Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
danwyng

Bowing Slide roof

I have a 2012 Alpine 3200RL and the long slide (by the couch) has noticeably sagged at the top. The rubber sweep at the top no longer fully extends, so that when it rains (and especially when the trailer is slightly tilted in) it pours in. I now have to make sure our trailer is tilted down at that side and check to make sure the rubber sweep is fully out.

Has any one come across this and/or is there a way to strighten out the roof of the slide - short of building a support wall in the middle?

Thanks

Dan
danwyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

As a temporary "fix" what about....
1) applying a thick layer or bead of Dicor self-leveling sealant across the middle section of the slide where it dips? The sealant would have to be applied as close as you can get it to the inner edge of the slide. The layer would act as "dike" or barrier to prevent water from running back into your RV.

2) trying to add to rubber sweep?

Just tossing out a couple of quick ideas.......
Old 07-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Steve S

Do you know if it's wood framed? If it is the short answer would be to repair it.
How much of a gap are you talking about?
I'm thinking the easiest repair would be what Festus said or try to get a bigger sweep which wouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
trueweb

If possible, don't do option 1. While this is an option in an emergency situation it could lead to pain down the road. Someone added extra lap sealant to the roof my slide at some point during it's life. When they did it the sweep seal picked up the sealant and smeared it across the roof. It made the roof hard to clean and the sweep would never seal because it was covered in globs of sealant. After days and hours of work the sweep and roof are mostly clean now.

Can you see or measure the sag from inside too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
As a temporary "fix" what about....
1) applying a thick layer or bead of Dicor self-leveling sealant across the middle section of the slide where it dips? The sealant would have to be applied as close as you can get it to the inner edge of the slide. The layer would act as "dike" or barrier to prevent water from running back into your RV.

2) trying to add to rubber sweep?

Just tossing out a couple of quick ideas.......
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
jsmith948

Interesting thread. The slides on our 5er are not very long so the roof sag isn't a problem. However, isn't it the bulb seals around the edges of the slide opening that keeps the water out? It is my understanding that the rubber sweeps are there mainly to sweep light debris and water off of the slide as it is retracted.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
trueweb

After my slide/water struggles I have become intimately familiar with the slide seals. There are two stages of water "proofing". Slide open & Slide closed. I think the sweep is pretty important as a first defense against water intrusion when the slide is open.

When the slide is closed the outer bulb seal is it. The sweep is in a position that will be less effective for blocking water. So keep an eye on those external bulb seals. They take abuse when the slide is open as they are exposed to the sun and elements.

When the slide is open there is a bulb seal that is attached to the back of the slide facia or to the interior wall where the slide rests. This bulb seals mostly helps with keeping out bugs and wind. If water gets on this seal it has the potential to find it's way to your RV floor (not the slide floor) if everything at the bottom of the seal is not exactly right.

Next up is the trim that holds the siding and roof down. It's usually an aluminum piece with a lip to block water that is screwed into the slide on 3 sides (top left right). This is your last real defense against water. If the caulk has lifted or aged water can get under that trim and into the walls or roof of the slide. To check it close the slide half way, get in a step ladder inside the RV and examine the roof. You may need a mirror to examine the sides depending on how tight it is to the walls. If the sides are a problem and they are hard to reach the easiest way to access them is open the slide all the way after removing the sweeps from the sides. They will be easily accessible for re-caulking from the outside.

The sweep is your first line of defense, albeit far from impenetrable. You will notice there are gaps where they overlap in the corners if you examine them at all. The sweeps can keep out an amazing amount of water. Their weakness is any sort of foreign object. A single pine needle under the sweep makes a perfect pathway for water. This still shouldn't be a major problem if you're leveled correctly, but if not, water can come flooding in at those weak spots.

If your roof is sagging the inner trim piece should still do it's job, however water going under the sweep is then sitting on the roof "inside" your RV making a place for insects to "swim" or adding to humidity as it evaporates. If the sag is large enough water could accumulate to a depth that is can get over that trim piece and then you'll have water coming down behind the fascia boards on the inside.

When you begin to close the slide, the sweep flips and, IMHO, retracts into a position that actually makes it easier for dirt and debris to enter the RV or get trapped under the sweep. it's best to sweep off your slide roof with a broom before you close it if you've been camping under trees or to put a slide cover on.

Hopefully all that typing helps someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Interesting thread. The slides on our 5er are not very long so the roof sag isn't a problem. However, isn't it the bulb seals around the edges of the slide opening that keeps the water out? It is my understanding that the rubber sweeps are there mainly to sweep light debris and water off of the slide as it is retracted.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
rjymatt

I had the same problem and the dealer put rubber roof tape on the inside of the trim on top of the slide if look it only takes 1\4" of puddled water to come in, now it will take two inches. They said they are making the new campers this way from the start.I have not had another leak and we had 6" of rain in two hours a few weeks ago great test..2012 3450RL Alpine
rjymatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine 3200rl, bowed slide roof, sagging slide roof