Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
sleeplightly

We have a 320 bhs (2012) and love it. The idea of two bedroom design really sold it for us We have 3 girls and really enjoy the room. No major issues so far. I would like to change out the radio to a little better quality and the speakers also but my DW says its fine. So she wins, for now. I work out of town so we haven't used it much thus far, planning on a little more time this year.
sleeplightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #22
gtsum2

Thank you for all the replies. Very helpful! One more question for the experts (sorry for all my newb questions)....most if the bh models we r looking at seem to be around 34ft for trailer and 37ft for fifth wheel (I am back to looking at fifths also)......I am guessing my total length would be shorter with the fifth???

My concern is towing stability (if trailer I would have a propride hitch) and being able to get into stTe and national parks here on the east coast. Tow vehicle will be 2014 ram 3500 ctd srw, so truck payload will not be an issue....I am having a hard time deciding if the extra cost of comparable fifths floodplan would be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-12-2014, 04:40 AM   #23
Quad

My 5th is just shy of 37ft. It pulls like a 30-31ft camper with the ability to have tighter turns. A 5er will turn slower when backing up, but much tighter than a TT. I live on the east coast and haven't had any problems backing into spots. Sometimes they are tight. But always doable.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #24
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post
My 5th is just shy of 37ft. It pulls like a 30-31ft camper with the ability to have tighter turns. A 5er will turn slower when backing up, but much tighter than a TT. I live on the east coast and haven't had any problems backing into spots. Sometimes they are tight. But always doable.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Thanks for the info. I have towed trailers, boats, etc all my life and normally can get into any parking situation the first time...but I have never towed a 5th or a gooseneck though. I imagine when backing it up, the 5er will react more slowly to begin with. I was kind of thinking that a 37ft 5er would be about the same length as a 34ft trailer (hitch and over the bed etc) with the truck.

I am trying to determine if the extra 7-10k for the 5er (comparable BH plans as the TT) is worth it for us. For example, the Sprinter 316BIK TT or the Sprinter 324FWBHS 5er...basically same floor plan. We will likely do 1-2 trips per month within 250 miles of home, and then a beach trip, and likely a bigger (1000-2000 mile trip each summer).

Part of me feels like a 5er (and its increased weight, size, cost) wouldnt be worth it for that amount of use....the other part of me thinks it will tow better, have more room (not a big deal, as long as the camper we get has separate BH for the kids), and have more features (centralized docking station, bigger tanks, etc). I have heard of some people saying a their 12k loaded 5er tows just as good or better (feel, stability, ease of tow, mpg) than their 9k loaded TT???? Thanks again for all your input and help...I grew up camping in motorhomes with my grandparents and travelling during summers, but this would be our first camper we purchase (aside from a pop up we had years ago).
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Really, it depends on your wallet, your tow vehicle and your needs. A fifth wheel will tow easier, but you loose the truck bed for storage of anything that's taller than the rails, you gain some extra trailer storage and more private space inside (steps to upper section) but lose some height in the front. You can't put two dirt bikes in the truck bed with a fiver attached. Fifth wheels are usually a bit more rigid with sturdier frames, but not always. They are easier for one person to hitch, sit taller and are easier to hang on a low tree limb.

Is it worth the extra investment? For us, yes, for everyone, probably not. Remember that as your kids grow, their interests will change, so keep that in mind. Later, you'll be changing tricycles and bicycles for motorcycles and ATV's. It's tough to plan the future, but if you think along those lines, you'll most likely be happier with your choice of RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #26
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Really, it depends on your wallet, your tow vehicle and your needs. A fifth wheel will tow easier, but you loose the truck bed for storage of anything that's taller than the rails, you gain some extra trailer storage and more private space inside (steps to upper section) but lose some height in the front. You can't put two dirt bikes in the truck bed with a fiver attached. Fifth wheels are usually a bit more rigid with sturdier frames, but not always. They are easier for one person to hitch, sit taller and are easier to hang on a low tree limb.

Is it worth the extra investment? For us, yes, for everyone, probably not. Remember that as your kids grow, their interests will change, so keep that in mind. Later, you'll be changing tricycles and bicycles for motorcycles and ATV's. It's tough to plan the future, but if you think along those lines, you'll most likely be happier with your choice of RV's.
Good points and thank you. Actually, my 6 year old has been riding a raptor 50 atv for 2 years now..I also ride quite a bit..and my 3 year old has been riding an electric one for a year...a toy hauler might well be in our future, but I am guessing that would be 5 years down the road as that way I could take them both to Hatfield Mccoy in west va with me (I wouldnt take my 6 year old there now..too dangerous for him).

I have considered just getting a TH now, but I cant justify towing around a 14k TH when we just go camping to a state park or something..plus, I would likely have to get a DRW truck and that I dont want to do at this time (3500 SRW is going to be ordered soon though).

Lack of space for bikes in the bed would be a challenge though...I imagine I would have to get creative and put them inside the 5er or rig something up. The cost difference isnt that big in the grand scheme of things I suppose...I think a TT would fit us better (to be able to use the truck bed for bikes, etc), but the benefits of the 5er seem to be swaying me back that way too...what to do, what to do??
Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

That's why I added my comments. It is a tough decision. Most things are a compromise, but if you don't consider something, that's usually the point that causes "forehead slapping" once the deal is made. I can't begin to name all the times that I've made a decision "knowing" that I've considered everything, only to find out that I hadn't. There are toy hauler travel trailer bunkhouses that are in the 30' range, also some fifth wheel TH models that might fit your choice of truck without having to upgrade to a dually. Keep looking, keep considering, start your list of trailers and compare them all using a sheet of paper with all your "needs", "pros" and "cons" on it. That way, they all get "judged" by the same criteria and nothing gets omitted while walking through a unit, just looking and you find yourself admiring a new feature and forget about all the "other stuff" LOL Been there/done that....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #28
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's why I added my comments. It is a tough decision. Most things are a compromise, but if you don't consider something, that's usually the point that causes "forehead slapping" once the deal is made. I can't begin to name all the times that I've made a decision "knowing" that I've considered everything, only to find out that I hadn't. There are toy hauler travel trailer bunkhouses that are in the 30' range, also some fifth wheel TH models that might fit your choice of truck without having to upgrade to a dually. Keep looking, keep considering, start your list of trailers and compare them all using a sheet of paper with all your "needs", "pros" and "cons" on it. That way, they all get "judged" by the same criteria and nothing gets omitted while walking through a unit, just looking and you find yourself admiring a new feature and forget about all the "other stuff" LOL Been there/done that....
Sound advice, and I thank you very much! I think the wife thinks the trailer is fine for us, and I am more thinking how much easier things would be with the 5er (hitching, connecting up at campground, etc) and more spacious, but then again only time we would be in the camper is at night...but with two boys 3 and 6 that are out of control most of the time, space might be good!. Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #29
rjh2196

Not to add too much more to your confusion I figured i would throw you my 2 cents. I previously had a 2012 Premier 31BHPR. I really liked the camper but had some major concerns with it since the day I bought it. I went with that one solely because of the weight and it was right on the edge of my tow vehicle capacity at the time. I had some major issues with the cable slide system and didn't care for it since day one. The other major issues I had was I always seemed to hit my head when I sat up in bed and I also would kick the entertainment center in the middle of the night. I am 5'11.
Recently I had my unit in at the dealer for service that was supposed to take an hour....after hour three I began to wonder the lot and came across a 2014 Laredo 303tg and really liked it. It had an 8 cubic foot fridge vs a 6 in the Premier. The bed was a full queen vs the short and the storage over teh bed was higher and in no way a danger to a headbutt! Other things were the slides were the jamb slides vs the cable slides and everything just felt like it had a more solid build quality. The weight is about 1000lbs heavier but that was not an issue for me since I had already upped my tow vehicle to a GMC DenaliHD Turbo Diesel Truck. I went with the travel trailer over a fifth wheel because we like to bring our golf cart and that goes in the bed during the pull...I have heard a lot of people end up with buyers remorse on toy haulers because eventually they don't like sleeping in a garage setting. Just what I have heard and in no way can give a personal opinion on that. The Laredo 303tg is a great trailer with the upgrades I was hoping for when I bought the Premier. It filled the little shortcomings I found after I bought it and I couldn't be happier that I made the switch to the Laredo. Again just my 2 cents worth and I hope you can find the right trailer for you!
rjh2196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #30
Lrdchaos

Laredo has a new unit out the 320tg, very similar to the 303tg with larger tanks. The wife and I are looking hard at that unit.
Lrdchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #31
gtsum2

Thanks for keeping the ideas and models coming! It seems most bh trailer models we like (bh slide, outdoor kitchen, and bed or wardrobe slide in master) are around 35ft....for 7-9k price difference for a comparable 37ft fifth, I tend to lean to the fifth right now. Really like the sprinter 324 but nobody has one around here. Like the Laredo also but the wife prefers the rustic distressed woodwork of the sprinter. Ordering me truck next week so will be making a decision soon. Thanks again for all the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #32
Diesel Dude

We had the Laredo 303tg loved it. With that being said. Why not look at a 5th wheel? You have the truck to pull it hooking up is much easier and it tows better.
Diesel Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #33
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dude View Post
We had the Laredo 303tg loved it. With that being said. Why not look at a 5th wheel? You have the truck to pull it hooking up is much easier and it tows better.
I am fairly certain that is the route I am going. More space, easier hookup and better towing...the price difference is not that much so hopefully we can find one local
Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #34
spappy

We have a 303BHSSR. Pics can be found here. I am a big 6ft and it has the short queen with the entertainment thing. I can get comfortable, but I need to be all the way to the headboard and aware of where the wall is. When I'm really tired I may hang my feet off the side of the bed because I don't want to kick the wall on accident. I wouldn't say it's impossible or uncomfortable tho.
Spap
Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #35
austinp

We just bought a 2014 Hideout 28BHSWE and I'm about 6'0 210lbs. I seem to fit fine. It bas one slide out and two full sized bunks in the back. It's rated at sleeping 10, but at that it might be a bit cramped. The Tow Vehicle you're looking at would pull it like a champ. I just use a F150 Ecoboost with no real issues.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #36
summerhummer

The comment was made about easier hookup. While I am anal and double check things 7 ways from Sunday when hitching once you get this down it would be 10-14 mins for a TT hook up and walk around.

Is it that much quicker for a fifth wheel? I guess I am saying once you get it down packed hitching should not be a deciding factor between a fiver and a TT.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #37
gtsum2

Lots of good units out there and we have been able to get out and see several in person. Seems like we keep coming back to the Sprinter 316BIK and Sprinter 324 Fifth Wheel. Price difference is not much at all...it comes down to the size of the unit when storing it...and we would have to order the 324 while the 316BIK trailer is in stock....hitch prices are a wash as we would go with a Pro Pride Hitch for the trailer or a Superglide Auto Slide for the fiver....I like the fiver, wife likes the trailer.....
Old 03-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
HappyCamperMN

Tough decision... We're looking at the Premier 31BHPR and it's more or less the same as your 316BIK (minus the extra kitchen slide). I'm partial to the extra door into the bathroom. If I were looking at fifth wheels, the 324 would be near the top of my list.

Flip a coin.?.?

Or just make the wife happy...
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote