Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
purebred

Alpine faucet, another bad keystone design

Wondering if others have had problems with the bathroom faucet in their trailers? Not from leaking but from water continually pouring back from the spout to where it mounts on the basin. I finally had to make a makeshift spout to get the water to go in the sink rather than splashback and end up going down inside my vanity. Annoying to say the least. Faucet spout needs to be either longer or moved closer to sink. I know it's a petty issue but just another problem i've encountered.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Replacing the faucets in the bathroom sink and kitchen is pretty easy and you can swap them out with anything from any of the big box home improvement stores.

Still, whoever made the final decision to install THAT specific faucet, .... almost guaranteed ... never spent a single night in a camper, and made the decision sitting behind his big desk with a computer mock-up.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Replacing the faucets in the bathroom sink and kitchen is pretty easy and you can swap them out with anything from any of the big box home improvement stores.

Still, whoever made the final decision to install THAT specific faucet, .... almost guaranteed ... never spent a single night in a camper, and made the decision sitting behind his big desk with a computer mock-up.
How right you are Sir. I do know that faucets will work from Lowes or Home depot. My problem is getting my big fat A--- under there and changing it. Thanks
Old 11-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I suspect you may be off on your premise for installing the faucet. The person that made the decision looked at a spreadsheet on his computer as he sat behind his desk and he moved the cursor over to the field that said COST. He saw bath sink & cost and the faucet in quesiton was installed in all these trailers.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
How right you are Sir. I do know that faucets will work from Lowes or Home depot. My problem is getting my big fat A--- under there and changing it. Thanks

Did you know that a special faucet wrench exists for those of use that are not suitably slender to do this type task. In fact, the faucet on my kitchen sink in the house has insufficient room to get my chubby little hands and arm up there to put the nut on to tighten. Google FAUCET WRENCH. Here is one on Amazon and it looks nothing like the one used to install my kitchen faucet but suspect they all have the same general conformation:

https://www.amazon.com/installer-mul...42324591&psc=1

This gizmo may allow you to install without physically squeezing into the cabinet.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Did you know that a special faucet wrench exists for those of use that are not suitably slender to do this type task. In fact, the faucet on my kitchen sink in the house has insufficient room to get my chubby little hands and arm up there to put the nut on to tighten. Google FAUCET WRENCH. Here is one on Amazon and it looks nothing like the one used to install my kitchen faucet but suspect they all have the same general conformation:

https://www.amazon.com/installer-mul...42324591&psc=1

This gizmo may allow you to install without physically squeezing into the cabinet.
Thanks George, looks like a pretty handy gizmo. I don't know if I'd ever use it but it sure look good in my toolbox. Sure would make a lot of people scratch their head. 😅
Old 11-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
dutchmensport

Quote:
...Sure would make a lot of people scratch their head. 😅
I jumped on the link, saw the image and my mind went directly in the gutter! I looked at it and said, Oh my!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
purebred

Quote:
I jumped on the link, saw the image and my mind went directly in the gutter! I looked at it and said, Oh my!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
Sarge2

I've always used a "basin wrench" .. has a swivel head that works really well...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Wondering if others have had problems with the bathroom faucet in their trailers? Not from leaking but from water continually pouring back from the spout to where it mounts on the basin. I finally had to make a makeshift spout to get the water to go in the sink rather than splashback and end up going down inside my vanity. Annoying to say the least. Faucet spout needs to be either longer or moved closer to sink. I know it's a petty issue but just another problem i've encountered.
It’s not just an Alpine issue! Our bath faucet is so short only my 7 year old can actually wash her hands UNDER the faucet. One of my winter projects is to replace it with one that not only has more rise but more projection out over the sink.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

My missus has been complaining about the crappy plastic kitchen faucet in our camper for awhile but I continue to procrastinate. It is in a corner and would require getting up in that cabinet even with the proper tools.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #12
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
It’s not just an Alpine issue! Our bath faucet is so short only my 7 year old can actually wash her hands UNDER the faucet. One of my winter projects is to replace it with one that not only has more rise but more projection out over the sink.
Thanks for response. I thought ours was the only one like it. You're right it doesn't stick out far enough over the sink and water dribbles back down it and goes past the mounting holes and gets the underneath wet. I finally found a plastic tube i was able to modify for the aerator that kind of eliminates the squirting from it. The hole for water in the faucet is so small that pressure is high and pushes the water past the aerator screens in a dribbles.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My missus has been complaining about the crappy plastic kitchen faucet in our camper for awhile but I continue to procrastinate. It is in a corner and would require getting up in that cabinet even with the proper tools.
I should have mentioned the kitchen faucet also. Nothing but problems with the spray head on the faucet. For the cost of these faucets you would think they would be a better quality and at least last a year. Guess not. Don't get me wrong I like the trailer but damn this stuff is frustrating. Back to paying 70,000 and expecting a good product but others here think not. Go figure.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #14
Sarge2

I agree on the bath faucet.. way too short and useless for the most part... I'll be replacing it come spring...
As for the kitchen faucet it works excellently and my wife loves the pull out spray head...
I'll be replacing the bathroom faucet come spring.. the covers on and I don't plan on going back into it until spring or after Late Feb or early March... depending on our Michigan weather...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I am assuming this is your first RV? You have railed about many failures and shortcomings as you see them - not seen a new RV that didn't have them. As far as the faucet, did you not see that on walk through? Was it a fault that just became apparent after you made the decision to accept it?

Not trying to be harsh but when you buy a unit, then all of a sudden run down stuff....after it should have been inspected and approved by the owner, is....a little off color.

Every RV I've ever bought (all new) come with a myriad of problems...it is the nature of the animal. I do not however try to post every possible thing that did/could/might have happened.

A faucet that doesn't "spout" like you want goes back to the above. My bathroom has 2 sinks...under the cabinets above. I have to dunk my head under the overhead cabinets to brush/spit when I clean my teeth. Gripe about it? I'm happy to have the large counter/sinks etc. in an RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #16
purebred

Cool Another expert spouting off like my faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I am assuming this is your first RV? You have railed about many failures and shortcomings as you see them - not seen a new RV that didn't have them. As far as the faucet, did you not see that on walk through? Was it a fault that just became apparent after you made the decision to accept it?

Not trying to be harsh but when you buy a unit, then all of a sudden run down stuff....after it should have been inspected and approved by the owner, is....a little off color.

Every RV I've ever bought (all new) come with a myriad of problems...it is the nature of the animal. I do not however try to post every possible thing that did/could/might have happened.

A faucet that doesn't "spout" like you want goes back to the above. My bathroom has 2 sinks...under the cabinets above. I have to dunk my head under the overhead cabinets to brush/spit when I clean my teeth. Gripe about it? I'm happy to have the large counter/sinks etc. in an RV.
My first rv was in 1967 how about you expert? The problems encountered with my faucets didn't happen immediately with the PDI. It was latter that the problems of it leaking and spouting off (Kinda like experts on here) happened. What good is a Keystone forum if you can't bring up Keystone problems??? In the meantime just keep your head under the sink spitting.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I've always used a "basin wrench" .. has a swivel head that works really well...
Same here, that fancy tool might work for install, but what about removal? This is why I have a basin wrench.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #18
chunker

To get good kitchen and bath faucets you have to step up a few notches in the price range. My Itasca Horizon had Moen faucets all around. That's a motorhome by the way. In trailers I suspect you will have to upgrade to Hew Horizon, Spacecraft or such. Manufacturers of these lower to mid range trailers/5th wheels use cheaper plastic stuff for the weight. A few extra pounds here and there adds up to less cargo capacity. Less CC means less desirability and fewer sales and more criticism. As stated that plastic was there when you bought it but if it's leaking then perhaps a warranty claim. Then you will get a new plastic one put in just like the one you hate. OR go to your favorite big box and buy one you like. That's what I did for my GF's Crusader 5th wheel. That's what I'll do if I get annoyed with the one in the Raptor 356.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
My first rv was in 1967 how about you expert? The problems encountered with my faucets didn't happen immediately with the PDI. It was latter that the problems of it leaking and spouting off (Kinda like experts on here) happened. What good is a Keystone forum if you can't bring up Keystone problems??? In the meantime just keep your head under the sink spitting.

Well, I guess you got me there; my first RV was in 1980.

"Not from leaking but from water continually pouring back from the spout to where it mounts on the basin. I finally had to make a makeshift spout to get the water to go in the sink rather than splashback and end up going down inside my vanity."

Hmmm, your initial post said "leaking" and the spout wouldn't make the water go into the sink.... Your comment to me then says "not leaking" etc.

You can understand how anyone might wonder what you are talking about. Of course I would love to see a pic or video of your faucet "spouting off"; without that I'm not sure that anyone has any idea of what you are complaining about....that wasn't looked at on the PDI.

As far as experts "spouting off" on the forum - you are free to feel what you like. I am sure it would be frustrating to be unable to accurately describe an issue. On the other hand, if you feel like that you know you are able to find other avenues to vent your dissatisfactions. Not trying to argue, just pointing out your situations don't really warrant casting aspersions or snarky remarks at other members.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:16 AM   #20
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, I guess you got me there; my first RV was in 1980.

"Not from leaking but from water continually pouring back from the spout to where it mounts on the basin. I finally had to make a makeshift spout to get the water to go in the sink rather than splashback and end up going down inside my vanity."

Hmmm, your initial post said "leaking" and the spout wouldn't make the water go into the sink.... Your comment to me then says "not leaking" etc.

You can understand how anyone might wonder what you are talking about. Of course I would love to see a pic or video of your faucet "spouting off"; without that I'm not sure that anyone has any idea of what you are complaining about....that wasn't looked at on the PDI.

As far as experts "spouting off" on the forum - you are free to feel what you like. I am sure it would be frustrating to be unable to accurately describe an issue. On the other hand, if you feel like that you know you are able to find other avenues to vent your dissatisfactions. Not trying to argue, just pointing out your situations don't really warrant casting aspersions or snarky remarks at other members.
I was trying to make a point of faucets used in my trailer which happens to be a Keystone product. These faucets because of their design and cost are used in these trailers to save money like others have said. Like others have also said I can change them out if i want too. When a faucet is designed to not carry water to the sink correctly I and like others on this thread make a comment on it. I sure didn't need someone like you to tell me I should have seen it on a PDI!!! And if I can't bring it up on a Keystone forum where can I ? It's your comments about people's problems that warrant the snarky remarks made by others to people like you. I am not alone on here with this feeling. I have received a lot of messages from others who feel the same. Take it for what it's worth.

Tags
alpine, keystone