Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
busterbrown

The latest numbers...

People can't stop buying RVs. Consumers are buying now more than ever. 25% year over year increases. Holy 'campground' Batman!

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2017/09/rv...est-on-record/
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:12 AM   #2
notanlines

Buster, can I assume you did double up on your THO stock a few years ago? What? No? Well, neither did I. As Brenda and I travel this Country we are amazed at the large number of RV dealerships we see. Somebody is making a lot of trailers somewhere.....Indiana I would guess.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I get the RVIA newsletter in my email on a regular basis, and I'm working 6 days/week more often to try keeping up. And from my point of view, customers are buying bigger and bigger units.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

As long as credit interest is low and the job outlook is positive, people will "take the chance" and make large purchases. Not only are RV sales up, but consumer sales of major appliances, "new to me" (used) vehicles, boats, motorcycles, ATV's and even lawn tractors (riding mowers) are up.

Part of the increase is likely the lower fuel prices, even though there's a small price "uptick" with the hurricane damage to the Texas refineries. But the main reason for the increase in sales is because people feel confident enough in their employment/income that they're willing to "take the step" toward a major purchase. As long as we have "relatively low fuel prices" and increasing employment/jobs, things will continue to grow.

Let's hope there's also some corresponding increase in campground/campsite availability. So far, there's no talk in Lansing about reopening the state forest campgrounds that were closed as a part of the "downsizing of DNR" that occurred around 2009. Those facilities remain closed, off limits and "unused" while the available state forest campgrounds are "full to capacity"....

So, I'm sure campers in other states face the same "site availability" that we see here....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
Dave W

I usually look at the RVIA website (http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=currentmonth). Even our usually empty but us seasonals small 54 site CG until last year after Labor Day is virtually full over the weekends and well occupied during the week. It used to be locals that would dribble in for a last gasp Adirondack/Vermont leaf peeping weekend. The last two weekends there were RVs from SD, NJ, GA, TX, CA, CO, MO, LA, SC, PA, IN plus Canada's QE and ON that I can recall. Unfortunately I don't see many (any?) new CGs being builtin the Adirondack region, or even being enlarged or improved (thanks APA*)

* Adirondack Park Agency, the cause of the demise of the NY North Country entrepreneurship and land holding.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Bisjoe

We bought our trailer on 9/16, though the camping season is pretty close to the end, because we got a great deal. When we picked it up I noticed the schedule for training/hookups for that Saturday and there were 12 of us. We spoke to several others and more were upgrading (trading-in) than first timers like us, but I agree that the economy is doing well, and continued low gas prices also help, but don't forget about TV shows like "Going RV" and "Flippin' RVs" on Travel Channel and GAC drawing more positive attention to the RV lifestyle.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As long as credit interest is low and the job outlook is positive, people will "take the chance" and make large purchases. Not only are RV sales up, but consumer sales of major appliances, "new to me" (used) vehicles, boats, motorcycles, ATV's and even lawn tractors (riding mowers) are up.

Part of the increase is likely the lower fuel prices, even though there's a small price "uptick" with the hurricane damage to the Texas refineries. But the main reason for the increase in sales is because people feel confident enough in their employment/income that they're willing to "take the step" toward a major purchase. As long as we have "relatively low fuel prices" and increasing employment/jobs, things will continue to grow.

Let's hope there's also some corresponding increase in campground/campsite availability. So far, there's no talk in Lansing about reopening the state forest campgrounds that were closed as a part of the "downsizing of DNR" that occurred around 2009. Those facilities remain closed, off limits and "unused" while the available state forest campgrounds are "full to capacity"....

So, I'm sure campers in other states face the same "site availability" that we see here....

The DW and I were looking around outside of Oscoda Mi last weekend and came across 4 rustic campsites off East River Road in the Huron Nation Forest that, I believe, were not there last year. Coord. 44.426506, -83.407945 if interested. DW wants to boondock there next year..right on the Ausable..only need permit from May thru Oct 1st..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I get the RVIA newsletter in my email on a regular basis, and I'm working 6 days/week more often to try keeping up. And from my point of view, customers are buying bigger and bigger units.

Hopefully campgrounds will keep up with the larger units and the larger demand!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Bit'n'Goldie

Too bad RV Dealerships Service Departments don't match their Sales Department staffing and customer service. It's a nightmare anymore to have factory installed junk repaired in a timely manner!! And I thought buying a new unit would decrease my trips to the RV Service Department, HA!

On a positive note, we are enjoying our unit as much as possible praying no major problems happen on 'each' trip out.