Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #61
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
I've stayed "overnight" in several campgrounds that wound up being just as loud as a rest stop or truck stop either from highway noise, busy train tracks, and even an airport. Proximity to these types of things would be a good point of consideration when choosing an overnight campground, sometimes worth a quick glance at the map.
Will agree that some are as noisy as Walmarts or truck stops, but most offer a bit of security that the others don't, whether actual or perceived.
After fulltiming for 10+ years we found a good many rv parks are near airports, railroad tracks or the highway. I figure the land was cheaper & usually not too many living in them to complain about the noise.
As for near highways, that seems to be what most travelers prefer for an overnight stop, easy off/easy on.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #62
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
I've stayed "overnight" in several campgrounds that wound up being just as loud as a rest stop or truck stop either from highway noise, busy train tracks, and even an airport. Proximity to these types of things would be a good point of consideration when choosing an overnight campground, sometimes worth a quick glance at the map.
I agree but unfortunately the convenience factor of "overnight" campgrounds is they are close to the interstates for easy on and off access. Couple that with the fact that most RV parks are located on low value properties adjacent to railroad tracks and airports and you are going to get noise. Earplugs are a regular item in our night stands.
RMc

I better go back to typing school if I'm going to beat Danny.
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #63
travelin texans

[QUOTE=Laredo Tugger;421918
I better go back to typing school if I'm going to beat Danny. [/QUOTE]

You must type REALLY slow if you can't type faster than me on my phone keypad, one fat finger letter at a time???
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #64
Bill-2020

Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
"It's illegal to sleep overnight at rest stops in Florida, not that authorities would recommend doing so. In other nearby states, it may not necessarily be illegal to park overnight at a rest area, but many have signs warning against it.

Really?! I live in FL and have stopped many times in the middle of the night to use the facilities (not towing) and all those cars and trucks idling and sleepers full of drivers. I’m unaware of this law and I’ll look it up. DW’s father used to sleep at them when between home and his destination. Some also have signs that state “Overnight Security” for the rest stop.

So looked this up and sure enough, rules state only 3 hour rest stop. No overnight stops. Back in 2004 during three of the hurricanes of that year (Charlie, Frances, Jean) we were forced to evacuate. While everyone was headed north out of Florida, we head-faked the hurricane (Frances) and drove south getting behind it out of harms way. The rest stops (northbound) were packed because those who were staying there (more than 3 hours) had reasons they needed to go north but couldn't because the storm was in the way. Those people had nowhere to go. Hotels were packed. This is one reason why we have a small TT, it's our self-sufficient evacuation pod. When a storm threatens our area, we pack up and leave with lots of fuel, water, food, cash and the generator. Twice in just recent years we've left and once we stayed at a KOA, the other time we cooled our heals at a travel center for about 8-10 hours while the storm began to make turn and the forecast was changed. I don't see a state trooper telling anyone to leave (storm or not) so long as you're not making it a weekend stay. Overnight? I doubt they would send a tired driver back out on the road.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:53 AM   #65
CedarCreekWoody

"I doubt they would send a tired driver back out on the road."

Your last sentence explains why most states allow overnighting in rest stops.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:20 AM   #66
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post

Same vibe to an extent in Walmart lots, but those tend less trucker-ey and more neighborhood-tweekers-being-morons-ey.

What is a "neighborhood-tweekers-being-morons-ey" mean? I don't guess this is something a Texan wouild understand.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #67
notanlines

George, tweakers are people who illicitly use methamphetamine and especially crystal meth. (I'm probably not telling you anything new) Where a cigarette or a glass of alcohol releases about 150 units of dopamine, meth releases about 1,000 units of dopamine. Usually it is inhaled therefore, it goes to your brain so quickly that your high is immediate.
It is said that crack-heads will steal your goodies and then split. Tweakers steal your goodies and then hang around and help you look for it.
Living with a teacher in the house means that strange information rubs off here and there.
And yes, I'll bet Texas has more than their share of 'tweaker-morons.'
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:56 AM   #68
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, tweakers are people who illicitly use methamphetamine and especially crystal meth. (I'm probably not telling you anything new) Where a cigarette or a glass of alcohol releases about 150 units of dopamine, meth releases about 1,000 units of dopamine. Usually it is inhaled therefore, it goes to your brain so quickly that your high is immediate.
It is said that crack-heads will steal your goodies and then split. Tweakers steal your goodies and then hang around and help you look for it.
Living with a teacher in the house means that strange information rubs off here and there.
And yes, I'll bet Texas has more than their share of 'tweaker-morons.'

Never heard the term in that contex. My wife and I binge watched "Breaking Bad" but don't recall the term "tweaker" being used and there were a lot of meth moments in that series. I thought tweaking was a term of adjusting something... live and learn!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:16 AM   #69
chuckster57
Site Team

Modesto has been methdesto for ages. Watch drugs inc on discovery channel for real life stories. I haven’t seen a story on that show that included Modesto.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #70
flybouy
Site Team

They arrested the DC Snipers (Beltway Snipers, Lee Malvo & John Allen Muhammad) in a Maryland rest stop in 2002. I know, that's one instance but it's a pretty regular thing to see in the news where a felon on the run, drug mules, etc. are apprehended in rest stops and truck stops.

As for "no overnight" in rest stops like most things that's at an officer's discretion. I don't think most LEO would chase someone off for getting a few Z's but if your going to set up a homeless camp prepare to get run off.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #71
grey ghost

I carry my own security system with me where ever we go!

1) 9mm Ruger
1) 38 Smith & Wesson
1) AK-47
1) AR-15

Hope I never have to deploy my security system, but if I do I'm sure it will provide adequate security for most situations!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:53 AM   #72
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I carry my own security system with me where ever we go!

1) 9mm Ruger
1) 38 Smith & Wesson
1) AK-47
1) AR-15

Hope I never have to deploy my security system, but if I do I'm sure it will provide adequate security for most situations!!
Wow, that's not a security system, that's a fortress. I would think the Ruger alone would be enough.
I notice your map is all white in the NE. If you ever travel that corridor you may run into issues with your payload.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #73
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Wow, that's not a security system, that's a fortress. I would think the Ruger alone would be enough.
I notice your map is all white in the NE. If you ever travel that corridor you may run into issues with your payload.
Commi-fornia on the Left coast would not be happy either..... and it looks like he's been there.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #74
Ken / Claudia

Freeway/highway rest stops will have as many people though them that live in a small city over a 24 hour time frame. People equals crime, more people more crime and criminals.
Arresting wanted people or people committing crimes is a normal routine at least in Oregon. Worst is near the metro areas but the remote places still have crooks with drug problems. At training were given stats of those at times and told to spend time in them when possible.
I-5 near Wilsonville was nearest rest stops for me, but still outside of our work site patrol areas. There was a troop who worked that area for many years of swing shift. 4 nights a week he arrested someone nearly every night, most where for outstanding warrants next was drug use followed by sex crimes. Not much theft arrests. More theft reports as the crooks got away.
As I recall 3 murders were connected to that stop in 25 years. 1 police shoot out.
There was a rest stop on I-205 in the city of West Linn. That was in our patrol area. Crime got so bad, the city residents got the highway department to close it down. We did a sting over 6 months arrested 190 plus as I recall. That was conducted on fri/sat nights. Drugs and sex crimes.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #75
chuckster57
Site Team

Since gun threads are not allowed on this RV site, continued discussions about firearms will cause this thread to be closed...that is all, resuming thread.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #76
Northofu1

'That was conducted on fri/sat nights. Drugs and sex crimes.'

Hmmm, no Rock and Roll charges, good to see it isn't the devils music.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #77
notanlines

Good turn of the conversation, Dan!
"Back in the 1920s, parent groups and a good many clerics were much exercised by the seductive, destructive power of jazz and the blues. The devil's music, they called it, as late as the mid-1950s."
I believe Duke Ellington was probably the devil himself!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #78
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Good turn of the conversation, Dan!
"Back in the 1920s, parent groups and a good many clerics were much exercised by the seductive, destructive power of jazz and the blues. The devil's music, they called it, as late as the mid-1950s."
I believe Duke Ellington was probably the devil himself!
My Grandmother was still calling it the "Devil's Music" as late as the 60's... But, she always listened to the Swap Shop on the McComb radio station and sang along with Ray Peterson when they played Corinna, Corinna..... Those were the days !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #79
sourdough
Site Team

Devil's music..... DW's dad was a deacon at church and her mom was SO straight laced. I was 15 and in a soft rock garage band....she told me they told her I was playing "the Devil's music".

My mom and dad loved to dance - the jitterbug was their thing. Dad was a deacon and stopped doing those "devil things"....sort of; us younguns would beg him and mom to dance for us and they would. When they got going it was something to see - told him back then I didn't see no devil in it.....just looked fun; sort of what I told my future DW about my playing guitar.....with a big amp...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #80
purebred

Never had any problems in rest areas here in Texas. But by the same token this is Texas, different mind set from the rest.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote