Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
game warden

Lift bracket bending

Has anyone ever seen the lift bracket bending on a dual cam set up? what i discovered is the right bracket only keeps bending and wanting to pull off the frame even with this bolted to the frame.I thought it had to do with too much psi on the bracket so i have added links so there was not so much psi on it.I am really confused only one side keeps doing this and no ideas now any help or ideas would be appricated.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
hankaye

game warden, Howdy;

What bracket are you talking about ???
Which model and year....

I read your post 3 times and i still feel like I
walked into the middle of a conversation ...
but only you were there

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by game warden View Post
Has anyone ever seen the lift bracket bending on a dual cam set up? what i discovered is the right bracket only keeps bending and wanting to pull off the frame even with this bolted to the frame.I thought it had to do with too much psi on the bracket so i have added links so there was not so much psi on it.I am really confused only one side keeps doing this and no ideas now any help or ideas would be appricated.
there are a couple of causes of this problem.

First, what bars are you using?? The 1500 and 1700lb trunnion bars come with the HD bracket, the others don't. IMHO the 1200lb bars should also have the HD bracket and from what I've heard, new 1200 and maybe even the 1000lb bars will have the HD bracket.

next, by far the most likely reason for the bars bending is that there is insufficient clearance between the cam arm and the bar. My guess is that from your description that is possibly the problem. While it may look like you have enough clearance, when the bar rides up on the cam in a turn it reduces clearance between the bar and cam arm. If it makes contact there is tremedous off axis force applied to the snap up bracket and it can easily bend down. To check, with the system set up do a slow sharp turn with someone watching and check clearance. If that is ok, then do a sharp backup and check clearance. if either is close or contacts, the solution is to increase the tilt on the head to drop the bars down. Even with clearance on level ground, and off camber up or down turn can result in interference, so make sure you have adequate clearance when level. the clearance issue is worst with the early dual cam with the flat chain bracket on the cam arm, much better with the new style with an angled chain bracket. Also, a top mount hitch on a 6" frame is more likely to have clearance issues than a bottom mount hitch. And the round bar is more likely to give interference than a trunnion hitch. With the top mount hitch on the trailer frame many folks, including myself use a 1" riser ball to gain clearance.

Another cause of the bending is with the new style the chain bracket MUST have the bend towards the frame, not away from it. If it bends outward, it is now applying an off axis outward force to the bracket rather than a vertical force and it can easily bend the snap up bracket. This isn't a problem with the old style since the chain bracket plate is flat.

And finally, once a bracket bends, it's toast. even if you straighten it out, it will easily bend at the same location again.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
game warden

Thanks for the advise i will check it out and post my findings.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by game warden View Post
Not sure which "right" your referring to. I had this happen on the curb side of my rig, sign camper and TV using a Reese Straight Line hitch with 1200 lb bars. I replaced the snap up bracket with a new one, pulled out the directions and measured everything 4 times, confirmed there was binding on turns, etc. Drove the unit 2 miles from the storage lot home and same issue - the curbside bracket was bent.
I called Reese and spoke with one of their troubleshooters. He asked me a few questions, I explained what transpired and said he couldn't understand why it happened but he would send me new snap up brackets for free. A few days later the box arrived and they had sent me the heavy duty brackets. The brackets have heavy gauge steel welded to each edge. No more problems.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Not sure which "right" your referring to. I had this happen on the curb side of my rig, sign camper and TV using a Reese Straight Line hitch with 1200 lb bars. I replaced the snap up bracket with a new one, pulled out the directions and measured everything 4 times, confirmed there was binding on turns, etc. Drove the unit 2 miles from the storage lot home and same issue - the curbside bracket was bent.
I called Reese and spoke with one of their troubleshooters. He asked me a few questions, I explained what transpired and said he couldn't understand why it happened but he would send me new snap up brackets for free. A few days later the box arrived and they had sent me the heavy duty brackets. The brackets have heavy gauge steel welded to each edge. No more problems.
as you experienced, the 1200lb bars and std snap up brackets IMHO make a very marginal combination. I think Reese should be supplying the HD brackets with 1200lb bars. The latest style HD brackets seem to solve many issues. The eary style HD brackets really were not much of an improvment since the gussett stopped well before the stress point and they still would bend, just not as easy as the std bracket.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
game warden

Just called reese today and and explained the issue to them gave me a couple of more things to look at but I saw the many issues of the snap up bracket bending on different forums. Reese did agree to send me the hd brackets that seem to be a secret to most of us. thank you reese for the help! I hope this is the end of this and fixes my issue at hand.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
game warden

WOW ups showed up with my new brackets...now thats customer service and just in time. Headed out this weekend for a couple of day`s and we will try them out and hope it cures my issue. But THANK YOU REESE !
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
game warden

Just wanted to give everyone a update. Well we were out this weekend and the new brackets Reese sent me worked flawless could not have asked for a better sucess story here to be honest. The new brackets got a work out this weekend and no issues at all. Alot of the cracking and banging noise that I was hearing with the old brackets was to a much lesser degree too.