Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #21
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
I tend to use the belt and suspenders route. I use a stud finder to locate the studs. I mount a finish board to span the studs and then attach whatever needs attaching. The various devices mentioned previously are only as strong as the wall surface material. Might be strong enough, might not.
I have to agree... I've not hung anything all that heavy yet in mine other than a 24" TV in the bedroom and I found the "mounting" area that seemed to have a backer already in the wall... so it was easy peasy to mount. The tv was so light anyway, I'm not sure I didn't do a bit of overkill with the install.. but as you said, "Might be strong enough or maybe not"... I like it a for sure strong enough...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #22
B&T_NF-NY

I've used a secondary 1/4" (or thicker) board or laminate as a backing plate secured to the existing wall with Velcro then secure the item needing mounting to the plate. No worry's about over penetration. No need for locating any studs either. Piticurarlily good in the bathroom. JMHO.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #23
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Standard 3” stainless steel screws to mount the TV...
Rock solid!...
Ha...Sadly I did this in our travel trailer. Bolt for TV bracket was "just" long enough. I put one in and stopped, looked, held up to door jamb.

Fortunately, it "poked" just enough to pierce siding. I took it out, pounded a dimple in siding and siliconed. Hardly noticable, but quite embarrassing!!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Ha...Sadly I did this in our travel trailer. Bolt for TV bracket was "just" long enough. I put one in and stopped, looked, held up to door jamb.

Fortunately, it "poked" just enough to pierce siding. I took it out, pounded a dimple in siding and siliconed. Hardly noticable, but quite embarrassing!!
I've seen a couple of "porcupine trailers" from owners who used what was on the workbench to hang stuff on trailer walls..... About the only thing I've come up with to "fix it" (really just to hide their damage) is to smooth the FILON, seal the holes and depending on the size/quantity of holes, cover with a decal or maybe a "USA state map" type decoration or install a "aluminum grill" to make it look like there's "a something behind the grill"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote