Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Topglock

2015 Bullet 272bhs poor roof caulking

So we just bought our first brand new trailer. I decided to get up on the ladder and have look at the roof. What I seen was a very poor "unprofessional" factory caulking job. I've only had the trailer a week and now I have to do roof maintenance. Anyone had a similar problem?

Im calling the dealer tomorrow to let them know since they already have to replace the tv cause it has a dead spot in the screen.
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

Roof seams/seals are something that the dealer should have found during a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Not all dealers do everything they should to insure the unit is really "ready to camp". Since your taking it back, I would take pictures. Then ask the service writer to have a look.
If he/she says it's "good to go", you might escalate the concern to the service mgr. The dealership should do the right thing and fix any "voids", the key is voids need to be sealed, crooked/sloppy lines may be ugly but if the seam is sealed you may not have a case.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
GaryWT

What is the situation, is it missing or just messy. There are areas that they just glob it on.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Topglock

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not concerned with messy. The main seam along the back has some cracks in the caulk where it was applied to thin in spots and separated. The same with the rear bath vent. I can almost see where the metal vent housing meets the roof in one spot. You can fit you finger nail in the crack. I was charged a pretty hefty prep fee so I am a little disappointed.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're taking it back for some other work, point out the issues with the sealant and the dealer should take care of it for you. Keystone only "warrants" the roof sealant for a very short time and then claims it's the owner's responsibility to inspect and repair. After a couple of months, the dealer probably won't help you, so make sure you're prompt in getting it back for service.

On both of my Keystone trailers, the roof sealant was "gobbed on" so thick it that I'd call it "too much sealant" but as stated earlier, a messy job that covers all the seams is pretty much what to expect.

If you do decide to do it yourself, DON'T USE SILICONE !!!!! Get the proper sealant, DICOR self leveling sealant or a comparable product.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Topglock

The tv issue I assume I will install myself when the new one comes in. The dealer is an hour away so I don't know how cost effective it would be to take it back vs buying a $13 tube of dicor and doing it myself. Either way I'll be calling them in the morning and making them aware.
I'll post back after I talk to them and see what they recommend
Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Topglock

I called the rv dealer just now and talked to the warranty dept. they can't get it in till next week! So I said I'll buy the dicor and do it myself then. They were like ok thanks for calling... The next closest dealer is almost 2hrs away. I guess I'm climbing on the roof today.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topglock View Post
I called the rv dealer just now and talked to the warranty dept. they can't get it in till next week! So I said I'll buy the dicor and do it myself then. They were like ok thanks for calling... The next closest dealer is almost 2hrs away. I guess I'm climbing on the roof today.
At least you will have the satisfaction that the job was done right when your finished......

I had the same sort of issue on another make TT - rain leaked in during a hunting trip due to bad sealing. I called the manuf and they sent me two tubes of the good sealant and a door mat as an extra . Never leaked again!!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
BadDogWillie

Mine is not leaking but it looks like a three year old put it on.

Bad Dog Willie just saying....
Moving down the road!
BadDogWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
Topglock

I got it all caulked up today. I ended up using 4" eternabond around both roof vents and finished it off with dicor. The rest of the roof looks great. It was just the two vents that seemed rushed when it was caulked at the factory. Now I can camp with piece of mind. We're taking it out for the first time this weekend...