Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
Tim Wiening

Slide-out question.

We purchased a new Bullet 26RBS last summer. It's great for the 2 of us with the large living area. Anyway my question is about the slide-out. We do both weekend visits and longer. Also we use it during the fall deer season up until it's too cold any more for me. LOL This is our first unit with a slide-out. I've been in the habit of closing & opening it each time we visit. Saw NO issues while the weather was nice. Once the cold came it seemed to move a bit slower and sort of wiggles as it moves.
So what if I leave it out until seasons end? I have the roll up cover on it so debris shouldn't be a big issue. So I'm asking if anyone does this and what are the issues?
Thanks for the help.
Tim Wiening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
Lee

Hi,

I keep my slide out.... Out all year long but, my TT stays parked under a roof.

I think somewhere buried in the operator manual for the slide the manufacturer recommend exercising the slide monthly..... I dont.....

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
LewisB

I think most maintenance plans include a requirement to regularly "exercise" the slides - you will get a variety of personal opinions regarding the actual need. In our case, our trailer sits on our property but is not covered.
  • We had a 2008 toy hauler with 3 slides that sat OUT about 95% of the time. I did not exercise them regularly so as "not to wear them out". The trailer was uncovered in Tucson with summer temperatures that commonly exceed 105F. After about 7-8 years, the slide seals were gone - weakened by so much sun/heat exposure.
  • We purchased a new 2018 toy hauler last year. I have been exercising the slides at least once every 2 weeks or so and try to leave them IN as much as possible to protect the seals from the sun. Unfortunately, they will still be exposed to the heat. Unfortunately, I have no idea which of these is the better plan.
What I do recommend is an annual cleaning and maintenance of the slide seals - replacing them on our last trailer was quite a project!
Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Our trailer sits in the pole barn, inside, out of the weather, from October/November through April/May every year. In order to position the trailer so other equipment can be stored for the winter, it's impossible to extend the slides on a regular basis. The batteries are also removed and stored "off site" for the winter. There's no way to "readily" exercise the slides on a regular basis while the trailer is in storage.

Does that mean I've abused the slides? or that they will fail prematurely? or that, somehow, maintenance has been 'ignored"?

I don't know, but with 2 fifth wheels with slides, stored the same way, the first for 4 years and now this one for 7, I've had no issues with slide mechanical failure from "lack of exercising slides per the manufacturer's recommendations"...

I hope this hasn't "jinxed my luck" as I haven't pulled the Cougar out of storage yet for the summer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I don't exercise and neither do my slides. We both "winter in" and I have to admit the slides are in better shape than I am. I don't see the point in leaving the slides out if it's not being used. To me it would just add opportunity for mice to find entry. That's what works for me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
travelin texans

If I recall the exercising of the slides was more for the hydraulic types rather than the cable or Schwintec types (both need periodic lubrication) in order to keep the seals on the hydraulic rams lubricated, not so much for the slide seals themselves. The factory techs told me to exercise the main slides monthly, also the level up system, wiping down the hydraulic rams and spraying with silicone spray before retracting if extended for long periods of time. As for the seals they recommended Pledge furniture polish, I used the dollar store imitation, to wipe down all the rubber seals & gaskets monthly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #7
spade117

Our trailer is stored on the side of our house over the winter, but we also remove the battery so "exercise" is not happening. Once the trailer is not in winter storage mode, it is moved onto the driveway, and if the slides are out, I do have to put them in when mowing the lawn as they overhang the grass on that side of the driveway.

I ran into an issue yesterday as I was getting ready to mow the lawn. I've only had the trailer in the driveway for a little over a week. The slides went out for the first time after winter and yesterday was the first time putting the slides back in. The smaller back slide came in with no issues. The larger superslide stopped moving after about 3-4 inches. No sound was made, just dead. At first I thought power was lost, but I confirmed that was not the case. Tried the slide button again in both directions and nothing. Wiggled the slide a little and tried again. It started to come in again, but just another 3-4 inches and stopped again. Wiggled it again, and then it finally came in the whole way. Not sure what the issue was.

Any ideas?
Old 05-04-2020, 05:39 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Steven,

It sounds like an electrical issue. From your description, it looks like the slide motor is drawing "too many amps" and the DC mini-breaker is opening after 3-4" of travel, once it resets the slide will move another 3-4" then it opens again. Any of the below "causes" of increased amperage would/could be the reason.

Potential sources are:

1. Dead cell in the battery, an under charged battery.
2. Corrosion/loose connections on the wiring from the battery to the switch and then to the slide motor.
3. Weak/corroded DC mini-breaker on the circuit.
4. Binding slide rams/broken gears in the slide mechanism. Not likely if the slide does move fully in and fully out.
5. Bad/corroded slide motor. (I'd save this one for last as it's the most expensive)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-05-2020, 05:10 AM   #9
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Steven,

It sounds like an electrical issue. From your description, it looks like the slide motor is drawing "too many amps" and the DC mini-breaker is opening after 3-4" of travel, once it resets the slide will move another 3-4" then it opens again. Any of the below "causes" of increased amperage would/could be the reason.

Potential sources are:

1. Dead cell in the battery, an under charged battery.
2. Corrosion/loose connections on the wiring from the battery to the switch and then to the slide motor.
3. Weak/corroded DC mini-breaker on the circuit.
4. Binding slide rams/broken gears in the slide mechanism. Not likely if the slide does move fully in and fully out.
5. Bad/corroded slide motor. (I'd save this one for last as it's the most expensive)...
Thanks John.

I checked all the exposed wiring/connections yesterday when I got home from work. Other than finding a spider nest under one of the caps, everything looked good. The threads and terminals do have a little bit of rust, but otherwise seem to be in good shape.

I went ahead and fully extended the slide and then retracted it again. This time there was no issue.

I believe I am going to have to poke around a little more.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
The threads and terminals do have a little bit of rust, but otherwise seem to be in good shape.
I am not an electrical expert at all, but I would take a very close look at the rust and possible corrosion on your connections. That may be your problem. I have recently had a couple of electrical issues that I traced back to either loose or corroded/rusted connections. I am in the process of cleaning all of my connections and adding Noalox to keep out the oxidation.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
Thanks John.

I checked all the exposed wiring/connections yesterday when I got home from work. Other than finding a spider nest under one of the caps, everything looked good. The threads and terminals do have a little bit of rust, but otherwise seem to be in good shape.

I went ahead and fully extended the slide and then retracted it again. This time there was no issue.

I believe I am going to have to poke around a little more.
If the terminals you found rusted are on the DC mini-breakers, you might want to dig a bit deeper. Essentially, those devices are a "plastic or metal can" with a thermal sensing device that opens the circuit when excessive amps flow through the device. It resets when things cool down. If there's rust on the terminals, there may well be rust and corrosion on the interior components that you can't see. In most travel trailers, the mini-breakers used are anything but waterproof, even though they are often mounted on the A-frame crossmember bulkhead, exposed to water and road spray with every tow. That red plastic top cover isn't going to protect the device from moisture, if anything, it holds the water longer, allowing even more corrosion to develop.

I'd make a friendly wager that one of those mini-breakers is the source of your intermittent slide travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
dutchmensport

If you are going to be away from the camper for any length of time (like Monday through Friday) and use it on just weekend, it's probably the wisest thing to pull the slides in if you are going to be gone.

Why? less vulnerability to damage by nature or vandals when they are "in". Of course, if you are there, leave them out.

And then, it's based on your own comfort level to leave them in our out.

Mechanically, like any motorized device, if it is not used every now and then, motors can freeze up, rust up, and die for no apparent reason.

However, every time you pull the slides in, you've got to clear the path and put stuff up where they retract. This can be quite a chore if your camper is a mess. However, it does force you to clean up ever now and then too. So, it's really 50/50 and your own comfort level.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
Jeff Pratt

If your battery is not up to full charge low amperage can result in the slide not working or working intermediately. Pledge or baby powder on the slides can help them moving in and out.
Jeff Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
Rber1234

There is no right or wrong answer on to leave it out or in. Before I had a slide topper I would pull mine in half way during heavy rain storms just to help keep water from getting past the seals. With slide topper I don’t have to do that any longer. Crawling bugs on the other hand will find their way into a TT the longer you have the slide out when you’re not there. I always close slide when not using TT to help keep them out.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
There is no right or wrong answer on to leave it out or in. Before I had a slide topper I would pull mine in half way during heavy rain storms just to help keep water from getting past the seals. With slide topper I don’t have to do that any longer. Crawling bugs on the other hand will find their way into a TT the longer you have the slide out when you’re not there. I always close slide when not using TT to help keep them out.
I'll have to disagree with your comments on rain & bugs!
If the slides are fully extended or retracted the bulb seals should be tight against the opening either inside or outside to prevent leaking or bugs entering. With the slides partially in/out neither the inside nor outside seals are making contact leaving only the wiper seal to keep rain & bugs out, which if partially folded won't keep either out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #16
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
(snip)As for the seals they recommended Pledge furniture polish, I used the dollar store imitation, to wipe down all the rubber seals & gaskets monthly.
. Danny, who recommends that? (Not doubting you)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #17
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
However, every time you pull the slides in, you've got to clear the path and put stuff up where they retract. This can be quite a chore if your camper is a mess. However, it does force you to clean up ever now and then too. So, it's really 50/50 and your own comfort level.
Would you please elaborate about “clear the path?”

Tags
slide