Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Sarge2

Went out to trailer last weekend..

I've got my TT stored in my drive and had not been out there since late October when I brought it back from General Trailer to fix a water leak under the bathroom vanity and while there I figured since it was under warranty I'd have them do the first winterizing...
Well went out last weekend to just check on things and found a trail of RV antifreeze coming out from under the vanity in the bathroom... apparently their "fix" of "tightening the fittings" didn't work...same location from the same area that it was leaking from when I took it in back in October...
As these are plastic pex fittings I know that you can't or shouldn't use anything but hand tightening on those...
Since they have to check it again, what would be the best way to check their work prior to taking it out again in May for our first trip? And...another of my big concern is that I'd assume they will have to De-winterize it to fix the leak... one of my concerns is if they put water to it to check and fix it, how do I make sure it doesn't freeze in late March or April? ..Thanks in advance Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like they forgot to fix the leak and just winterized it (I bet you paid for the winterization). I suppose the only way to "know" it is fixed is to tell them to fix it (they will have to dewinterize), call you and then you have them pressure it up and inspect it. Once done I would have them winterize it again on their dime - it's not your fault it's leaking antifreeze in your camper.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Sarge2

Thanks for the response... yeah just irks me to think I did pay them to winterize it and they didn't bother fixing the leak...
The problem is the leak seams to happen after it sits for a time... doesn't seem to leak immediately when it's pressurized...
Anyway, I'll scrutinize as best I can their "fix" this time... I've learned my lesson not to assume they actually did anything...
Old 03-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Unless they are the most exceptional, of the exceptional, you have to literally go through anything you asked them to do. Just visited with my dealership the other day and met the guy responsible for assuring my new HC was "ship shape".....he was their best tech. Hmmm, experience? He was the parts guy that decided he wanted to go to the tech side to make more money....for the last year. LOTS of things to go wrong....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Unless they are the most exceptional, of the exceptional, you have to literally go through anything you asked them to do. Just visited with my dealership the other day and met the guy responsible for assuring my new HC was "ship shape".....he was their best tech. Hmmm, experience? He was the parts guy that decided he wanted to go to the tech side to make more money....for the last year. LOTS of things to go wrong....

Best tech after a year? That’s a scary thought. There is so much to learn, so much that can go wrong. I’ve seen a “bunch of stuff” in my nearly 9 years but surely haven’t “seen it all”.

OP: I bet the leak is a simple cone washer that failed. Some people crank down on the fitting thinking it fixes the problem when in fact it makes the washer even worse. I will also bet the tech didn’t bother to test his fix. I see it all the time, tech does the repair but doesn’t take the 2-3 minutes it takes to “test” the repair. If you document it correctly the factory pays for it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:00 AM   #6
Mastrblastr

Had a similar issue while we were camping last year. Wife went to go to bed and said “why is there water on the floor?” Pulled off the cover over the pump housing area and sure enough, water everywhere. Got her to turn on the tap and as soon as she did, I saw water leaking out of the outlet side of the pump where the water line connects. I reached in there and literally turned it with two fingers it was so loose. I took it apart to see if there was anything wrong with the cone gasket and it was fine, but I now carry a few extra gaskets just in case. I recently relocated my pump to make it more accessible so will have to make sure I check everything once I dewinterize.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Sarge2

I appreciate the replys... sorry it took so long to respond back... I'm a Sgt. with a smaller agency in Michigan and we've been busy with this Corvid19 thing...
General RV just canceled my scheduled appointment to bring it back in...so at this point it's status quo...I've attached a couple of photos of what I found.. my first instinct is to simply take that fitting off and check that gasket... but I hate to fool with it since it's still under warranty and they already worked on it once..
My question is that I am puzzled that it seems to leak more if it sits and isn't really pressurized..
I usually don't keep the pump on unless we are using it so the pump doesn't have a chance of coming on if the pressure drops...
Thanks again for the responses...
Sarge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vanity sink leak.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	25816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer plumbing under vanity sink.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	25817  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I appreciate the replys... sorry it took so long to respond back... I'm a Sgt. with a smaller agency in Michigan and we've been busy with this Corvid19 thing...
General RV just canceled my scheduled appointment to bring it back in...so at this point it's status quo...I've attached a couple of photos of what I found.. my first instinct is to simply take that fitting off and check that gasket... but I hate to fool with it since it's still under warranty and they already worked on it once..
My question is that I am puzzled that it seems to leak more if it sits and isn't really pressurized..
I usually don't keep the pump on unless we are using it so the pump doesn't have a chance of coming on if the pressure drops...
Thanks again for the responses...
Sarge
Friend had similar issue. We bought a new compression end. When the factory installed the line to the bathroom faucet it wasn't straight. So that kind crushed the rubber seal in the compression fitting. We made sure the line was good and aligned when starting the threads
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote