Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
JBWardFamily

New to us 5th Wheel and Inverter/Solar Question

Hi all. We just picked up a 2022 Cougar 290RLI and it came with a second solar panel with controller and Xantrex Freedom X 2000 watt inverter. I've never worked with inverters before so I'm not familiar with how they are hooked up. Ours has a cutoff switch to the batteries so they do not drain or get used until we want them to (as explained by the tech). However, ours has a fan that is always on even when connected to shore power. Is that something we'll just have to live with or is there a way to cut power to the inverter without cutting power to the whole rig?
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:29 PM   #2
JBWardFamily

Update: When I connect the inverter to the batteries while plugged into shore power, the fan cycles on and off instead of staying on. Must be a default setting to keep it cool or something when not connected. Who knows.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:40 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Just to confirm, the fan noise is from the inverter in the front storage compartment, not the converter in the power center inside the main living area correct?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:11 AM   #4
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Just to confirm, the fan noise is from the inverter in the front storage compartment, not the converter in the power center inside the main living area correct?
Yes. It’s the Xantrex Freedom X2000 Inverter in the pass through storage.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:48 AM   #5
mikec557

I had a Xantrex 1000 and I don't recall it's fan coming on except when it was inverting 12vdc to 120vac. And it only does that when disconnected from shore power, and the unit is on, and you're drawing 120vac from it.

The automatic "pass through" of shore power does not cause it to heat up and turn on the fan. And the unit does that even in the off condition.

I think I recall it coming on when I would turn on the xantrex (button on the inverter, or remote faceplate if installed), but only while it cycles on. If nothing inside the camper was drawing power the fan turned back off.

1. Exactly what do you mean when you say you "connect it to the batteries?" It should always be "connected."

2. The inverter should always be turned off, by the power button on it, unless you need it to invert. Even on idle standby it will drain your batteries.

3. Out of curiosity, do you have a 120vac compressor fridge?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:09 AM   #6
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I had a Xantrex 1000 and I don't recall it's fan coming on except when it was inverting 12vdc to 120vac. And it only does that when disconnected from shore power, and the unit is on, and you're drawing 120vac from it.

The automatic "pass through" of shore power does not cause it to heat up and turn on the fan. And the unit does that even in the off condition.

I think I recall it coming on when I would turn on the xantrex (button on the inverter, or remote faceplate if installed), but only while it cycles on. If nothing inside the camper was drawing power the fan turned back off.

1. Exactly what do you mean when you say you "connect it to the batteries?" It should always be "connected."

2. The inverter should always be turned off, by the power button on it, unless you need it to invert. Even on idle standby it will drain your batteries.

3. Out of curiosity, do you have a 120vac compressor fridge?
Hi, yes we have the 12v fridge. The original owner installed a battery cutoff switch for storing it and it was set to off when we purchased it. Didn’t know which it should stay in but after a bit of research it makes sense to leave it on until we need to store it long term. We are keeping the button off until needing to use it. Still not sure what part it plays while connected to shore power.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:14 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWardFamily View Post
Hi all. We just picked up a 2022 Cougar 290RLI and it came with a second solar panel with controller and Xantrex Freedom X 2000 watt inverter. I've never worked with inverters before so I'm not familiar with how they are hooked up. Ours has a cutoff switch to the batteries so they do not drain or get used until we want them to (as explained by the tech). However, ours has a fan that is always on even when connected to shore power. Is that something we'll just have to live with or is there a way to cut power to the inverter without cutting power to the whole rig?
To be clear, was this trailer "previously owned" ???

If it was previously owned, did Keystone build it with the SolarFlex 200 or the SolarFlex 400 system?

Your statement in red above, is not clear as to whether the previous owner might have upgraded a SolarFlex 200 by adding a second roof panel and the inverter or whether the second panel/inverter are "factory installed as part of the SolarFlex 400 system.

Why does that matter? If the factory installed the system, it should be wired to perform like other member's SolarFlex 400 system. If it was "altered by a previous owner" or if it was "modified by a previous owner who upgraded by adding extra components, then that previous owner may have also altered the wiring and/or the way your inverter fan performs.

So, understanding what you have (OEM SolarFlex 400 or modified SolarFlex 200) is an important "unknown" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:00 PM   #8
rlh1957

The inverter fans run to keep components cool. Some are temperature sensor activated and some just run when the inverter is turned on.
Cheaper inverters get hot quicker with slight load while other more stout units aren’t as quick to get hot. My Victron MultiPlus II doesn't run all the time and the fan only kicks in under big load and also more in summer.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, inverter, solar