drive it as a daily driver? See, mine neither. Otherwise it would be in front of the Suites!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #62
vampress_me

Dan,

How in the world did you get a dually F-350 without clearance lights on the cab?!?! I’m jealous! I tried to order our 2019 like that since I dislike the clearance cab lights and Ford said you could not do it on the DRW, only the SRW.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #63
JSisemoreTX

2017, f350 DRW, Lariat, FX4

Loving my f350 but have never had a f450. It rides smoother than my f250 ever did! With the long bed, it is a bit$ch to turn though when backing into a tight spot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210311_144522.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	33192  
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #64
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Dan,

How in the world did you get a dually F-350 without clearance lights on the cab?!?! I’m jealous! I tried to order our 2019 like that since I dislike the clearance cab lights and Ford said you could not do it on the DRW, only the SRW.
That picture is hard to see, but I do have can lights, all five of the little LED's. Here's another angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D719D5AA-273C-4483-A8D2-8440DF6F8201.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	33193  
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #65
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Linix, if you had one would your wife drive it as a daily driver? See, mine neither. Otherwise it would be in front of the Suites!
My DW doesn’t have an issue driving our DRW.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
My DW doesn’t have an issue driving our DRW.
You know, I've been out in the wind and dirt working on my fence, come in and read this stuff - 350 vs 450...or is it gas vs diesel or....?? Maybe we have too much time on our hands.

My DW doesn't tow my RV, mine does. I have a diesel truck, you have a gas truck. 350 vs 450; GM vs Ram vs Ford....the list is endless. IMO, as the above post illustrates, in all those situations (and more) we just keep getting deeper and deeper into silliness. Drive by gassers and "rev the diesel" to make them jealous? Please. DW tows my RV but yours doesn't? Help. Heck, my wife's blonde..your's is brunette; MY DW had cancer and survived....Someone else didn't....What the heck?

Mine ain't better than yours; Mine has nothing to do with your life or situation. We've gotten into a tit for tat situation on many of these things that doesn't help a soul IMO. I appreciate what another has and how they use it. I have no issue, or desire, to defend or deficate on someone else's decisions.

This is as a member; we keep having these threads that seem to be driven by "my dog's bigger than your dog"; why? I like/love what I have, have every means to buy anything I want....why do I (anyone else) need to hammer someone because it's not what "I" like? IMO we need to maybe just accept that "my" choice isn't the best for every human on the planet, it's .....my choice, not anyone elses. Now, I'm going to wash 5 lbs. of W TX dirt off me, eat something and hit the sack....but I feel better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #67
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You know, I've been out in the wind and dirt working on my fence, come in and read this stuff - 350 vs 450...or is it gas vs diesel or....?? Maybe we have too much time on our hands.

My DW doesn't tow my RV, mine does. I have a diesel truck, you have a gas truck. 350 vs 450; GM vs Ram vs Ford....the list is endless. IMO, as the above post illustrates, in all those situations (and more) we just keep getting deeper and deeper into silliness. Drive by gassers and "rev the diesel" to make them jealous? Please. DW tows my RV but yours doesn't? Help. Heck, my wife's blonde..your's is brunette; MY DW had cancer and survived....Someone else didn't....What the heck?

Mine ain't better than yours; Mine has nothing to do with your life or situation. We've gotten into a tit for tat situation on many of these things that doesn't help a soul IMO. I appreciate what another has and how they use it. I have no issue, or desire, to defend or deficate on someone else's decisions.

This is as a member; we keep having these threads that seem to be driven by "my dog's bigger than your dog"; why? I like/love what I have, have every means to buy anything I want....why do I (anyone else) need to hammer someone because it's not what "I" like? IMO we need to maybe just accept that "my" choice isn't the best for every human on the planet, it's .....my choice, not anyone elses. Now, I'm going to wash 5 lbs. of W TX dirt off me, eat something and hit the sack....but I feel better.
Your right..I get carried away sometimes. My apologies if I offended anyone with my opinions. The fact is they are all good trucks if they get you to a campground safely.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #68
JSisemoreTX

....I like reading these threads. I didn't know the differences between an f350 and a f450 .....until I read similar threads. Then I learned about turning radius differences, different sizes tires, etc....pros/cons. We can never make the mistake of assuming that other readers know what we know. Many will read these threads and pick up something new. Consumer education leads to better choices. But I absolutely agree that what is right for 1 person may not be for another.
Payload Capacity - 2616
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #69
linux3

Quote:
My wife doesn't drive my Silverado 1500 so I think a Freightliner would be out of the question.

I signed us up for a class on driving your TT at Wilkins RV in Victor.
Learned a lot on backing up and parking but the funny part was wife driving a 2500HD Diesel with a 30" TT
She is 5'2 and couldn't really see over the hood.
Fun times because it wasn't my truck.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 AM   #70
DWBinRI

I went with the 450 this time ordered it from the factory to get exactly what I wanted. You just can't beat it much better than the 350 I replaced.
DWBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #71
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I'm sure it's obvious but my irritation, aggravation and frustration from dealing with a sandstorm and 40+mph winds while trying to do fence work was showing a bit in the above post - especially after having a big gust catch a 5' wide steel framed wooden gate and hit me right in the keister while I was bent over tightening a bolt. Like to broke my neck against the other steel frame.

The post wasn't to offend anyone and I hope I didn't. Anytime there is a thread with "x vs y" it can go all over the place. Just seems lately we go a little more off the deep end. Maybe it's being cooped up, maybe the time of year.....maybe it's me. Anyway, been out again this morning and the winds are starting so maybe the next clear day I can put this 10gal of sealer on the fence.....maybe.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #72
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Wow. My dog IS bigger than you dog. His name is Presley (guess my wife is a fan). He is a St. Bernard/Alsatian mix. BTW: Anybody that lives in W. TX and complains about wind and dust.... God bless you! Why don't you move down to the Hill Country which was the original Garden of Eden?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wow. My dog IS bigger than you dog. His name is Presley (guess my wife is a fan). He is a St. Bernard/Alsatian mix. BTW: Anybody that lives in W. TX and complains about wind and dust.... God bless you! Why don't you move down to the Hill Country which was the original Garden of Eden?

Lived in Central TX (Marble Falls) and loved it. Unfortunately work, and where it sends you, are/were the priorities. Complain about the wind and dust? Done it for over 70 years and will until the day I die - I hate it but life is life.....and that is when DW says she will live here and not leave, so that leaves me 2 choices; leave her or stay and complain. Obviously it's the latter. I guess the silver lining is that I'll have my trailer back in a week or 2 and once I give it a going over I will head somewhere that is green and has water. That way I can complain about humidity, heat, mosquitoes, etc. - but I won't have sand in my hair, teeth and craw.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #74
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure it's obvious but my irritation, aggravation and frustration from dealing with a sandstorm and 40+mph winds while trying to do fence work was showing a bit in the above post - especially after having a big gust catch a 5' wide steel framed wooden gate and hit me right in the keister while I was bent over tightening a bolt. Like to broke my neck against the other steel frame.

The post wasn't to offend anyone and I hope I didn't. Anytime there is a thread with "x vs y" it can go all over the place. Just seems lately we go a little more off the deep end. Maybe it's being cooped up, maybe the time of year.....maybe it's me. Anyway, been out again this morning and the winds are starting so maybe the next clear day I can put this 10gal of sealer on the fence.....maybe.
We my response to NoTanlines, comes from the fact we full time and the DRW is our only vehicle. We see full timers that have a TV and a car. The DW chases the DH and TV and trailer, this worked even less for the DW, she is comfortable driving the DRW. My youngest DD, has horses and drives a DRW, not only when towing, but also running errands.
I agree, it is to each their own, but I want enough TV for what I am towing, or what I might tow in the future.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #75
notanlines

Russ, I'm not sure how you took my post concerning the hauler, but DW drives our DRW every day, triple tows without complaint, always drove our 38' Fountain Lightening as fast as it would go (83), AND put it on the trailer every time. But she puts her foot down when it comes to a $150K hauler as a daily driver. She's a tough old bird!
I just wasn't sure how the previous post was construed.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #76
jasin1

Quote:
Russ, I'm not sure how you took my post concerning the hauler, but DW drives our DRW every day, triple tows without complaint, always drove our 38' Fountain Lightening as fast as it would go (83), AND put it on the trailer every time. But she puts her foot down when it comes to a $150K hauler as a daily driver. She's a tough old bird!
I think he misunderstood your post about the freight liner being a daily driver...he thought you may be saying your wife would not drive a drw..that’s what I took from the exchange You were talking about your wife would not like a freight liner or semi for a daily driver ..sorry for butting in
Old 04-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #77
jasin1

Quote:
Now that 38’ fountain really interests me... just had a older 90’s scarab go by my house as it’s around 80deg today. Made a lot of noise but would be lucky for him to see 65.. my boat burns 26 gph at cruise, around 22 knots

I wouldn’t want to see your fuel burn at 83 mph...80 gallons an hour?
Sounds like a lot of fun though
Old 04-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #78
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Now that 38’ fountain really interests me... just had a older 90’s scarab go by my house as it’s around 80deg today. Made a lot of noise but would be lucky for him to see 65.. my boat burns 26 gph at cruise, around 22 knots

I wouldn’t want to see your fuel burn at 83 mph...80 gallons an hour?
Sounds like a lot of fun though

How do you fish for crappie in those things?? Now take my daddy's 1950 14' Lone Star and 10hp Johnson....THEN you can work your way into those things! It only has a 6 gal. tank so wouldn't go far with the go fast boats.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #79
jasin1

Quote:
How do you fish for crappie in those things?? Now take my daddy's 1950 14' Lone Star and 10hp Johnson....THEN you can work your way into those things! It only has a 6 gal. tank so wouldn't go far with the go fast boats.
Nothing wrong with that. I like havin a little rowboat. I’m kicking myself for selling the last little one I had because i got tired of moving it around the yard . Grew up at my grandparents and always had an old rowboat I took out all year round

My apologies for steering the thread into the water
Old 06-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #80
bcintx

Update

Thought I would post an update. Couldn't find a 350 DRW or 450 that met my requirements anywhere around.

Went on a 4000 mile trip from TX to Arches NP, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain NP, Great Sand Dunes NP, and back to TX. The current truck pulled the fiver just fine - it is well within the "towing" weight. And between the Tow/Haul mode and the engine brake it stopped it just fine (hardly had to use the brakes at all going down hills).

Two things were in my favor - It never rained on us while pulling the trailer, and we had no panic stops.

However, there was a high wind advisory as we traveled north through Utah - we got back yesterday and I went down to the ford dealer and ordered a F450 this afternoon.

I'm also looking forward to having a long bed. I have kissed the cab with the fiver more times than I would like to admit. At least the only damage so far has been some rubbed off paint.

Oh! and a 48 gallon fuel tank. Whoever designed the short bed super duty to have a 26 gallon fuel tank must have had a really small bladder.

Now to wait and see when it actually arrives. I still haven't been able to drive one - the dealer said I could have my deposit back if I don't like the way the truck feels.

2022 F450 Lariat CC 4X4 in Atlas Blue (new color for 2022 super duty)
2021 Cougar 316rls
bcintx is offline   Reply With Quote