Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #81
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's the way it reads in Texas, but then it has a list of 1/2 dozen exemptions, most dealing with farmers which another sore spot, but the last one says "for personal rv use", that's the one that is confusing me & apparently everyone else at the DMV.
The thing y'all is missing is it don't say door sticker.... it says GVWR... it don't say GVWR on the door sticker.. it says GVWR

The registered GVWR is what it goes by... Pull your last license plate receipt and look real close.... It'll surprise you, just like it did gearhead...

If your Title and registration says TRUCK it'll be subject to this, regardless of commercial or not...
Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #82
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I know in my state is not what it register for or what weights on the CAT scale to require the Non-Commercial license but what the GVWR on the stickers on the truck and RV. So if you have a DRW with 14,000 GVWR the GVWR of the RV would have to be less than 12,001 GVWR for a Class C anything over that would require a Class A or B. That makes enforcement simple since all the trooper would have to look at the stickers on the RV and Truck. I heard of one case in my state and the troop had the RV towed since he was not licensed to drive the vehicle. I know the guy and he was stopped for speeding and probably his month/attitude got him in trouble. I thought it was the same in Texas?
I've heard of only one instance in Texas where someone was ticketed for not having the right drivers license for the combined weight of a 5th and truck. That was on a fishing forum, and several years ago. It may happen every day, I just don't hear it.
However, a good friend was pulling a big 5th with a 2500 truck and a sharp eyed California trooper pulled him over and told if he wasn't from out of state he would have parked the rig and found an appropriate truck before it moved.
I see 3/4 tons and SRW 1 tons pulling big 5th wheels every time I get on I-10. Obvious they are way over with the rear squatted or running air bags to look better.
The one state trooper I sorta know ended his career in weights. In typical barber shop BS he never said a word about RV's, seemed totally focused on outlaw heavy trucks.
I have no idea why Texas DMV arbitrarily assigns a 1 ton with 2,000# carrying capacity. It's nice I guess, but I seriously doubt that is why they do it. Probably 90% of duallys around here are not commercial but are weekend farmers, RV folks, and soccer Moms. I strongly suspect they do the same thing I did. Buy the truck, when they get the renewal letter in the mail, go to the courthouse and pay the $77 dollars and go on down the road.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #83
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The thing y'all is missing is it don't say door sticker.... it says GVWR... it don't say GVWR on the door sticker.. it says GVWR

The registered GVWR is what it goes by... Pull your last license plate receipt and look real close.... It'll surprise you, just like it did gearhead...

If your Title and registration says TRUCK it'll be subject to this, regardless of commercial or not...
This horse ain't dead just yet....So assume I don't do anything, my truck is rated at 14,000 by Ram, it's registered in Texas at 9000 plus 2000 carry. I load the Bigfoot heavy and am running down the road at 13,000. A Kentucky trooper pulls me over for speeding. I'm under the Ram 14,000. How will he know what my Texas license plate receipt says??
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #84
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
This horse ain't dead just yet....So assume I don't do anything, my truck is rated at 14,000 by Ram, it's registered in Texas at 9000 plus 2000 carry. I load the Bigfoot heavy and am running down the road at 13,000. A Kentucky trooper pulls me over for speeding. I'm under the Ram 14,000. How will he know what my Texas license plate receipt says??
I carry my registration with me, I ain't got a clue what a Leo in another state might know.. read the fine print on the bottom left of the receipt [emoji41]

I expect that it wasn't the state / county that registered our trucks for 9600... I'd bet it was the dealer taking the cheap way out... If I remember I'll pull my paperwork out but I'd bet he charged me $110 for my plates in the TTL..

Javi
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #85
CWSWine

Quote:
Registered GVWR

They know what it's registered for the minute they call that plate in.. There's a code...
That not the way I read it, it's the GVWR of the truck and RV. I know in Kansas uses GVWR matter a fact it says on the back of our DL "Class DL-C Any Single Vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001"

Here is a link to the Texas DVM https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

The DMV in Kansas doesn't have a clue what is needed...
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #86
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
That not the way I read it, it's the GVWR of the truck and RV. I know in Kansas uses GVWR matter a fact it says on the back of our DL "Class DL-C Any Single Vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001"

Here is a link to the Texas DVM https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

The DMV in Kansas doesn't have a clue what is needed...
I honestly don't know that it can be explained so that you understand it... The registration for my truck clearly states that the GVWR of this vehicle is 9600 pounds... 7600 + 2000 = 9600 it is WRITTEN on the DOCUMENT the registration of the vehicle is what allows me to drive it on the roads of Texas... why is that difficult to comprehend..

The GVWR that drives the driver's license class requirement is the legal GVWR from the registration... Not the Federal sticker on the door... the truck can the registered for a weight up to that amount and down to a weight based of a chart in the document I've previously posted the link for... which for my truck would be 9600 pounds..
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #87
Ken / Claudia

Quick point that I believe was not answered. Finding of fault, it should add up to 100% in the end. But, if you want to believe me or not that is Okay. Insurance cases settled in or out of court often assign blame in strange numbers between parties 50/50, 75/25 etc. That is not new. Why? you would need to know every fact of the case and then hear the reason for that case. It may not even make sense but, they do it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #88
CWSWine

Quote:
I honestly don't know that it can be explained so that you understand it... The registration for my truck clearly states that the GVWR of this vehicle is 9600 pounds... 7600 + 2000 = 9600 it is WRITTEN on the DOCUMENT the registration of the vehicle is what allows me to drive it on the roads of Texas... why is that difficult to comprehend..

The GVWR that drives the driver's license class requirement is the legal GVWR from the registration... Not the Federal sticker on the door... the truck can the registered for a weight up to that amount and down to a weight based of a chart in the document I've previously posted the link for... which for my truck would be 9600 pounds..
f

No wonder why people are having a hard time understanding the rules in Texas because I read this:

1. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more
2. A combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds

I would think they were talking about the "Vehicle GVWR" and not the "Register GVW". Where do they get the GCWR? Do you guys also register you RV GVWR?

Kansas it's the GVWR that on the door sticker and on the outside of the RV. Different states different ways of doing it. In Kansas, you can register to different GVW but that doesn't affect the GVWR since the "R" means rating that is assigned to that turck by the manufacture and doesn't change.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #89
aaron_huber

Texas does seem very complicated so I'm glad I don't live there. I was curious so I did a little digging about the details, which are spelled out clearly in the registration manual I found at https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/do...tration-manual.

To summarize:
  • They clearly define the terms: "GVWR" = the vehicle manufacturer's certified maximum weight rating as specified on the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, and "registration weight" = the weight you've registered the vehicle for. Changing your "registration weight" does not change the "GVWR".
  • The vehicle must be registered for a weight no less than the actual vehicle weight plus a pre-determined minimum "carrying capacity" listed in a table, which explains where the 2000 lbs comes from.
  • The registration weight can be no more than the GVWR. Registering with the registration weight higher than the GVWR won't help you if you're pulled over as you'd be over the "maximum legal load limit".
  • The section labelled "Incorrect Gross Weight (Apprehension)" calls out exactly what happens if you're pulled over - if you're over registration weight but under GVWR, they make you pay to increase your registration weight to match your actual weight. If you are over your GVWR they can park your vehicle until you decrease the weight of it.

TLDR - You can save some money in Texas by choosing a registration weight less than GVWR as long as you never get pulled over weighing more than that weight.

Again, glad I don't need to deal with this in Oregon.
aaron_huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #90
aaron_huber

And apologies to Javi, I just noticed he'd already put a link to that PDF earlier in the thread.
aaron_huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #91
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_huber View Post
Texas does seem very complicated so I'm glad I don't live there. I was curious so I did a little digging about the details, which are spelled out clearly in the registration manual I found at https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/do...tration-manual.

To summarize:
  • They clearly define the terms: "GVWR" = the vehicle manufacturer's certified maximum weight rating as specified on the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, and "registration weight" = the weight you've registered the vehicle for. Changing your "registration weight" does not change the "GVWR".
  • The vehicle must be registered for a weight no less than the actual vehicle weight plus a pre-determined minimum "carrying capacity" listed in a table, which explains where the 2000 lbs comes from.
  • The registration weight can be no more than the GVWR. Registering with the registration weight higher than the GVWR won't help you if you're pulled over as you'd be over the "maximum legal load limit".
  • The section labelled "Incorrect Gross Weight (Apprehension)" calls out exactly what happens if you're pulled over - if you're over registration weight but under GVWR, they make you pay to increase your registration weight to match your actual weight. If you are over your GVWR they can park your vehicle until you decrease the weight of it.

Quote:

TLDR - You can save some money in Texas by choosing a registration weight less than GVWR as long as you never get pulled over weighing more than that weight.

Again, glad I don't need to deal with this in Oregon.
So the question still remains is the requirements for Class A or B driver DL use the GVWR like the website says or uses the "Register Weight" which Texas call GVW (without the "R" since it means rating). I know Kansas and most states don't care about what it really weights but what is capable of weighting IE GVWR of both the truck and RV..

You lucky that your state doesn't require this because Kansas DVM can't get it straight.

Added on Edit -- Let me say it this way. Your Register Weight CAN be less than your GVWR or the truck but that doesn't change the GVWR or the truck. The Class A and B requirements use the term of GVWR, not Register Weight. Register your truck for less than GVWR of the truck is NOT means to not get a Class A or B DL.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #92
Ken / Claudia

Post #89, Aaron Oregon is a lot like Texas. Some on here won't believe a motor vehicle, PUC and motor carrier truck cop, but trust the 2 states they are very much alike. BUT, ALMOST (that means not all) all of that information is directed at MOTOR TRUCKS not pickups. A motor truck is a vehicle 10,000lbs or larger to 26,000 lbs designed to carry a product not passengers. As I said in earlier posts, in Oregon the owner of a 10,000lb plus motor truck and a limited number of pickups must pay for what weight they tell DMV their GVWRs are yearly. DMV takes their word. A 16,000 lb truck is around 400 per year. In this state you are being suckered out of road taxes because many under report on themselves, many buy a passenger plate. Look at all cargo trucks, flatbed, utility bed trucks next time your driving on any road. If they have dual rear tires, are a business vehicle and have the Oregon passenger license plate they are not paying their way. They must have a yellow license plate that starts with T and has numbers after. Those are truck plates. A T plate at 10,000lbs is over 2x that of your pickup for registration fees. Even state troopers do not enforce that law much, there are just too many of them out there and it is a DMV problem. Ever wonder why our roads are so bad?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #93
gearhead

$400 a year??
Glad I don't live in Oregon.
ahem
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #94
madmaxmutt

Man that's cheap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #95
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Then I won't even tell you that I got 2 years in MO for around $170. Yep, not going to say a word....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #96
Don_T

When I joined Escapees several years ago I went to the DPS office in Livingston TX to change my address on my license and registrations. The DPS officer there noticed my address is an Escapees address so he asked me two questions regarding my license. He wanted to know what the GVWR on the truck door says and the GVWR on the trailer says. They totaled 25,400 pounds so he said I was ok with the Class C license I have. He made no mention of actual weights or registered weights.

Tags
tow, towing