Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Wxman

TV/TT Plugs

I had some issues my last trip, ending today, and have decided to replace both the truck plug and the trailer plug to hopefully ensure good connections (brakes).
The truck is a 2017 Silverado and I would like to continue using the OEM placement for the plug.
I had to work on the trailer plug this trip and replaced with whatever the nearby PeP boys had. Got me home, but I know the truck receptacle is 'burnt' a little too.

Is there a brand or type of plug that those that deal with this more often would recommend over others? (I have seen trailer end plugs of different styles.)

Looking for both ends to be the best within reason since I have decided to replace.
Thanks
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Cold Spot

You're absolutely sure its the plugs and not the brake controller itself? Are you running the chevy factory controller or an aftermarket unit? If its aftermarket are all your connections still secure or are they corroded?

If its just plugs I typically go with Reese or Hopkins, there is not really a fancier solution that I can think of.
Cold Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

My take on things like that is to use OEM equipment. Case in point; recently took my trailer in for some work and while there they dropped the tongue jack down on the plug for the truck disfiguring it - which I discovered trying to hook up to leave. I was very agitated and they ran over to the parts dept. and brought me back a new "plug" to put on the end of the power cable to the RV. I took the service guy over to the existing plug on the RV and showed him that the OEM cable/plug is completely made together and sealed eliminating any chance of moisture getting inside - the new "add on" plug would just clamp on and leave it susceptible to failure; they installed a new OEM cable/plug that looks like it should. I would do the same in your case on both ends. I do however wonder about what would have happened to ruin the plug on the truck on a 2017 model?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have to agree with Sourdough here. Get a new umbilical cord assembly and replace it. Same thing on the truck end. Being a 2017, I'm sure there is a short "pigtail" harness that plugs in under the bed along the frame. Some good dielectric grease on the truck pigtail end would be a good thing I think.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
Wxman

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the original trailer plug was molded to the cord. Still got water in it while camping once and held enough that 'some electrolysis' took place and even had some copper sulfate form all around the connections. My 'campground cleaning' appeared to get everything working and I had no trouble for several months.
However, when I did start having issues I related it back to the first problem and the 'campground cleaning'. Probably loosened the connection some and their was evidence of arcing/burning on the connection for the electric brakes on the trailer plug and the truck plug.
I replaced the truck plug with a Hopkins brand (on the box) which is stamped Pollak on the plug itself who supposedly makes the plugs for GM. They looked identical. Since the truck plug was Pollak I put a new Pollak plug on the trailer as well. All seemed good on the most recent trip.
Yes, I think for now anyway it is all in the connection. I am using the factory controller with no problem for 1.5yrs and about 5000 miles, until now.
I looked at some of the complete trailer cords with the molded on plug, but kind of wanted to prove to myself it was the connection and that a plug swap would fix it before spending the bigger money.

Thanks again
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote