Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Ruko

Opening slides while parked on the street

Hello everyone. We purchased a new to us Fuzion 342 in December. It is our first trailer with slides and it has 3 of them. Our winter here is ending and we will be getting ready for the season soon. So far it has been sitting in storage since we purchased it. We normally kept our previous trailer at a friends acreage and just brought it home when we were planning to use it. We do not have a long enough driveway to park it so we parked on the street in front of the house to load it and then would take off for our trip, but it had no slides. The floor plan of the new trailer is great except we cannot access the kitchen with the slides in so in order to load it up we will need to extend the slides.It is our first trailer with slides so I was not aware of how they worked and didn't know both slides extended at the same time with a single switch. In order to open the kitchen slide the living room slide is moving out into the street. I have done lots of searching but cannot find anything to say it is OK or not OK to extend the slide into the street. Common scene tells me it is not. The street is in a quiet residential area, not a busy street, however I still don't think it would not be a good idea. Is there a way to stop the living room slide from extending while still allowing the kitchen slide to open? BTW the slides in question are hydraulic.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
Javi

Be my guess that anyone who happens to drive down your street while you have the slides out will take exception to such...
Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

There isn't any thing about extending a slide into the street other than your going to be blocking free flow of traffic, and someone might be offended by that.

Since 1 button extends both slides, I bet they are hydraulic. If you can find the manifold by the pump, it will have two thumb screws for the slides to adjust how fast they move. A bit of playing around will determine which one is for the slide you DONT want extended. Just shut it off, do your thing and then turn it back to THE SAME NUMBER OF TURNS open.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruko View Post
Hello everyone. We purchased a new to us Fuzion 342 in December. It is our first trailer with slides and it has 3 of them. Our winter here is ending and we will be getting ready for the season soon. So far it has been sitting in storage since we purchased it. We normally kept our previous trailer at a friends acreage and just brought it home when we were planning to use it. We do not have a long enough driveway to park it so we parked on the street in front of the house to load it and then would take off for our trip, but it had no slides. The floor plan of the new trailer is great except we cannot access the kitchen with the slides in so in order to load it up we will need to extend the slides.It is our first trailer with slides so I was not aware of how they worked and didn't know both slides extended at the same time with a single switch. In order to open the kitchen slide the living room slide is moving out into the street. I have done lots of searching but cannot find anything to say it is OK or not OK to extend the slide into the street. Common scene tells me it is not. The street is in a quiet residential area, not a busy street, however I still don't think it would not be a good idea. Is there a way to stop the living room slide from extending while still allowing the kitchen slide to open? BTW the slides in question are hydraulic.
Mine open individually I would pull the switch out and add a switch to work them apart there should be two sets of wires, I think you need to put a lot of orange cones out or surely someone will hit it.
with 5" exhaust system
2015 Keystone Montana HC 305RL
650 Watt Solar panels, 4 6volt T-105
Go power 3000 inverter.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Ruko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There isn't any thing about extending a slide into the street other than your going to be blocking free flow of traffic, and someone might be offended by that.

Since 1 button extends both slides, I bet they are hydraulic. If you can find the manifold by the pump, it will have two thumb screws for the slides to adjust how fast they move. A bit of playing around will determine which one is for the slide you DONT want extended. Just shut it off, do your thing and then turn it back to THE SAME NUMBER OF TURNS open.

Awesome Chuckster... exactly the type of answer I was hoping to get.

Thank you very much

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 04-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I would definitely be working on a solution as mentioned above so both slides won't operate at the same time. In our city there is a city ordinance prohibiting trucks, RVs etc. from parking on the curb/street. They will give you a variance if you are loading/unloading as you are but you still can't extend your slide into the street.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Ruko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would definitely be working on a solution as mentioned above so both slides won't operate at the same time. In our city there is a city ordinance prohibiting trucks, RVs etc. from parking on the curb/street. They will give you a variance if you are loading/unloading as you are but you still can't extend your slide into the street.
Here we are allowed to park in front of our residence for up to 72 hours, provided the trailer remains attached to the tow vehicle. I could not find anything mentioned in the bylaws about having the slides in or out.

I will try Chucksters solution and if it works then problem solved.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

One other thing to consider is that the crown of the road may cause you to not be level enough for smooth operation of the slide. Don't force them if they bind.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Did you say winter was over?
All of the golf courses are open here but right now it is snowing like there's no tomorrow. Had green yesterday white grass today.
Enjoy that Fuzion.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
BuxCamper

If it is a multi turn valve adding some sort of market to help you align it and a note of the number of turns might be in order..

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
Ruko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Did you say winter was over?
All of the golf courses are open here but right now it is snowing like there's no tomorrow. Had green yesterday white grass today.
Enjoy that Fuzion.
Haha not quite over but getting there... my yard has been bare grass for a while but we did just get more snow a few days ago... luckily is was gone by the next day. Everything is still kind of wet so just waiting for it to dry up. We have had snow up until May long weekend though so winter is never really over until June... Welcome to Canada eh...

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 04-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
Ruko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
If it is a multi turn valve adding some sort of market to help you align it and a note of the number of turns might be in order..

-- Mark
For sure... I already thought of that. I will mark them before I do anything so I will be able to get back to the original spot.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 04-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I highly doubt there is any law written that has no slides can be extended while on the street. The laws will mention width or blocking of a lane. When you go past 8 ft wide that is the problem. In the US currently made residential streets are around 32 ft wide if made for 2 way traffic and parking on both sides. The way people drive I would suspect someone would hit the slide and some point.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
Patrice

Ruko, look at it this way... With the slides extended, it's like being double parked. Personally, not a good idea and I wonder if your insurance would cover if someone ran into it...
My $0.02 worth
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #15
gearhead

Here in Liberty we do what we want, when we want.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

Tomatoes are already golf ball sized. My son killed a coral snake last week. My sister just texted me that she is in ER with what she thinks is a broken hip. She slipped and fell by the pool running from a water moccasin. Yes, spring is here.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
theeyres

I guess you can't just open the slides a little bit? I'm not familiar with your type of slide but I have the same issue so when parked on our street I just open the slide far enough to get into the kitchen. I also put out a couple of those yellow traffic cones to warn people. But I always close the slide at night or when I do not need to get into the kitchen or living area.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
trucker LOU

Hey Ruko, A few strips of "conspicuity tape" will ad some awareness when parked in congested areas.----Lou----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	12273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	12274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	12275  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #18
Pull Toy

Welcome!

Even on site, I have learned that a little extra, goes a long way with unexpected company, and uninformed visitors. Check your local "Big box store, or auto supply house for small traffic cones, and reflective tape.

When in doubt, I deploy small orange cones preferably with reflective spots to mark my slides (2' forward / 2' out). Also, I have applied permanent reflector tape " White Dots" reflector tape, to front and rear of all sliders. (The white dots are less industrial looking than DOT, and disappear during the day, but still light up, when lit- up!) They will not interfere with your weatherproofing slides. Cheap insurance!

Good Luck !!!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 AM   #19
2014301ktmhauler

Probably get ten reasons why not to do this but.......On my 342 if I just want the the fridge slide to open I just stand on the carpet of the couch slide while pushing the button. Same hydraulic principle as turning needle valves just lazier.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Ruko

I actually thought of that but didn't try it... i didn't think a person's wieght would make enough difference. I will keep that in mind but will check for the valves on the manifold first.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500

Tags
slide