Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
UNISOL

Heater not working

Good morning, woke up in 20 degree weather with no heat. Usually use electric at night, but like to turn RV heater on first thing in the morning. Here are the specifics:

1. Both tanks are almost full.
2. There is air flow through the vents.
3. The furnace is making the sounds, as if it were attempting to light but not getting the fuel needed.

I am of the mind it could have something to do with the regulator attached to the pigtails outside, but will have to wait until this afternoon to check. Maybe it is dirty. I was able to cook and use the heater as of last night, but this morning the heater would not work. I did not check the stove. 2013 Keystone Raptor Toy Hauler. Thank you for any help / guidance, gonna be freezing here over the next few days.
UNISOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Do the water heater and stovetop light properly? If so, you may have a furnace problem. If they don't light either, it's a propane issue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
UNISOL

Hot water was working, but did not get the chance to check the stove this morning. Like I said earlier though; the furnace is making the normal noises it would if it were trying to ignite, but acts as if it is not getting sufficient fuel. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You will need to verify that you have propane flow to the stove and it works properly. Your water heater would give you hot water if it's running on AC.

If it's making the normal noises but won't ignite it sounds like 1) lack of fuel, 2) bad board or 3) something is dirty. Did you move or change the regulator (tank)?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
UNISOL

First off; on 50 years of marriage, that is truly awesome! Secondly, I am tracking all of what you said, save the bad board portion. I checked the fuses and they were good, are you referring to the circuit board??
Old 12-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISOL View Post
First off; on 50 years of marriage, that is truly awesome! Secondly, I am tracking all of what you said, save the bad board portion. I checked the fuses and they were good, are you referring to the circuit board??

Thank you. Yes, I was referring to the circuit board. Mine acted similarly once upon a time but it did ignite for a second, then shut off. Had to replace the board. Yours really sounds like a propane issue but if everything else works it's either the board or the burner/ignition system seems to me. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Propane turns to a gas at very low temperatures but it slows down significantly at temperatures below about 20F. The less propane in the tank, the less liquid that will turn into gas and flow to the regulator. Next is the regulator, probably the most "sensitive" part of the system. Any water vapor in the regulator can cause it to stop flowing propane in the gas form. So, if the regulator gets "iced up" (something that happens in high humidity on cold nights) it may stop the flow of propane in the line to your appliances. That's why we're asking if the stove/water heater were operating normally. The water heater, as sourdough said, can be operated on electricity or propane (or both) and the tank will stay hot for several hours after propane stops flowing, so having hot water to wash your hands may not be an indication of anything not working properly on the propane side of the water heater. That's why I asked if the stove was operational.

Keep in mind that when you get back to the trailer this afternoon, if the sun has warmed the regulator, you may find that everything operates normally and will continue to do so, until the temperature falls again. The next time (hopefully it won't happen) but.... the next time the furnace stops working, try to determine if you have propane flow to the stove burners. If you do, then you have a furnace problem, probably the circuit board, but, on the other hand, if you can't light a stovetop burner, it's probably a problem with the propane flow, possibly the regulator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Good information from others, only thing I would add is when you check that stove I would turn on all burners at once to simulate the flow required by the furnace. Good Luck
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Same basic in in our 2018 Montana High Country 310re. Ours would start-stop-start-stop and if it blew any air, it was cold. Found we had to turn the thermostat off “auto” (for the heat pump). Had heat, but still intermittent. Technician found Keystone used a “self healing fuze” (15 amp, dark blue color) on the furnace (slot #6 on our panel). Never heard of one before. Turns out they can reset themselves like a circuit breaker. He pulled it out and replaced with a standard 15 amp. Had heat OK, but we still have an electrical issue. Nudge your fuze to see if you get a spark....you shouldn’t, but might. We do. Bad connection in the converter panel. Regulators can fail or wear out, but are so simple it’s not likely an issue. Only had to replace one once in our 1964 Fireball vintage camper, for example. That was old! Make sure you “point” the switchover knob/arm to the tank you want to use. You can leave it in the middle position, but won’t know your level is out until the furnace won’t light. Furnaces take a lot more gas than a stove even with all burners going. But turning them on helps prove the gas is flowing after tank switches for refills. There will also be air in the line, so make sure you run the burners long enough to bleed the system. Good luick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
rhagfo

We had a similar issue stove worked fine, knew furnace was good as I had it bench tested just before as it had a strange flame noise at times. Didn’t check WH as run on both electric and gas. Replaced the regulator and all is great.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
ChuckS

Suburban furnace.. I assume..

After three attempts it will go into lockout mode. To clear the lockout turn the thermostat completely OFF and wait a minute.

Now try the furnace again.. blower should come on, listen outside and see if you hear the electronic spark firing..

If you do then this tells you the Sail switch is functioning correctly but the gas valve is not opening..

In this case then you either have a propane supply issue, defective propane control valve on the furnace, or defective module board.

Unfortunately Suburban modules don’t have the diagnostic LEDs to aid in your troubleshooting.
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
ChuckS

Lookin at age of post guess the fella got the furnace to light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Lookin at age of post guess the fella got the furnace to light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. The OP posted his initial question and the two followups on 12/28/17 and signed off immediately after the final post (his only three posts on this forum). He has not signed onto the forum since then, so chances are he found the answer and "moved on"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-21-2020, 11:45 PM   #14
jalad12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old soldier View Post
Same basic in in our 2018 Montana High Country 310re. Ours would start-stop-start-stop and if it blew any air, it was cold. Found we had to turn the thermostat off “auto” (for the heat pump). Had heat, but still intermittent. Technician found Keystone used a “self healing fuze” (15 amp, dark blue color) on the furnace (slot #6 on our panel). Never heard of one before. Turns out they can reset themselves like a circuit breaker. He pulled it out and replaced with a standard 15 amp. Had heat OK, but we still have an electrical issue. Nudge your fuze to see if you get a spark....you shouldn’t, but might. We do. Bad connection in the converter panel. Regulators can fail or wear out, but are so simple it’s not likely an issue. Only had to replace one once in our 1964 Fireball vintage camper, for example. That was old! Make sure you “point” the switchover knob/arm to the tank you want to use. You can leave it in the middle position, but won’t know your level is out until the furnace won’t light. Furnaces take a lot more gas than a stove even with all burners going. But turning them on helps prove the gas is flowing after tank switches for refills. There will also be air in the line, so make sure you run the burners long enough to bleed the system. Good luick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am going through the very same issue now. The heater worked for an evening and cycled several times. I woke up and the temperature was well below the set temperature. I had propane and the stove worked. I checked the breakers and nothing was tripped. I then checked the fuses and saw a 15 amp black box-type fuse in the furnace slot (slot6). I pulled it and saw that I couldn’t see the filament. When I plugged the fuse back in it was a tight fit ( maybe it was my fat fingers!) and there was a spark when I tried to push the fuse back in. The furnace immediately fired up and blew hot air. After it reached temperature and turned off, about 15 minutes later the temp dropped and the furnace kicked back on. This time there was no heat and it was blowing cold air. It stopped on its own and didn’t fire up again. Should I replace the fuse with a standard 15 amp fuse?
jalad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:36 AM   #15
Mmeyer

I had the same problem. I replace that black fuse with a standard and its been working perfectly now for 1 year, My dealer said it is a common problem, The black wider fuse has relay built into it and that is the problem I was told. Hope this helps
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
jalad12

Thanks! I’ll give it a try once I’m done drinking my Bloody Mary!! �� (Hey, I’m camping and it’s Sunday!). I’ll send a follow up later!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #17
jalad12

I tried the furnace with the black fuse and the blower came on but the furnace did not ignite. I replaced the black fuse with a standard 15 amp fuse and had the same result. Blower was blowing cold air. Propane was sufficient and the stove ignited. My 2019 Cougar (Res 27) is still under warranty. Unless someone has a quick and easy fix I’ll have to bring it in to the dealer. We have plans to camp in the Phoenix area at Christmas so I hope it will be fixed by then. My last warranty repair with the dealer took an exceptionally long time.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #18
jalad12

My dealer is booked through the holidays. I have an appointment the first part of January. The furnace problem is nothing a couple of space heaters can’t solve (with proper ventilation, of course)! Thanks to all for your input and advice! Enjoy the holidays and happy camping!
Old 12-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
mm01moose

Keystone Raptor 356 Heater Issues

I own a 2020 Keystone Raptor 356. Trying to troubleshoot, as to why my propane heater will turn on but will not ignite and then will click off. The propane tanks are full and stove works. I pulled outside cover and hit reset switch and it started and reached temp and when it turned on again it would not ignite. Checked black 15 amp fuse and then switched it to a blue 15 amp fuse. It ignited and then it reached temp and turned off but it would not ignite back up when heat turned it on. Do I need to check sail switch? Any advice as what could be wrong? I just had the year warranty work done and dealer stated everything worked correctly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
mm01moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #20
jalad12

From what I’ve read, it’s either the fuse, the sail switch, the temperature sensor, the circuit board or the LP solenoid. I pulled my furnace and am sitting in front of it right now. The reset switch was not tripped. The sail switch was clean and not bound up in any way. I can see the circuit board, and the red light, but I need to apply power to the unit to see if the red light turns on. If it doesn’t, I think it’s an indication that I need a new board. I’ll give an update when I do that.

Tags
heat, heater