Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #21
Ken / Claudia

Unfortunately overloaded pickups with tires that look flat on the rear axle are seen around town here on all sizes of pickups. Now that I live in a town supported by farmers and rapid growth. Construction guys, sod, dirt, rock, produce. It seems some load by what will fit in the bed vs what is a safe weight. BTW, back in Portland while working patrol at OSP. I got support to conduct a test. I barrowed portable scales from ODOT. They fit in the trunk. For 3 months weighted many overloaded vehicles. I think I made enough money to buy the scales. In the end OSP would not buy any. The reason was money and "We have scales already set up, work overweight vehicles near them." In Oregon, police are allowed to tell motorist to weight if within 5 miles of a scale. If suspected of overweight.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #22
marski13

Hummm I am still learning however, he may have some issues later. Looks like lots of weight on the bumper and a slight V action going on. I wonder if the steering wheel is floating?
Old 02-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #23
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motorsport View Post
So I read this post about a fellow RV’r that was traveling down the highway with a potential catastrophic failure, that in worse case scenario could take the life of the owner and additional innocents, and the forum replies with smug comments that you can’t fix stupid? I submit that missing the exit and making an attempt to alert the driver of the hazard is where my mind went. Where’s the fellowship with you’all?
My instinct for self-preservation precludes my desire to drive up alongside somebody who is risking a blowout and may come my way.
That's already happened once in my life. I'm not giving any second chances.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #24
marski13

I am sure he would appreciate it ..I know i would. If anyone see me out there please stop me and let me know. I am a novice and any help from someone that has been there and done that I appreciate them. You could have save my life along with any others that I may affect.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #25
Gunny Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
One of my neighbors friends was visiting and he said hey you need to come check out his f150 ecoboost and new trailer since you are into this kind of thing. So I do This is the hitch setup. How does anyone think this is a good idea??? Sparks. Lol.
When we towed are 33" prowler TT back in 93 with a 73 ford country sedan with a 400 engine we didn't look that bad We just did it for move out requirements. Back then it was if they sold that class hitch for the TV and had a large engine it can tow.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motorsport View Post
So I read this post about a fellow RV’r that was traveling down the highway with a potential catastrophic failure, that in worse case scenario could take the life of the owner and additional innocents, and the forum replies with smug comments that you can’t fix stupid? I submit that missing the exit and making an attempt to alert the driver of the hazard is where my mind went. Where’s the fellowship with you’all?
I do understand where your coming from but the driver in question probably needs someone to follow him around and advise him in all aspects of his life..I don’t think this was an isolated case of bad decisions
Old 02-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #27
RVPP

another day on the freeway

On the back of 'Waldo', our Bullet, I have a sign that says, in big letters, "if you can't see my mirrors I can't see you".
For the record, I have a '13 F-150 with tow mirrors.
Safe travels.
Paul & Cindy.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #28
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you read the issues Ken posted it was obviously an individual that did not CARE what kind of situation they were in nor did they obviously care about any possible consequences. I've met them before.

I've passed a similar combo; truck not equipped for towing and in terrible shape pulling an old TT down the highway about the speed Ken mentioned. Awning fabric was flopping all over the place and the awning frame just kept pulling off the trailer going out 3-4' then back, shaking, rattling and rolling (I guess). On the other side the hatch door was open and a length of rope out flopping in the breeze, hitting the roadway almost to the tires. I flagged them and literally made them stop because I was concerned the awning would catch somebody or some thing. Pointed out the problems; they're response? The driver, in a somewhat surly manner, said "that's the way it is. It does that. You're the THIRD driver that's told us that" (like it's my fault). I bid him a good day and took off.

As I initially mentioned folks that travel like that don't care and, like Ken, I'm not going to miss and exit, put myself and mine in jeopardy nor get a citation trying to point out what they already know (or should). Not being unfriendly, uncaring or someone that doesn't want to help another - simply expecting a TINY bit of common sense on the other end.
You Are Not Alone.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #29
Dallasrules

I was waiting at a truck stop to meet someone when a truck pulled in with a 5th wheel. It was clearly overloaded. I looked at it on the way out. By the slides I would say it was a mid bunkhouse model reflection at 37' to 38'. Probably 15k on the light side. Truck was a dodge 2500. It was squatting pretty badly. I was looking at those models and thinking they would be pushing the numbers on My one ton sa dodge diesel.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:56 AM   #30
nitrohorse

It's interesting to read these forums. There are "elitists" in every pickup truck weight category. Last summer I camped at a Mom and Pop campground in Lancaster, Pa. During a dog bathroom walk, I spoke to a gentleman with a new F250 and a 5er. He told me he was going to have air bags installed to level the ride while towing. I asked him why he needed those and his response was so he could haul more weight. I guess the bigger the truck, the more ridiculous the beliefs.
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #31
buzzcop63

Driving a 1/2 rated truck, which truck and trailer have been on the scales, spring bars set up by measuring the truck wheel wells, everything fits within specifications but we have no room to grow and taking additional people or cargo is out of the question. We knew this when we made our purchase, trailer first then truck. We have watched RV dealers attaching 5th wheel trailers up to 1/2 trucks and see them on the road all the time. When talking to the drivers of these trucks when camping they generally do not even know how much weight they can put in the back of their truck, some do not even know how big their engine is or any other pertinent information. Dealer say's its half ton towable so off they go. No buddy seems to study or read up on what they need to safely RV. Our truck works for us but it would not be a wise choice for heading off across the country, 3/4 or 1 ton would be much more comfortable climbing tall mountains and staying steady in heavy winds and packing piles of gear.