Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #41
Sulphur1

re BAL Accu-Slide (cable slide) Modification

Thanks for the reply Slow. I had a another look and yes, it looks the same as yours so not be able to re-position. This is not good as the square shaped outside wall to slideout flange seal is getting squeezed out a little when in another problem!
I wonder what holds the pulleys in place and away from the outside of the slide frame. It cannot be very thick as the cable wear is almost to the thickness of the frame.
It's almost as if the slideout is about 1/4-3/8" too small as someone else has commented. Going down to have another look tomorrow.
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #42
Sulphur1

On second thoughts re slideout width it appears that the Accu-slide frame is not wide enough to have an off-set hole that suits the external pulley.
At least after adjustment none of the cables are rubbing the holes, but the top ones are still too close.
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #43
FlyingAroundRV

Hi all:
RV newbie here and I was looking at this solution and wondering.
From the pics, it looks like these rubber pads form a sort of seal for the cable entry. But judging by the clearance hole in the pads, they wouldn't be actually water tight when the slide is in the out position. When the slide is retracted for towing, I can see that the pads would seal around the cable, being squashed.

My question is: If instead of soft rubber pads on the slideout frame, hard(ish) neoprene pads were glued to the cable bracket, would this make a satisfactory solution? The neoprene pad would create a seal when the slide is retracted and perform the same role as the hard stops Slow had added.
Granted, having the pads on the cable bracket means the cable entry holes wouldn't be sealed when the slide is out, but it appears that they wouldn't be totally sealed by the soft pads either.
I may be totally off base here as I've never owned a TT and only have Slow's pics to go by.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #44
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
...............My question is: If instead of soft rubber pads on the slideout frame, hard(ish) neoprene pads were glued to the cable bracket, would this make a satisfactory solution? The neoprene pad would create a seal when the slide is retracted and perform the same role as the hard stops Slow had added.
Granted, having the pads on the cable bracket means the cable entry holes wouldn't be sealed when the slide is out, but it appears that they wouldn't be totally sealed by the soft pads either.
I may be totally off base here as I've never owned a TT and only have Slow's pics to go by.
A few things to consider based on my observations with our slide:
* the cables change position in the frame hole as the slide moves, so if the pad is rigid material, a larger hole would be required in the rigid pad
* the cables' "T" end connected to the slide needs to clear the frame and rigid pad holes when the slide is retracted, otherwise the slide will not retract completely, therefore a tapered entry hole in a more rigid pad would be needed
* I believe the pad material is already a neoprene with a high durometer (stiffness)
* attaching a pad to the slide frame without the use of fasteners would be a challenge. The pads as supplied with an adhesive back are the best I have come across so far.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #45
FlyingAroundRV

Hi Slow:
It seems like you might have missed my main point.
Instead of attaching the pad to the slideout frame at the wall, attach it to the bracket on the slideout itself. It would still be attached with the adhesive tape as per original.
In this way, the pad travels with the slideout and the cable no longer "saws through" the pad as the slideout is moving in and out.
This would still allow the cable to move freely around the hole in the slideout frame while the slideout is extending/retracting. What I'm not sure of is how this would affect the weather resistance of the setup as when the slideout is extended, the frame holes would be uncovered.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #46
slow

BAL Accu-Slide (cable slide) Modification

I missed the pad being added to the bracket.

On mine, any water entering the slide frame cable holes drain out the bottom of the wall slide frame to the outside of the TT. As long as it drains, it should be OK IMO.

Like you say, The pad would need to be hard enough not to squeeze out like the factory version does without the stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #47
Tbos

I think a small rubber seal of some sort would still be needed at the slide frame hole. Mine are pretty good size and I wouldn't want any extra rain getting in there.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #48
slow

For a short period of time when I was waiting for new pads, I covered the holes with gorilla tape. Took a beating like the pads but worked for when I thought I needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 09-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #49
John Janis

cable wearing into slide-out

Has anyone have the problem where the cables are cutting through those rubber pads and wearing into the aluminum of the slide-out?
John Janis is offline   Reply With Quote