Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #21
LCrabtree

Water Connection Setup

My setup is (from the city water => Trailer):
> Anti-kink pigtail hose
> Filter (they are particulate filters, so I filter BEFORE the rest of the setup)
> Pressure regulator
> Gated Wye (so I can always tap into filtered, pressure controlled H2O)
> Hose (only used for potable water)
> Gate valve (at the trailer)
> Elbow
> City water connection at trailer

With this setup, everything gets filtered water including the pressure regulator. Everything except for the filter gets pressure regulated water.
I can close the gate valve at the trailer, disconnect and fill the fresh water holding tank without making any additional connections.
I always have a filtered, pressure regulated source available for other uses at the park supply post (drinking, washing, cleaning, etc.).
LCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #22
rodgebone

My setup...starting at the city supply spigot: "Y" adapter with 1/2" on/off valves first (as mentioned above) - one outlet for drinking/fresh water and the other side strictly for black tank flushing. On the black tank flush side I then run a dedicated regulator/restricter (to eliminate over pressurizing the line fittings inside the trailer during flushing) and then the hose to a 90-degree brass fitting at the trailer connection. On the city/drinking water side I attach a proper adjustable regulator/sediment screen to the Y adapter, then the hose, then the filter and finally one of those short white flexible hose adapters (which come with some camco filters) to the plastic city water connection on the trailer (I would use a brass 90-degree elbow here but found in my case it doesn't allow enough clearance between the trailer and the filter due to the angle/flex of the plastic trailer connection). I then slip a water pipe insulation sleeve around the filter to allow it to rest against the side of the trailer - this relieves a little of the downward stress on the plastic trailer connection from the weight of the water-logged filter (not perfect but better than nothing).

Slightly off topic but while we are here how does everyone insulate their supply spigot for sub zero temps? going into my second winter here in Oregon - last year it only froze twice and quickly thawed but doubt I'll get that lucky two seasons in a row. was thinking pipe insulating foam sleeve around the spigot covered with a plastic trash bag and wrapped with duct tape
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #23
jdarwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I run from the trailer the 90°, the small white hose that came with filter, then the filter to the regulator then to the hose, to a valved "T" to the supply post.
I use the regulator in Danny's posted pic.
I do the same.
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #24
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It's best to hang the majority of the weight from the water source & less from the rv connection which is usually a plastic fitting.
Also would recommend a real regulator, see picture, rather than the cheapo restrictor that the dealer may have provided.
Attachment 29693
Ditto! I have this same regulator. If the gauge ever stops working its probably the plumbers tape they use. I had to take off the gauge, clear some of the tape, put it back and works great now. I hook this up to the water source. My filter is in line on the hose, hose to trailer hook up. Least amount of stress on trailer fitting.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #25
Bandit12

I never used a pressure regulator until this last trip to South Dakota. Then again, this was the first trip we've ever used hook ups. As such, I had a little dinky fixed pressure regulator and when we hooked it up at the last campground on our trip, the campground water pressure was so high, it tripped the regulator and shut off all water. I told my wife we need to go look into getting an adjustable pressure regulator. We got the regulator, and ended up trading in our 2 year old Jayco for a 2021 Cougar. We haven't had a filter on the line, but one thing I added to the set up is a brass shutoff valve. With the shutoff valve, I can hook everything up, turn on the water, adjust the pressure before any water ever enters the trailer plumbing system. So my setup is hydrant-regulator-hose-shutoff valve-90 degree elbow-trailer.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:04 AM   #26
notanlines

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image
As was stated earlier, this the best solution, dollar for dollar. Solid brass AND they send a handy-dandy black carrying case! My second regulator arrived just yesterday. Left the original on the pedestal in Missouri.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #27
Jeff615

Water pressure

Once everything is hooked up, what is the best water pressure to set the gauge at? Also, do you set the pressure with the faucet on or off?
Jeff615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #28
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff615 View Post
Once everything is hooked up, what is the best water pressure to set the gauge at? Also, do you set the pressure with the faucet on or off?
50-60 psi. I set mine at 55
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #29
Jeff615

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
50-60 psi. I set mine at 55
Then do I adjust it with water on or off?
Jeff615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #30
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff615 View Post
Then do I adjust it with water on or off?
it doesn't matter if the water is on or off - either condition is fine while adjusting. but if you want to "fine tune" it to your liking keep the water on. i just set mine to 55 (water on at the spigot and all RV faucets off) - that met my preferences nicely
Old 09-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #31
Jeff615

Thank you for the help.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #32
travelin texans

The one pictured that I bought came pre set at 55 psi which is a pressure.
Understand though that if the park pressure is less than the regulator setting it WILL NOT increase pressure, it will only regulate higher pressures.
But the little restrictor that they call a regulator you may have will restrict the flow regardless of incoming pressure high or low.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water