Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
markjamestx

Dometic Toilet bowl water level

A little history to start. I replaced the factory plastic toilet with a porcelain Dometic immediately after buying our new Bullet Premier in July 2017. Mama didn't like the factory one that squeaked! Okay, here is my question. Has anyone noticed their toilet consistently getting a higher level of water in the bowl? We have clocked 33 States and about 30k miles in 3 years, but currently on a 7 week roundtrip trip to the west coast and back and I am seeing much more water in the bowl than ever before. Same level, about 1/3rd full. Could this be because of the water pressure in the campgrounds we have been staying in is greater than normal?

Also, read a thread recently about leaks at the base of the toilet. We had that but after tightening the two bowl-to-floor bolts it fixed the problem. They do come loose over time and travel.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:34 AM   #2
notanlines

Mark, I don't quite understand this question or situation: "Has anyone noticed their toilet consistently getting a higher level of water in the bowl? I am seeing much more water in the bowl than ever before. Same level, about 1/3rd full."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:24 AM   #3
cavie

It is not an automatic fill like the one at home. How much water is in the bowl is determined by you. In five years I have not heard of an autofill bowl. No need of a full bowl to pee. Waste of water while boondocking.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

I've noticed my 310 drains a bit more water into the bowl than my old 300, which I like seeing. It may just be the design.
Cavie, good to see you've moved over here from Forest River.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #5
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It is not an automatic fill like the one at home. How much water is in the bowl is determined by you. In five years I have not heard of an autofill bowl. No need of a full bowl to pee. Waste of water while boondocking.
The newer Dometic bowls will add a couple inches of water to secure the seal . I don’t know if there is adjustment on the valve for more water . While Boondocking I try to turn the pump off after every use to save water.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #6
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I've noticed my 310 drains a bit more water into the bowl than my old 300, which I like seeing. It may just be the design.
Cavie, good to see you've moved over here from Forest River.
I had issues with the snow flake admins. Sold the FR 5er. So here I am. I love my opposing BH slides. Makes for an 8' x 14' man cave!
Old 11-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I had issues with the snow flake admins. Sold the FR 5er. So here I am. I love my opposing BH slides. Makes for an 8' x 14' man cave!
Well, welcome aboard!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
markjamestx

I may have fixed the problem. I put a 40 PSI pressure regulator on the hose and it now does not fill up as much as it did without it. I typically use a regulator but in some cases mama wants more pressure when she showers. Thanks to all for your replies.l

Old 11-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
markjamestx

We moved from our Forest River to the Keystone Bullet Premier in July of 2017. Curious how you noticed that

Old 11-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
I may have fixed the problem. I put a 40 PSI pressure regulator on the hose and it now does not fill up as much as it did without it. I typically use a regulator but in some cases mama wants more pressure when she showers. Thanks to all for your replies.l
Look at the "Oxygenics" shower head. You will have a hard time finding many who will say bad things. Most have raving reviews. Best of all, DW will be happy and you won't have to use a higher pressure regulator.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #11
markjamestx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Look at the "Oxygenics" shower head. You will have a hard time finding many who will say bad things. Most have raving reviews. Best of all, DW will be happy and you won't have to use a higher pressure regulator.
We have an Oxygenics and love it. Thanks

Old 11-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Quote:
In the last 10 years or so, (and a few different campers), I have not hooked up to city water and depended upon their pressure. Not knowing the different pressures in different campgrounds is just too risky, and I don't have much faith in pressure regulators either.

My solution, more than 10 years ago, was to always fill the fresh water tank and use the on-board water pump. Oh, it makes a little noise, but it's always consistent, I can tell at each faucet and and the toilet, how much water is flowing (as I've actually timed them for 1 gallon), and I NEVER have to be concerned about unknown water pressures, anywhere we go.

Our toilet is always consistent, our shower water flow is always consistent. It is the way it is. We accept that. It's an RV, not the house.

But, everyone does it different. Nothing wrong with that. But if the water pressure is causing concern, then flip over to your onboard water tank and pump and get a baseline of what the manufacturers determined was appropriate. It's just a suggestion?
Old 11-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
travelin texans

Name:   shopping.jpeg
Views: 1684
Size:  8.2 KB
FYI! This is a "regulator", it will reduce the pressure to it's set point, usually around 55 psi which is a good pressure, it will not increase pressure. Incoming pressure less than set pressure will not be restricted or regulated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	30651.
This is an el cheapo "restrictor", it restricts the flow to lower the pressure. It restricts the flow regardless of the incoming pressure.
I totally agree with the Oxygen ice shower head. Get a good regulator & toss the restrictor.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
If you are using one of those "regulators" that are a straight tube, often plastic, could be brass with a set pressure then throw it away. That's not a true regulator but only a flow restrictor. When connected and no flow the pressure can overcome it.

Get a true regulator. They are more expensive but like anything you get what you pay for. A regulator will have an adjustment screw to set the pressure and will have a pressure gauge. If momma likes showers get the Oxygenetics shower head. Not using a regulator is asking for damage and repair bills.

This is what a real regulator looks like.
Attached Images

flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Sarge2

I purchased one of the simple in line ones at first...then got one of the real regulators with the adjustments... what a difference in overall pressure.. was supposed to be preset at 40psi, it was set at zero... thought it was bad until I hooked it up to my house and got zero pressure... adjusted to 50lbs and last camping trip water pressure as good as or better than with the pump... another thing I learned on this site...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
A little history to start. I replaced the factory plastic toilet with a porcelain Dometic immediately after buying our new Bullet Premier in July 2017. Mama didn't like the factory one that squeaked! Okay, here is my question. Has anyone noticed their toilet consistently getting a higher level of water in the bowl? We have clocked 33 States and about 30k miles in 3 years, but currently on a 7 week roundtrip trip to the west coast and back and I am seeing much more water in the bowl than ever before. Same level, about 1/3rd full. Could this be because of the water pressure in the campgrounds we have been staying in is greater than normal?

Also, read a thread recently about leaks at the base of the toilet. We had that but after tightening the two bowl-to-floor bolts it fixed the problem. They do come loose over time and travel.
A failing fill valve will put more water in the bowl. When it gets worse, it will overflow (ask me how I know). If you had an internal leak that you fixed by tightening the flange bolts then you are putting water into the floor. A proper wax seal will not allow falling water to get past it, sounds like bigger problem. Good luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
A failing fill valve will put more water in the bowl. When it gets worse, it will overflow (ask me how I know). If you had an internal leak that you fixed by tightening the flange bolts then you are putting water into the floor. A proper wax seal will not allow falling water to get past it, sounds like bigger problem. Good luck.
In the 6-7 rvs I've owned none had the wax ring under the toilet, but rather a foam rubber gasket.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In the 6-7 rvs I've owned none had the wax ring under the toilet, but rather a foam rubber gasket.
My bad, yes they are foam. They accomplish the same thing as the wax.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #19
CelticWind

We replaced our Dometic 300 after it began leaking at the joint where the top and bottom meet. Started noticing our water level in the bowl getting higher over time. Contacted Dometic and they sent a new fill valve, apparently they had a bad batch. It has been working perfectly since.
CelticWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #20
markjamestx

A Few more comments about the Dometic toilet and regulators

A few comments to the replies of my post. First, I have owned two of the "True Regulators" as mentioned. They are great, and adjustable but the only problem was both stopped working after a year with much use. Read another post on them and the same problem with others. Now for the Dometic toilet, I have owned three in two different campers and none of them have a wax ring. Totally different hook up in an RV unless you have a Vacuflush type toilet. And BTW, I have replaced numerous toilets in houses over the last 50+ years.

Like I posted earlier, the problem is fixed. Toilet bowl water level is not increasing with a 40 PSI straightline restricter/regulator or on the pump from the fresh water tank. My belief was when hooking straight up to the city water, it was too much pressure.

Tags
dometic, toilet, water