Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #41
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SHOVELHEAD View Post
Plenty enough truck . My 2015 2500 6.4 Hemi Ram looks exactly like that truck . Might want to recheck your payload . Mine with 373 gears has a payload capacity of 3130.
I just finally took possession of it today, so ill be able to do some more research especially after i run the rpo codes etc, it very well may have 3130 as well
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #42
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian View Post
I am a retired professional driver and take this seriously. I try hard not to denigrate anyone if they are learning or trying to do things right and asking for help. I meant hidden in that the payload number on the door does not mean that you can put that much tongue weight for a TT or on your frame with a fifth wheel because you need to dig deeper and deduct other weight that you put into your truck...hitch, people etc. So there is a calculation required and the real payload left is not clear at first glance and therefore is hidden. I would recommend taking the truck over the scale as you would go on a trip and also the trailer as fully loaded to find real world numbers.
I planned on a scale visit just to get an idea of how much room I have left, i.e. for generator etc
Old 11-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #43
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian View Post
I will add a few words and try to be constructive.

As others here will tell you, guessing is not something that is something you should attempt when dealing with safety. It is easy to look at the door jam of the truck and the sticker on the trailer to see real, legal numbers. For the trailer, the important number is the GVW which is a loaded trailer and industry standard estimate on a TT is 9 to 14 % as your tongue weight. With the truck, the important number is the payload information. The available payload to tow the trailer is the GVWR less the scale number of the truck with tools, people, hitch etc included. The payload number from the manufacturer will never change even if you modify the truck. Also, to be safe on the road, it is best to have a safety margin and not to be at max payload.

When it comes to axles, legally you need to be aware and in compliance of the GVAR of each axle, but the payload is usually the issue when it comes to towing.

Another thing, if you are thinking of upgrading your truck, many make the mistake of buying a 3/4 ton truck and then learning that the legal number does not increase much because of the definition of what a 3/4 ton is (under 10,000lbs GVWR). A full 1 ton pick up is usually the best route when towing an RV unless the trailer is undersized and no intention of getting a larger trailer. Again it is payload that is usually the critical number when it comes to towing. Especially when it comes to fifth wheels. I know yours is a TT and it puts less weight on the pickup but remember that weight is on the very end of the truck versus a fifth wheel which is centered over the rear wheels.

The towing capacity of the truck is also a number put out by the manufacturers and you need to keep within that number also, but it is usually not as hidden as payload and therefore easier to keep wthin.
Im well aware how it works, im also a commercial driver. The rating on trucks serves as more guidelines to me as for example, I have F350 srw at work that are derated to 3/4 ton for registration purposes. Safety wise they are perfectly safe to tow what any other 1 ton would but on paper it doesn't appear so.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #44
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
Geeze everyone! Hey OP congrats on the new tow vehicle it looks like a very nice truck and hope your happy with it! I'm sure your not an idiot so I'd assume you'll weigh it and be safe about everything since your obviously well informed on the weight **** and what they do! Enjoy the truck good job getting something bigger! Be safe and enjoy!
Thanks man, it seems like so much more truck than even the f350 powerstroke i drive at work!
Old 11-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
Im well aware how it works, im also a commercial driver. The rating on trucks serves as more guidelines to me as for example, I have F350 srw at work that are derated to 3/4 ton for registration purposes. Safety wise they are perfectly safe to tow what any other 1 ton would but on paper it doesn't appear so.

I will say again, with emphasis, this is not the oilfield. One off modified trucks in a Halliburton shop etc. do not pertain to families buying RVs and trying to tow them safely. I live in the oilfield, and no, you guys are not doing everything possible every day to be safe (in fact referred one of your "big red" drivers to your management for dangerous driving). So, IMO, try to address established towing limits as established for everyone. Your pic of the "overloaded" hot shot rig has nothing to do with towing an RV....more like the flatbed trailers the manufacturers use to get their unrealistic numbers - that's NOT RV towing experience.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #46
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have removed the offensive word from all posts starting with post #30 and subsequent. Use of tha word in question is not only offensive to most people, it's also considered vulgar and is against the forum rules. Let this post serve as a warning to those involved to STOP using the word on this forum. This is your one and only warning. Use of the word in any future post will result in termination of forum membership.
Thank you again John!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:05 AM   #47
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I will say again, with emphasis, this is not the oilfield. One off modified trucks in a Halliburton shop etc. do not pertain to families buying RVs and trying to tow them safely. I live in the oilfield, and no, you guys are not doing everything possible every day to be safe (in fact referred one of your "big red" drivers to your management for dangerous driving). So, IMO, try to address established towing limits as established for everyone. Your pic of the "overloaded" hot shot rig has nothing to do with towing an RV....more like the flatbed trailers the manufacturers use to get their unrealistic numbers - that's NOT RV towing experience.
These are not one of halliburton modified trucks, they are ordered with a gvwr under 10k while general public versions are rated around 13k.... And I assure you, one individual, if you had him reported, was not following the procedures we have in place. I have more than just oilfield towing and hot shotting, I've been pulling trailers, including RVs most of my adult life. Towing is towing, period, disagree if you want. The door tags are great guidelines to follow, especially when in doubt, but I fear someone will take that door tag and attempt to max it out or exceed it 'just a little' because the weight tags said it was fine.

When in doubt always go by the lesser numbers but this is derailing my thread where my entire reason for posting wasn't to discuss weights, Again I was more interested in opinions on a 6.4 Ram for towing in general i just attempted humor because I knew id be inundated with questions about weights based on the other threads.

In short I appreciate your comments, because it opens the dialogue, Im not trying to argue and beat dead horses though.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #48
thatoneguy

Well I finally got to take it home, haven't hooked up the trailer and hit the scales yet but I will do so hopefully soon.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201119_141652.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	30856Click image for larger version

Name:	20201119_141701.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	30857
Old 11-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #49
spade117

Quote:
I have removed the offensive word from all posts starting with post #30 and subsequent. Use of tha word in question is not only offensive to most people, it's also considered vulgar and is against the forum rules. Let this post serve as a warning to those involved to STOP using the word on this forum. This is your one and only warning. Use of the word in any future post will result in termination of forum membership.
I missed whatever the word was, so I apologize in advance if I happen to use it at a later time.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #50
Eastham

Just check post # 17 the 2nd sentence and you will know the word
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #51
Eastham

Sorry you missed the boat.it just disappeared from post no 17.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
I missed whatever the word was, so I apologize in advance if I happen to use it at a later time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Just check post # 17 the 2nd sentence and you will know the word
The "word" refers to a political movement in Germany during the 1940's. It has become an inflammatory slur, used to insult people more than a descriptor of political views. I am removing it from every post that I come across, so if you see it in a post, you won't see it for much longer. No, it's not censorship, it's removing insults from posts.

That said, the term "weight police" is "inflammatory enough" without the need to add political insults to the mix.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #53
spade117

Quote:
The "word" refers to a political movement in Germany during the 1940's. It has become an inflammatory slur, used to insult people more than a descriptor of political views. I am removing it from every post that I come across, so if you see it in a post, you won't see it for much longer. No, it's not censorship, it's removing insults from posts.

That said, the term "weight police" is "inflammatory enough" without the need to add political insults to the mix.
Ahhhh….rhymes with Yahtzee!
Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #54
flyingjack

thatoneguy
congrats on new rig; enjoy.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #55
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
thatoneguy
congrats on new rig; enjoy.
ty! I haven't driven it much yet, too many other toys , Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_124644.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	30861
Old 11-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
These are not one of halliburton modified trucks, they are ordered with a gvwr under 10k while general public versions are rated around 13k.... And I assure you, one individual, if you had him reported, was not following the procedures we have in place. I have more than just oilfield towing and hot shotting, I've been pulling trailers, including RVs most of my adult life. Towing is towing, period, disagree if you want. The door tags are great guidelines to follow, especially when in doubt, but I fear someone will take that door tag and attempt to max it out or exceed it 'just a little' because the weight tags said it was fine.

When in doubt always go by the lesser numbers but this is derailing my thread where my entire reason for posting wasn't to discuss weights, Again I was more interested in opinions on a 6.4 Ram for towing in general i just attempted humor because I knew id be inundated with questions about weights based on the other threads.

In short I appreciate your comments, because it opens the dialogue, Im not trying to argue and beat dead horses though.

Not attempting to derail your thread. I applaud your truck upgrade and hope it provides the capacity you need. Hope you get to use it soon but if you are living in that TT then it may be a while. Hopefully you can get things lined out and your towing situation set up.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #57
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SHOVELHEAD View Post
Plenty enough truck . My 2015 2500 6.4 Hemi Ram looks exactly like that truck . Might want to recheck your payload . Mine with 373 gears has a payload capacity of 3130.
I do infact have a payload of 3130 with a gvwr of 10k. So I have plenty of truck for the task, though I haven't scaled it yet, im mostly curious what my tongue weight is, im guessing right around 1k-1100 lbs without my wdh.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I do infact have a payload of 3130 with a gvwr of 10k. So I have plenty of truck for the task, though I haven't scaled it yet, im mostly curious what my tongue weight is, im guessing right around 1k-1100 lbs without my wdh.

"im mostly curious what my tongue weight is, im guessing right around 1k-1100 lbs without my wdh"

^^^??? "Tongue weight" won't include your hitch weight - that's a separate weight all its own, sort of like people, tools etc.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #59
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"im mostly curious what my tongue weight is, im guessing right around 1k-1100 lbs without my wdh"

^^^??? "Tongue weight" won't include your hitch weight - that's a separate weight all its own, sort of like people, tools etc.
I typically carry no other people, and my tool box i carry weights about 40lbs sir but i do understand what you're saying. I live a hermit/hobo life