Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
It is curious to me why trailer tires blow out much more often than car tires. I have been pulling boat trailer, utility trailers for over 40 years and never had a blow out. In fact, I have never had a flat or blow out on any vehicle while driving in 50 years.

This is my first TT though, and am now very nervous due to all the blow out threads and stories. I am very meticulous when it comes to maintaining tires and maybe this helps with no blow outs.
IMHO, the biggest issue with tires on most travel trailers/fifth wheels is that they are "fitted by the manufacturer to the application" and are being operated at very close to the maximum weight limit for the tire.

When you add the "previously mandated speed limit" which was, until just the past couple of years, limited to 65MPH, then you're "ripe for problems"...

Install tires rated for 2380 pounds on an axle rated for 4600 pounds, on a trailer with a GVW of 10,000 pounds (with 1000 pounds on the tongue) and you're "operating on a razor edge under maximum tire capacity"....

Then, tow those 65MPH tires at 75MPH while they are 5-10 pounds "underinflated" (because the trailer rides smoother with less air in the tires) and all the factors work together to assure a tire problem....

In recent years, RVIA "mandated" manufacturers to install tires on trailers with at least a 10% excess capacity. That's only been the last 2 or 3 years. Tire manufacturers, in that same 2-3 year time frame, have improved manufacturing processes, came out with "improved speed ratings" and "improved tire construction with stronger sidewalls, new tread designs, stronger polyester cords, all steel construction and the claim of "stronger, more reliable tires"....

Again, IMHO, if the tires were "reliable in the past, why the need to "improve all the reliability factors ???? Seems to me (on my soapbox) that for way too many years, the cheapest tires, barely adequate for the job were being installed on nearly every trailer coming out of an RV manufacturer's assembly line.

Things are changing, but that doesn't make all the tires on all the trailers sitting on any dealership lot, suddenly "more than adequate"....

Do your own weights, check manufacturer's dates, inspect tires for any damage and realize that by the time you buy a trailer, it's already been towed from Goshen to the dealership with tires in a completely "unknown condition, no idea of road hazard/curb issues, tire pressure status or speed. I see trailers on I-75 that are obviously "being delivered from Indiana to Michigan". Many of those trailers "blow past me at 80+ MPH behind trucks with magnetic signs on the doors" (obviously commercial delivery trucks)...

So, even when you hitch up for the first time, you may well be towing home a brand new trailer with tires that have been damaged, abused or mis-used... In other words, "you may be towing on ticking time bombs" and not even know it......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #62
Steve01

Quote:
It is curious to me why trailer tires blow out much more often than car tires. I have been pulling boat trailer, utility trailers for over 40 years and never had a blow out. In fact, I have never had a flat or blow out on any vehicle while driving in 50 years.

This is my first TT though, and am now very nervous due to all the blow out threads and stories. I am very meticulous when it comes to maintaining tires and maybe this helps with no blow outs.
I am very aware of my tires, also. I check tire pressure and condition during and before each trip. During these checks while on trips with the tires being less than a year old is when two of these tires had bubbles. The manufacturer replaced one with a supposedly upgraded tire. That is the one that blew. All have been replaced with Goodyear Endurances now and I am installing a TPMS. I am glad that you have never had a flat, let alone a blow out and hope you never do. Safe travels...
Steve01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #63
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve01 View Post
I am very aware of my tires, also. I check tire pressure and condition during and before each trip. During these checks while on trips with the tires being less than a year old is when two of these tires had bubbles. The manufacturer replaced one with a supposedly upgraded tire. That is the one that blew. All have been replaced with Goodyear Endurances now and I am installing a TPMS. I am glad that you have never had a flat, let alone a blow out and hope you never do. Safe travels...
I am now highly considering changing the tires soon. I bought this TT new in August and its only been towed from the dealer to its current location, about 65 miles. If I had a blow out on the road, I would pay a lot at the time to have not had a blow out. So, pay now, not later is my philosophy. Does that make sense??
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #64
flybouy
Site Team

I agree with John's statement about the "unknown condition" at delivery. When boat trailers and utility trailers are delivered they typically arrive strapped onto on a flatbed trailer. The dealer takes delivery, checks them over, then places them out for sale. But I think that's part of the story.

My following comments are just my theories as no one has any data to look at. You get a blowout on your camper your not at home. The event disrupts your trip. You replace the tire and move on. No one investigates the why. Most folks aren't going to spend the money to ship it back to the manufacturer. I doubt very many even realize there's a warranty.

Back to why the greater frequency I think a lot has to do with the miles driven and the speed and how they are driven. Again, just my observations.

Campers have a very high center of gravity yet I see them being driven at very high speeds and driven hard around curves/turns. I live about a mile and a half from a marina and state park with a boat ramp next door, I don't see boats on trailers driven this way.

Campers are often driven hundreds of miles at high speeds then at their destination are maneuvered around tight turns with tremendous stresses applied to the sidewalls as they are being "parked". I've seen new campers (and assuming new to towing owners) setting at campgrounds and in storage lots with the tires askew like a road grader. Some new to towing don't realize that after a very tight maneuver you need to pull up then back straight to allow the tires tread and sidewall to "settle" straight with the rim.

Boats and utility trailers are typically driven shorter distances, less miles per year. They aren't as subjected to the very acute angles of a camper. Boat ramps are straight. The parking lots at boat ramps are typically large with straight parking spaces. Unlike boat and utility trailers campers are subjected to several hundred pounds of people moving, walking, stomping about.

These factors to me separate the boat utility trailer from the camping trailer to the point of not being comparable. And while I've seen them on the side of the road with bearing failure I can't think of ever seeing, or hearing about a boat or utility trailer having a bent axle, bent spindal, or broken spring.

Just my thoughts, sorry for the long post.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #65
mjsibe

Tires

The basic problem is the quality of the tires.
Cheap barely meeting the specs.
Like you have towed various things boats cargo ect.
Never had an issue.
But my TT BLEW A CHINA BOMB. Approximately 8k miles on it. 4 years old.
Lucky it was minimal damage, a aluminum fender brace.
Just get quality tires Goodyear ENDURANCE or Carlisle top of the line. USA made.
Top reviews from all over.
Happy camping
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #66
Northofu1

Quote:
I am now highly considering changing the tires soon. I bought this TT new in August and its only been towed from the dealer to its current location, about 65 miles. If I had a blow out on the road, I would pay a lot at the time to have not had a blow out. So, pay now, not later is my philosophy. Does that make sense??
Makes total sense and peace of mind.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #67
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Makes total sense and piece of mind.
Yes, I'd rather pay before a trip rather than in the middle of a trip "after" a blow out.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #68
Ken / Claudia

Put on a state police badge, drive daily on freeways, than tell me RV tires blew out/ get flats more than others. All tires all can fail.
Passenger cars are the most type of vehicle standing on the side of the road with a flat. Why? you ask because there also the highest numbers of vehicles on the road.
I may be on the other extreme of about 50 years of driving a vehicle. Many flats, some leakers and some blow outs. Fleet vehicles were the most problems, cars, pickups, boat trailers. I was lucky to get by a single year without a flat and about 5 blow outs in 30 years. Private vehicles 1 pickup blow up from rubber valve stem failure, unknown how many flats in my vehicles, guessing numbers in the 10-15 range.
All from road debris.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #69
azchoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins44 View Post
had my first blowout the other night returning home. Trailer King ST205/75R14. Unfortunately, It did some minor damage that my extended warranty will not cover. Cosmetic damage only. Pics attached. Few questions:

- Is that repair something i could do on my own?
- I'll be replacing all 5 tires, any recommendations? 27' dual axle 5600 dry weight +500 with "stuff"
I carry comp on my camper because my tow vehicle's comp doesn't cover my camper. It's collision coverage does cover collision damage to my camper.
I had a nasty blowout that did a lot of damage and my camper's comp coverage took care of it.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage