Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Laredo Tugger

RV Parks Reviews-Not Good

On a recent trip I dealt with a couple of RV parks that others might want to avoid.
I will try to not make this "my" story and will be as factual and non opinionated as I can. This wont be easy,but here goes.
First park is:
Evergreen RV Park
2135 N Oxnard Blvd
Oxnard, CA 93036
I made a reservation for a 3 night stay in July. The reservation was made in March 2019. I had a confirmation number and an assigned site emailed to me. Upon arrival I checked with the park office. The woman said the park was full and there were no available sites. What? I explained that I had a confirmation and site assignment. She explained "park was full" "Sorry".
On a weekend in So Cal the only place I found for one night was on the cliffs (beach) in Malibu. $229 for one night.
I only owe this park only one thing, one finger.
Do not bother with this place. A reservation means nothing.
Second park:
Canyon Gateway Grand Canyon RV Park & Glamping
1060 N Grand Canyon Blvd
Williams, AZ 86046
After check in with the office and paying in full for a 3 night stay I was led to my site by the guy in the golf cart. Site was a long pull-thru. I was guided and stopped where directed. At first look, my sewer hoses (20 ft.) were not going to reach the dump connection. I was told my options were to either purchase another section of sewer hose from the office for $25 (which later I observed they had numerous boxes ) or go back to the office and pay $20 per night X3=$60 more dollars so I could back up 3 feet into the site behind me and make the sewer connection.
I explained that I paid for a "full hook up" site and additional cost were not going to happen. After picking up the equipment I had pulled out and re-hitching the trailer I was told that there was a 40 foot site on the end. I moved the trailer and did the first thing I always do, checked the electrical connection for faults. My Hughes Autoformer analyzer showed "NO GROUND CONNECTION" on the display. Well that was easy,put my gear away, DW made a phone call to another nearby park while I proceeded to the office.
No refunds was their policy. I made a fair effort to stay in their park but they would not be fair in refunding my money. I did mention while putting stuff away that I would call the police if needed. I entered the office and explained that I was sure the police had other things to do. I asked again politely,(not like me in these situations) one more time for a refund. No was the answer. I then explained that DW was on the phone with the credit card company and that they were not going to receive anything from me but bad reviews.
This park is next to a truck stop and shade was not to be found. We ended up at another park in the area that was perfect.
Use this information as you wish. Maybe this typical behavior for most RV parks but in several years of part time traveling and two different RVs I never saw anything like this.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Eastham

Did you have a deposit paid for the first campground? If so Did you receive a refund? Sound like there might be more to this story than we are hearing.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Laredo,

I feel your aggravation. I always call any reservation for anything ahead of time before I leave to not only confirm I'm still there but to refresh their memory. I also call the day of travel to reconfirm yet again. I don't like surprises.

The first experience I ever had with the sewer hose as you had I bought an extension and it lives in the "box". Don't use it much because I don't like that much hose out but it's there in case I encounter folks like you did. That's a shame.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

No deposit. Just a swift kick in the a__. No more to the story than printed.
Not sure what happened on their end, but I know which end I got.
And yes, trust no one. Make forward calls is the lesson here.
RMc
Old 08-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Customer1

It may make you feel better but I doubt posting on here will do much good. You can post reviews on the sites below to help others considering staying at those locations;

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

https://www.campendium.com/

I don't know about others but I look up reviews on parks before going to them.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
No deposit. Just a swift kick in the a__. No more to the story than printed.
Not sure what happened on their end, but I know which end I got.
And yes, trust no one. Make forward calls is the lesson here.
RMc
Just a note about deposits. We put down a deposit of $100 on a particular site at a campground in southern Utah. When we arrived we were told someone had paid for the entire month so they got the site. No amount of crying, bitching or whimpering changed the mind of management.
Bottom line if you want a particular site pay the full amount then you own it (rented of course) for that period. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
travelin texans

When reading about any prospective RV parks I'd say 95% state in their rules posted on their websites that there are NO refunds.
Also as suggested above always check the posted reviews on a couple campground review websites prior to reserving.
My procedure for picking after reading reviews is throw out the best/worst one & the dumbest one. My meaning, I figure the best one was posted by the park owner, the worst one by one of those folks that can't be pleased if it was gold plated & the dumbest one I've read was "I gave this park 1 star cause they didn't offer free dog poop bags", yes that was actually posted on the RV park campground review site.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
bobbecky

Evergreen RV Park
2135 N Oxnard Blvd
Oxnard, CA 93036

Second park:
Canyon Gateway Grand Canyon RV Park & Glamping
1060 N Grand Canyon Blvd
Williams, AZ 86046
At first look, my sewer hoses (20 ft.) were not going to reach the dump connection. I was told my options were to either purchase another section of sewer hose from the office for $25 (which later I observed they had numerous boxes ) or go back to the office and pay $20 per night X3=$60 more dollars so I could back up 3 feet into the site behind me and make the sewer connection.

We stayed at Evergreen about four years ago for one night. Be glad you didn't stay there, as the park is very difficult to get a rig into a space, and it is a shame that their maintenance isn't a bit better, but you get what you pay for, but at least we were able to stay there to visit my brother who lives in Oxnard. Doubt we will ever stay there again.

On the park in Williams, you would have been much better off just buying an additional length of sewer hose. You will find that with more travel, you will at times need even more than 30 ft of hose, and $25 was a lot cheaper than what you ended up experiencing. We carry 50 feet of hose, and are using 40 feet of it where we are right now. We stay at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park when in that area, and it may not be the cheapest park, but it's well worth the little extra money for the quality of the park.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
ken56

No matter if they state a "no refunds" policy I think they have to deliver on their end and provide the agreed on reservation first. If they don't honor their contract then I would not just walk away either without my money back. This is exactly why you put things on a credit card. They broke the reservation agreement so I get to have my money back plain and simple. Most card companies will get it back for you if the product is not delivered as agreed to.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Just a note about deposits. We put down a deposit of $100 on a particular site at a campground in southern Utah. When we arrived we were told someone had paid for the entire month so they got the site. No amount of crying, bitching or whimpering changed the mind of management.
Bottom line if you want a particular site pay the full amount then you own it (rented of course) for that period. YMMV
Update: We did not lose our deposit only sent to another site in the park. Albeit next to the dumpster.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM   #11
Laredo Tugger

Customer1, thanks for the other review websites. More the merrier.
66joej,I believe this is what happened to me also. Someone came in and wanted to stay more days than I did so the park went for profit and not service. I would have been happy with the spot that was on my reservation email. I did not reserve a specific one.
travelin texans, Reviews for the park were mixed. We had stayed in the area before (where bobbecky mentioned in next post) and ended up moving over to that park. Way nicer and the prices were for both parks were about the same.
bobbecky, I guess that will have to be another question to ask upon making reservations, how many feet of sewer hose do I need for your park? I really do not have anywhere to store extra hose and have never needed one. The length of stay is the determining factor here. I can go 4-5 days with just DW and I if needed before I need to dump the black tanks. And yes as mentioned above, Railside RV Ranch is a much nicer facility.
ken56, I agree. They stated "full hook ups" and did not say (up front) that extra sewer hose or cash may be needed to access those connections. I am lucky I had a worthy analyzer for the electrical connection or I might be tied up in small claims court in another state to get my trailer repaired.
I ended up not paying the charges through the credit card mitigation procedures.
Thanks all,
RMc