Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
flybouy
Site Team

Deleware Rant

I apologize to anyone from the state but good golly who builds the roads? Headed to beautiful Delaware Seashore State Park today. As soon as I crossed the state line it felt like I was riding in a Rodeo. It’s a flat state so why can’t they build a flat roadway? I realize it’s a sand dune but really, other states can do it.

Second rant ... bridge transitions. I think the guy that builds the road to bridge transition built ski jumps before signing on. He probably got fired for building the ski jumps too steep. Maybe he worked for Evil Keneivel building his jump ramps.

Sorry, but I feel better now but my neck is still hurting. I’ll take another pain pill and crank up the cervical spinal chord stimulator. By morning the blurry vision from my eyeballs bouncing like the ping pong balls in the lotto machine should clear.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I feel for you. I've told DW every time we pass through LA (state - every time) that it seems that they thought you were going for a ski jump every time you come to any little bridge over a stream or crossing. I learned my lesson first go through at 65 mph and the front tires left the ground. Don't know why they did it but I tell DW that whoever built that should be drawn and quartered every time an innocent soul passes over those atrocities.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
notanlines

I'll pile on a little also. Ever notice when the repair people set up with the big concrete saws and cut out and patch about 150 bad joints on 2 miles of highway it is NEVER smoother when finished? Yes, Birmingham, Alabama, I'm talking about Y0U!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:13 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

DW has a lifelong friend who’s father was a highway engineer for the state (MD). When I first met him I asked why it was, every time they built or repaved a road that within 6 months someone would come along and tear it up. The patchwork was never smooth. He said those were county not state roads.

I still laugh when I think about that.

Now it’s my home state turn. Two major road complaints (trust me there are many) but the “top two”.
1. Left lane exit/on ramps. Folks either slow down to a crawl before getting on the exit ramp or pull into the passing lane before getting up to speed. And of course when the exit ramp looms directly ahead you have the apparently illiterate guy who didn’t read the sign and is 4 lanes over and hits the brakes and dives for it.

2. Asphalt roads and stop lights with heavy truck traffic. Near me there’s a stop light at the bottom of a steep hill. At 55, you pop over the hill and there it is about 600 feet away. They put in the flashing “red light ahead” lights at the top of the hill but most people read that as “better pick up speed to beat the light”. So it’s August, hotter than ants under a kids magnifying glass, the blacktop is soft. The 80k truck comes barreling down on a red light. They stand on the brakes and the hot asphalt starters rolling up like breakers on the beach.

That situation was present until about 40 years ago when the state came, dug up that asphalt for about 100’ and poured concrete. Problem solved! Unfortunately they took this as a permanent fix and haven’t been back. Now that concrete looks like the road out of Kuwait at the end of the Gulf War “turkey shoot”. But the good news is they apparently saved the removed blacktop and are “repurposing it” to fill in the pot holes in the concrete.

I guess the “ can’t fix stupid” holds true for the bureaucrats that run the state.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:23 AM   #5
LewisB

The Arizona state flower is the orange traffic cone! Arizona is renowned for having a 50 mile stretch of freeway designated as a "construction zone" with a 45 mph speed limit (down from 75). You can drive through this for several weeks and NEVER see a construction worker - but there is almost ALWAYS a radar cop. So it is like state sanctioned speed traps...it would be a lot cheaper if they just stopped every out-of-state car at the border and just charged a $200 entry fee.

Just sayin'....
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
dutchmensport

You can't drive anywhere in the state of Indiana from point A to point B with out hitting road construction and being detoured, and even the detours are detoured. I guess this year, they decided (early in the year), that with the Covid thing going on, and originally, no one was driving anywhere, it was a great time to fix roads. Unfortunately, they decided to fix them all at once. And they sure have been slow doing it too!

Meanwhile, traffic opened up and face it, in Indiana, you just can't get "there" if you need or want to.

Unfortunately .... it will be 2 weeks after they completely finish a road and have it baby-butt smooth, they'll start digging it up again and then in a short while, the whole thing is horrible again.

I live on a back county road. it's cip-n-seal. And it's smoother than any Indiana interstate, has been for years and years now.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
gearhead

Yep Birmingham AL, We're talking you, and Orange Texas I 10, and I 49 north of Alexandria LA, and &&&, and .....
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

Add I840, (Nashville bypass), bridge joints jar your teeth loose. I30 in Arkansas about 20 to 30 miles outside of Little Rock can make you sea sick.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:52 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
DW has a lifelong friend who’s father was a highway engineer for the state (MD). When I first met him I asked why it was, every time they built or repaved a road that within 6 months someone would come along and tear it up. The patchwork was never smooth. He said those were county not state roads.

I still laugh when I think about that.

Now it’s my home state turn. Two major road complaints (trust me there are many) but the “top two”.
1. Left lane exit/on ramps. Folks either slow down to a crawl before getting on the exit ramp or pull into the passing lane before getting up to speed. And of course when the exit ramp looms directly ahead you have the apparently illiterate guy who didn’t read the sign and is 4 lanes over and hits the brakes and dives for it.

2. Asphalt roads and stop lights with heavy truck traffic. Near me there’s a stop light at the bottom of a steep hill. At 55, you pop over the hill and there it is about 600 feet away. They put in the flashing “red light ahead” lights at the top of the hill but most people read that as “better pick up speed to beat the light”. So it’s August, hotter than ants under a kids magnifying glass, the blacktop is soft. The 80k truck comes barreling down on a red light. They stand on the brakes and the hot asphalt starters rolling up like breakers on the beach.

That situation was present until about 40 years ago when the state came, dug up that asphalt for about 100’ and poured concrete. Problem solved! Unfortunately they took this as a permanent fix and haven’t been back. Now that concrete looks like the road out of Kuwait at the end of the Gulf War “turkey shoot”. But the good news is they apparently saved the removed blacktop and are “repurposing it” to fill in the pot holes in the concrete.

I guess the “ can’t fix stupid” holds true for the bureaucrats that run the state.

Let me guess.....RT 40 and Joppa Farm Road?....I was on it the other day what a mess
Also in MD they work on all the roads at once. Even if it’s just cones and one work truck parked on the shoulder.
My thinking is the general contractor doesn’t want to lose the contract so he has someone “working” on the section of road every day..
I met a guy building decks in a townhouse community that said he would start a bunch of decks all at one time and deliver material.
Then he would just take his time and do one at a time because he felt like the people were backed into a corner and would be too much trouble for them to find someone else.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Let me guess.....RT 40 and Joppa Farm Road?....I was on it the other day what a mess
Also in MD they work on all the roads at once. Even if it’s just cones and one work truck parked on the shoulder.
My thinking is the general contractor doesn’t want to lose the contract so he has someone “working” on the section of road every day..
I met a guy building decks in a townhouse community that said he would start a bunch of decks all at one time and deliver material.
Then he would just take his time and do one at a time because he felt like the people were backed into a corner and would be too much trouble for them to find someone else.
Yup, that's it. On the eastbound side there's several potholes that the state throws blacktop on every couple of years. They never look for the cause so it it can be fixed properly. If you start up that hill when you hit the pot holes look to your right and you'll see a fire hydrant up on the bank. That thing leaked for over 20 years undermining the road.

I know I called the state and county at least a dozen times to report it over the years. And yet, if I use a few extra gallons of water the county sends me a letter warning me of my "excess water usage" and to check my toilets for a leaking flapper. Just got to love the government bureaucracy and idiocracy. They finally fixed the hydrant a couple of years ago but that didn't fix the road properly.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:05 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Yup, that's it. On the eastbound side there's several potholes that the state throws blacktop on every couple of years. They never look for the cause so it it can be fixed properly. If you start up that hill when you hit the pot holes look to your right and you'll see a fire hydrant up on the bank. That thing leaked for over 20 years undermining the road.

I know I called the state and county at least a dozen times to report it over the years. And yet, if I use a few extra gallons of water the county sends me a letter warning me of my "excess water usage" and to check my toilets for a leaking flapper. Just got to love the government bureaucracy and idiocracy. They finally fixed the hydrant a couple of years ago but that didn't fix the road properly.
The army could use that stretch of road for a proving ground..test the fire control stability on M1A1’s..lol
Old 12-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
The army could use that stretch of road for a proving ground..test the fire control stability on M1A1’s..lol
LOL, yup, every time I drive that west bound I look overhead expecting "incoming". If your stopped in the turn lane and one of the dump trucks go barreling over that area it sounds like mortar rounds impacting.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
LOL, yup, every time I drive that west bound I look overhead expecting "incoming". If your stopped in the turn lane and one of the dump trucks go barreling over that area it sounds like mortar rounds impacting.
Lol that is funny!
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

You Turtlepins have obviously never driven across Loooooosyana on IH10 or IH20. That would put your road situation in perspective. OK, a serious question. Why can US interstates in one state be fine and when you cross the state border they are HORRIBLE (see Louisiana IH10/IH20)? Does the Fed provide road maintenance?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:54 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You Turtlepins have obviously never driven across Loooooosyana on IH10 or IH20. That would put your road situation in perspective. OK, a serious question. Why can US interstates in one state be fine and when you cross the state border they are HORRIBLE (see Louisiana IH10/IH20)? Does the Fed provide road maintenance?
Yup good point. I guess it’s because some states dip into the transportation funds for “special” projects.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

My understanding is that the interstate highway system funding is supplemented by the Feds but it's the state that decides where that money gets spent. Many things work this way, schools, airports, harbours, intercoastal waterway,railroads, etc. They mandate certain things to receive the money like using minority contractors, following federal DOT regs, ect.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #17
roadglide

Here in NM the base corse Foundation is clay the roads crack next repair is to come along with a paint truck spraying black paint on the roads that may or may not get striped next a construction sign is placed thanking governor Lujan.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

What he said, a few years ago I read the amounts of DOT collected funds and where they go. Many years ago it was to the roads/tunnels/bridges. In Oregon
now only 40% gets to what the tax was designed for. Even when they go to the roads there must be xx percent set aside for beautification. Art work/grass and trees. In Oregon they clear out some of that stuff they just installed so homeless cannot hide. Another area, Portland. ODOT spend. 2.5 million installing rock where it was once beautiful next the highways. They were spending over 1 million a year clearing out garage and homeless camps. As soon as they cleared it, replanted the area it became a tent city again. All the poop and needles left cost Haze mat type clean up and disposal. That's were some of the gas tax money goes.
Forgot to mention, camping, living on state highway property is illegal. Making the homeless move all the time was causing them stress. (yes this is no joke) So, Portland created a law. The homeless must get a 30 day notice before being forced to leave state lands. DOT must keep all the personal stuff they remove and store it so they homeless can come and get it back. Just an example of why the roads do not get maintained as they should.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
My understanding is that the interstate highway system funding is supplemented by the Feds but it's the state that decides where that money gets spent. Many things work this way, schools, airports, harbours, intercoastal waterway,railroads, etc. They mandate certain things to receive the money like using minority contractors, following federal DOT regs, ect.
In MD They use it to balance the budget after funding a long list of special interest projects and programs. I think they are trying to change that but then they will probably just borrow from the state pension system. Somewhere is a big box of iou’s
Old 12-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Also everyone will agree that a 2 million dollar grant for a 10year study on the mating habits of the spotted hairy lipped albino butterfly is a worthwhile allocation of funds