Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yareelohim View Post
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Do you think the stabilitrak, hill decent, and grade braking features will make any difference?

I don’t know but I can tell you it’s impossible to fish tail or spin out this truck. I have tried hard, even in snow and ice but he truck is so darn smart it stabilizes me perfect. I don’t like that personally but it’s a great safety feature. Not sure how it translates to the trailer.
My F150 King Ranch touted an "sway control" built in. That was obviously a long time ago but it had little effect on our 36' trailer pushing that light truck around. The issue I've found with those type systems isn that they often "mask" or control until they can't and then all Hell breaks loose. Personally, I'd rather have the warning up front. I don't know how the system on your truck will react as I haven't driven it.

I almost lost ours towing with the 150 on the top of a mountain. Passed a semi on the right, a semi on my left approaching, and a wind shear as we crested the top of the pass. I think the trailer was on 2 wheels for a bit, first on one side then the other. I towed the combo all over the place without incident but that made me understand that the truck was not up to the task.

I wish you luck but like I said, go slow. If your barreling down the road at 70+ mph you will have loess time and less success at recovering from sway. Luckily I was going about 50 mph and it was was scarry. I'll just ad that I've been driving all sorts of vehicles, boats, and planes for over 5 decades so I do have some experience.

Good luck to you./
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #22
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OP, The hitch weight will generally be 13 percent of the trailer's gross weight. Your gross weight is 9580 lbs. Your hitch weight will be in the neighborhood of 1240 lbs. Add 500 lbs of people, 400 lbs of gear and a 125 lb hitch. This comes to almost 2300 lbs. Your payload is 2030. As has pointed out, the 1/2 ton is very much less than ideal for dragging a 34' bumper pull and you will be overweight to boot. You can trust your family's safety to a calculator if you like. As I mentioned, a 1/2 ton is not very suitable for any trailer over 30' and will tow poorly for reasons others have laid out. Do with this info as you like but I have been there and done that.

Help me understand.
Aren’t you figuring hitch weight according to the MAX weight allowed on the trailer?

What’s the hitch weight when it’s at a 1/4 - 1/2 capacity?

GM includes 300lbs and 70lbs in their tow already. They specially state that the tow weight and hitch weight are calculated after the 370lbs.

I can only see hitting the numbers you quote if I filled every tank to the brim and put way more gear and people than I am willing to pack or unload.

Am I reading that wrong?
Yareelohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #23
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
“There you go… (Please)”

Sorry if our desire to help somebody new offends you in some way. But what better time for the OP to learn about and consider payload issues before he even pulls a new trailer off the lot. We are certainly not trying to badmouth anyone and the OP’s second post indicates he doesn’t mind some assistance.
It would be nice if some folks would at least welcome a new member to the site before "informing" them that their set up is unsafe and their TV is overloaded.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Help me understand.
Aren’t you figuring hitch weight according to the MAX weight allowed on the trailer?

GM includes 300lbs and 70lbs in their tow already. They specially state that the tow weight and hitch weight are calculated after the 370lbs.

I can only see hitting the numbers you quote if I filled every tank to the brim and put way more gear and people than I am willing to pack or unload.

Am I reading that wrong?
ALWAYS do your calculations from the rv GVWR of your particular rv & the payload posted on your particular truck. NEVER use numbers from brochures or literature, they tend to run on the lightweight side & damn sure NOTHING that comes out of a salespersons mouth.
Forget you ever saw a max tow weight, that number was arrived by the truck manufacturer using a low profile utility trailer with a low profile load directly over the axles & in NO WAY compares to towing a long high profile sail behind a lightweight truck. Imagine towing your house with your garden tractor in a 40+ mph wind.
Also pay no attention to the dry weight of ANY rv!! That's what it weighed when it rolled out the factory door minus batteries, propane & possibly a spare tire, you, nor anyone else, will ever tow it at that weight.
You claim you'll only travel 1/2 loaded, but from my own experience, I'm sure others will agree, stuff gets loaded & never seems to get unloaded. Figuring max gives a bit of a cushion. I guarantee at some time you'll tow it with a couple, if not all, of the tanks @ 1/2 full or more if you use the rv regularly.
Always calculate 13% tongue weight for a TT (about 23% pin weight for a 5th wheel) from the posted GVWR of whatever rv you're considering against the payload posted on YOUR particular truck, they are not all created equal.
BTW, Welcome to the forum! Good luck & safe travels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Help me understand.

Am I reading that wrong?

You've done some homework and that's good. What you're hearing about the gvw is due to a few things but among them; always trying to figure out the max you can tow because you "won't take anything", "won't carry water" etc. etc. is just a recipe for failure. Using the gvw, if you don't max out the payload of the trailer, gives you a bit of breathing room weight wise for safety purposes. I can tell you now, from experience, that every trailer we have owned started out as "I'm not carrying all that stuff again". By the time we got a new one the old one was STUFFED with things because on every trip there is something you don't have that you needed/wanted. It does not come back out.

There will be the time when you're on a trip and you enter 3 days of rain. You do not feel like getting drenched to dump the tanks each morning so you pull in, set up without the sewer hose then depart the next day without dumping. It happens. If the truck is maxed out and you can't do any of that, or take the kids bicycles etc., you will not only be miserable but in the end you will load it up anyway.

As far as trying to tow almost 10k with a 1/2 ton btdt. Ain't pretty. Not only payload was an issue but a 1/2 ton isn't built for that load. From springs, to shocks, to tires, sway bars etc. they don't have the build for carrying and controlling that much weight. After LT tires, Bilstein shocks, heavier sway bar and air bags (which made it better) it was still NO FUN and a 3/4 ton was purchased straight away (night and day difference). What type/size of tires are on your truck (max psi would help as well)?

One last question on your payload; you show a 5040 curb weight for the truck. My 1/2 ton was 5300 scaled. Where is the 5040 coming from...hopefully not a brochure?

Weights, reasons for using them and how they apply can be, and is, confusing. Everyone only wants to help you have a wonderful time with your new trailer - safely with no mishaps. Your pic shows two little ones so keep in mind their weights....and toys will keep growing.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
It would be nice if some folks would at least welcome a new member to the site before "informing" them that their set up is unsafe and their TV is overloaded.
Randy (BrooksFam): What I see is a young family in the process of buying a first time large trailer and having a 1/2 ton truck...he hadn't even taken possession yet. What a great time to ask questions about his "payload" and how he arrived at other calculations. I suggest you read the posts for what they say. The ""informing" them that their set up is unsafe and their TV is overloaded" are your words, not mine. The OP doesn't seem to have minded; see his second post.

Jonathan (Yareelohim): My compliments on being open to comments from others as you transition into your new RV. Our two boys were about the same age as yours appear to be when we started - they are both over 40 now and still talk about trips we took with that first (and then subsequent) rigs.

I think my concern from the start was how you were arriving at "payload" capacity on your truck. The only numbers that count are the yellow payload sticker on your truck as well as the GVWR, GCWR, FAWR, RAWR, trailer GVWR, tire ratings, etc.. Every truck will be different due to build and options. You seem to be on the way to discovering that and making decisions that work for your family. The ultimate proof of legality will be a truck scale and the ultimate proof of "drivability" will be the first time you are surprise passed by an 18 wheeler in a wind storm on the freeway. Many of the guys here (including me) offer comments based on BTDT.

Again, my compliments on your quest to "get it right" and seek aid from others. Hopefully, you will interpret the fact that I am sitting here late at night talking about your RV as my desire to see you be successful and your family have a safe and comfortable RV adventure. Even though some may not get it, that's my way of saying "welcome".
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #27
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Randy (BrooksFam): What I see is a young family in the process of buying a first time large trailer and having a 1/2 ton truck...he hadn't even taken possession yet. What a great time to ask questions about his "payload" and how he arrived at other calculations. I suggest you read the posts for what they say. The ""informing" them that their set up is unsafe and their TV is overloaded" are your words, not mine. The OP doesn't seem to have minded; see his second post.

Jonathan (Yareelohim): My compliments on being open to comments from others as you transition into your new RV. Our two boys were about the same age as yours appear to be when we started - they are both over 40 now and still talk about trips we took with that first (and then subsequent) rigs.

I think my concern from the start was how you were arriving at "payload" capacity on your truck. The only numbers that count are the yellow payload sticker on your truck as well as the GVWR, GCWR, FAWR, RAWR, trailer GVWR, tire ratings, etc.. Every truck will be different due to build and options. You seem to be on the way to discovering that and making decisions that work for your family. The ultimate proof of legality will be a truck scale and the ultimate proof of "drivability" will be the first time you are surprise passed by an 18 wheeler in a wind storm on the freeway. Many of the guys here (including me) offer comments based on BTDT.

Again, my compliments on your quest to "get it right" and seek aid from others. Hopefully, you will interpret the fact that I am sitting here late at night talking about your RV as my desire to see you be successful and your family have a safe and comfortable RV adventure. Even though some may not get it, that's my way of saying "welcome".
GREAT reply...thank you for that and your late night response is both noted and appreciated.

I love your comment about the family memories. I had a really nice river jet boat I dreamed about for along time. We did a lot of hunting and fishing from it with the boys but they really didn't like being cooped up inside of a boat all day. My first hunting trip in a travel trailer was a revelation. I sold my boat the next week (bittersweet) and purchased this trailer 4 weeks later after looking at a TON of them with the family. I view it as an investment into years we will never get back, so make the best of them now.

If anyone else prior to this message is reading this, my numbers aren’t based on assumption as others seem to be assuming. My truck weight is from me weighing it on a scale (5,040 lbs). The payload capacity is the sticker in the door of the truck (2,030).

This particular “HT” was built by GM to be able to tow 12,000 lbs with a GCWR of 17,500 lbs.

It was built with suspension, frame, tires, etc to all be able to tow 12,000. It’s the only HT on the market to do that.

I feel like people are reading “HT” and instantly assuming it’s the normal 5.3L built to tow 9,000lbs and then disregarding my actual numbers I’m listing which are NOT from a brochure or salesmen ��

That’s probably why the truck cost $65k off the lot in 2015. (I didn’t pay that much for it).
Old 11-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
GREAT reply...thank you for that and your late night response it both noted and appreciated.

If anyone else prior to this message is reading this, my numbers aren’t based on assumption and most people keep assuming. My truck weight is from me weighing it on a scale (5,040 lbs). The payload capacity is the sticker in the door of the truck (2,030).

This particular “HT” was built by GM to be able to tow 12,000 lbs with a GCWR of 17,500 lbs.

It was built with suspension, frame, tires, etc to all be able to tow 12,000. It’s the only HT on the market to do that.

I feel like people are reading “HT” and instantly assuming it’s the normal 5.3L built to tow 9,000lbs and then disregarding my actual numbers I’m listing which are NOT from a brochure or salesmen 😂

That’s probably why the truck cost $65k off the lot in 2015. (I didn’t pay that much for it).

Knowing where numbers come from, from those of us that worry about it, is nice to know. Far too many choose their combinations based on brochures - big mistake. You have scaled the truck which is good.

I would just advise that you check the tire type, load range etc. They may well be the weakest link you have.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #29
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Knowing where numbers come from, from those of us that worry about it, is nice to know. Far too many choose their combinations based on brochures - big mistake. You have scaled the truck which is good.

I would just advise that you check the tire type, load range etc. They may well be the weakest link you have.

Thank you. And I want to reiterate I really do appreciate everyones concern and going back and forth with me on this.

I do have E rated LT Cooper Discoverers on the truck.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #30
Yareelohim

UPDATE:

Trailer is home

Apparently a wire was crushed in the drum which was shorting the trailer brakes.

It was my first time towing something this heavy so I took it really easy and stayed at 55 mph. I can definitely feel the weight of this trailer compared to my boats I have towed. It felt like it towed great but I won't know until I have more time and more scenarios. I'll take it to the scales once we are loaded up with all our gear and see where we are.

Loving this thing so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9273.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	30793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9275.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	30794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9262.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	30795  
Old 11-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

I'm thinking you have a wonderful adventure waiting for you. You are trying to do your due diligence and that's fairly rare. Let us know how it scales. Good, safe travels to you and your family.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #32
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm thinking you have a wonderful adventure waiting for you. You are trying to do your due diligence and that's fairly rare. Let us know how it scales. Good, safe travels to you and your family.
Thank you! I'll definitely update once I weigh it.

How much water do people normally tow with when they are heading to their destination?

Majority of our locations will be RV Parks with water and full hookups. There are a few dry camping places about an hour or two away we will do once in a while as well.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #33
Gegrad

That's a nice looking rig; with your truck having 2,030 lbs of payload you will likely be just fine on the weights.

As far as the length goes, I will say I never had a problem with sway with my 1/2 ton chevy towing my Premier that is almost the exact same length as yours. A good WDH hitch with 4 pt sway control will take care of that no problem. Enjoy the travels and make some good memories!

I never haul any water, except when I get into the state parks here, where I fill up inside the park before heading to my site (most state parks here in PA don't have water at each site). Then I always drain what's left of my FW before heading to the dump station.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

I used to carry full tanks when boondocking along with multiple 5 gal water jugs. Later moved to carrying a 500 gal. water buffalo pulled by another vehicle. Gave that up.

We now travel to RV parks exclusively. Used to carry 1/3 tank fresh water for unintended potty breaks but don't any longer; we either go at a gas stop or rest stop. Some go partial tanks and others full; it's a trade off on what you want to do, weight etc.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Enjoy your new adventures. The amount of water folks carry Wil be dependent on use typically. We don't boondock but I typically keep somewhere in the range of 10-12 gal just for flushing toilet and washing hands at stops.

We only go to one cg where the sites have electric only but they have water spigots at the check in area and around the cg. That cg is part of an amusement park (a couple of rides are partially in the cg) in Elysburg, PA called Knoebels Amusement Park so it's a once a year visit. There we fill with water while checking in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #36
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #37
BrooksFam

Good looking set up!
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #38
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum (does that make you happy ewbldavis? ).
Yes - thanks

Glad you got it home. These guys (and I) all mean the best, too. Yes - I bet you knew it was there - nothing at all like towing a boat.

It's good you did your homework and are working to double check it. Even if it all checks out, I will add and agree with the sentiment that if you can upgrade truck in near future to an HD, you will see what towing is supposed to be like.

Beautiful setup. I am a little biased to the GMC

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #39
Yareelohim

Here is a question I have for you all:

Why does the GVWR of my truck read 7,200 lbs but the front and rear GAW read 3,950 or 7,900lbs total?

Why the difference between 7,200 and 7,900?
Old 11-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Here is a question I have for you all:

Why does the GVWR of my truck read 7,200 lbs but the front and rear GAW read 3,950 or 7,900lbs total?

Why the difference between 7,200 and 7,900?

Something they call CYA, safety, protect those that will always break all the rules etc. They give you payload along with all other critical numbers for things that will BREAK when numbers are exceeded. Axles have a max weight rating - they will break; they will separate - something you don't want to be involved in on the road. So....follow the payload and gvwrs and the manufacturer gave you a safety cushion (by following the specified numbers) before you give yourself a "fatal" failure because one disregarded everything else.