Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Firsttimer

First Time Towing

Hello Everyone,

we are just about to buy our first trailer (Been tenting a long time) We are looking to purchase a Springdale 282BHWE. My tow vehicle is a 2010 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.6 Duramax and allison transmission. Everything looks good as far as the specs but just wondering if my tow vehicle will have any issues pulling this trailer. We live in a fairly hill / mountain area so just want to be safe before we sign all the papers and drive her away next weekend.
Firsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
KCSA75

You may want to invest in a Weight Distribution Hitch, but that Chevy should have no trouble pulling your Springdale at all.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
sconner

The truck will do great. I have a 32ft Passport 2920BH and tow it with a 2016!Silverado 2500 DMAX. I would recommend not only a Weight Distribution hitch, but more importantly, sway control. I’m a huge fan of my Reese Straight-line Dual Cam. I’ve never experienced sway in my four years of towing with it. Easy to hook up and unhook. Only drawback is it’s a pricier solution than some.

No matter who you choose, make sure it includes sway control.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Canonman

That Springdale is a nice family unit and roughly the same size and weight as our Cougar. Our 2007.5 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins pulls, handles and stops our rig just fine. As for operating on mountain roads, we live in the heart of the Rocky Mountains and have no problem with any mountain passes around here
Diesel power is only way to tow in the mountains!!
I agree with the previous post, invest in a good WDH with anti sway. Also, a TPMS for realtime tire monitoring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5643.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	16376  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The Springdale 282 is a 32' travel trailer with a GVW of 9213 pounds. That will produce a tongue weight (10-15%) of 920-1400 pounds. Any travel trailer that heavy and that long needs a quality weight distribution hitch with sway control. There are a number of different brands and even different "systems" to provide weight distribution and to control sway. Personal preference is a significant factor in what to choose, but with a Springdale 282, you'll definitely need a quality WD hitch with some form of sway control.

Without it, your new trailer tongue weight will probably be heavier than the truck receiver's rating for trailers (when not using a WD hitch).

The truck, engine and transmission is an excellent match for a trailer that size. You'll enjoy towing once you get the rig "dialed in" and the hitch properly adjusted.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
Firsttimer

I had them include the Blueox WDH with Sway control in with cost, so have that covered and it sounds like the truck should pull no problems.

Thanks everyone
Firsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
travelin texans

Hook up, press tow/haul button, enable the exhaust brake if equipped & go enjoy. The Dmax/Allison is a great combination for towing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing