Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
NH_Bulldog

Toilet issue leads to bigger problems

So a few weeks ago, I thought I tracked down the odor issue in the camper. We found that we had one of the defective Dometic 300 toilets. The space between the inner and outer shell would fill with liquid waste and cause a terrible smell. While waiting for the replacement to arrive, I disassembled, cleaned, sealed, reassembled and reinstalled. Thought I smelled something when we got home after that trip, but inside shell was dry. Got home today and DW says it smells terrible inside the camper, but more in the main area than the bathroom. Check the toilet again and still good. Hmmmmmm. Pull a floor heat register and see the top of the coroplast is wet and the smell coming out of there...pewwwwww. Stuck my phone down the hole for the heat register and can see what looks like liquid running down from top of black tank. Underside of floor looks wet? Ok, obviously something bad going on here.

I pulled the toilet, and removed the floor flange screws, then unscrewed the flange and there it is. The threads on the floor flange where it screws on to the tank is broken and any liquid in the black tank has been sloshing up and out as we moved down the road. From the looks of the flange, it has been that way since it was built. The thread sealant had come through the cracked areas and was on the outside of the threaded section. I can fix that easy enough with a new flange, but as I was on the floor on my hands and knees, I discovered that the bathroom floor and a little out into the living area is completed rotted. Obviously it’s been an issue from the start but took awhile to be discovered. Trailer is 5 months outside the 1 year warranty so I might have a warranty battle on my hands. I might look into an insurance claim if they are unresponsive.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any tips, suggestions, ideas? How had is it to cut out snd replace the bathroom floor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D140B23F-E3DD-48A5-9473-2B6DE9227431.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	30144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF61FF85-7436-4B59-AEC7-FB9252DF3719.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	30145   Click image for larger version

Name:	1AD6E179-F5D2-4994-90AD-EEC5D3540D87.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	30146   Click image for larger version

Name:	90E6CED9-348C-4FFE-9166-259B992F8344.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	30147  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Wow! One of those kinds of things we all worry about and hope we never find.

Have you made any kind of warranty claim on any of the toilet/plumbing issues you've had? Have you filed ANY warranty of any kind? The reason I ask is that if there is some history it might prove beneficial for a warranty claim. Have you had it to the dealer? Do they know you? I'm figuring the dealer is going to be the one that has to convince Keystone this was a warranty issue within the 12mo. window. It can be done but they will have to argue with them to get it covered. You may have to become involved as well.

The pics show damage that occurred some time ago IMO - I would assert before the 12mo. warranty was out. With the damage as great as it is it might be an uphill battle for warranty. I would think your insurance would cover the damaged areas....I hope. I'm wishing you the best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:42 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I talked with the dealer today to get an update on the status of the replacement toilet and was told that it was supposedly shipped from Dometic 2 weeks ago, but they had no tracking to indicate it was actually shipped. Given parts delays across the board, I am not surprised.

For the floor issue they said they would look at it and see what they could do with Keystone for warranty. I glanced at my insurance policy as a backup and it said there was an exclusion for repeated seepage or leakage of water from within or around a plumbing fixture or appliance.

More to come on the drama, but for now I have a dehumidifier exhaust ducted into the belly under the wet area to speed-dry it before our last trip of the season this coming weekend. I ordered a new flange and will reassemble for this trip and then pull it back apart when we get back to see if everything stayed dry.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 10-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #4
VooDooCamper

I think this is what I'm running into with my camper. Dealership wants $6k for floor replacement. Same 300 series toilet. Ugh.
VooDooCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
ChuckS

From the pic it looks to me like it was cracked the day it was installed on the plumbing line. Typical

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I agree. The way the pipe thread sealant oozed through the cracks tells me it was at least cracked if not broken when it was installed. The flange is in a ziplock bag and I took a ton of pictures.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
LewisB

FYI, I just ordered a Dometic 320 toilet yesterday and will get it on Saturday (3 days, UPS). I suspect your dealer is dragging his feet...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

The issue may be that Dometic is replacing it under warranty and they are sending it direct from themselves, not through a retail outlet..
Old 10-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

I installed the new toilet flange last night and reinstalled the toilet. Added water to the black tank and today headed out for our last trip of the season. Got to our campsite tonight and DW said inside of camper smelled nice. I pulled the heat register closest to the bathroom and stuck my phone down into the floor space and it was clean and dry! So it looks like the broken toilet flange was the issue. Now I just need to either fix the bath floor myself or fight Keystone over a warranty issue.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
ChuckS

Always great when a repair goes as hoped and the outcome is positive .. nice work

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet