Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #21
Glenda Clark

Add me to the list of radio gremlins , mine will turn it's self on too.
I have found plugging into shore power will cause this to occure.
It's spooky when it does this in the middle of the night.

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
cma1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Anyone else need some Visene? The dust from these old posts are heavy lately.
This may be an old thread, but evidently the problem is still out there. Mine just started a couple of months ago, but no problem since removing the fuse. Thank goodness we don't watch DVDs or care whether the radio works or not. I'm actually relieved to find that mine isn't the only one doing this. Just wish I had been able to simply turn off the alarm to cure the problem.
cma1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #23
LHaven

Try covering the infrared remote sensor window on the unit with a small piece of opaque tape. If it stops turning on, assume something inside (or even outside) of your rig is generating a rogue "remote" signal.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
cma1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Try covering the infrared remote sensor window on the unit with a small piece of opaque tape. If it stops turning on, assume something inside (or even outside) of your rig is generating a rogue "remote" signal.
That is an interesting idea. At first I thought the remote was being inadvertently pressed by something else stored in the box with it give it, but after placing the remote in a different place, the radio came on again the next day, and at that point none of the buttons/functions worked, so I took the fuse out. I’ll try your suggestion—thanks.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
travelin texans

Our last 5th wheel had a Jensen tv that at 2am would come on by itself with the volume blaring, talk about a wake-up call, we may have soiled the bed the first time.
The dealer replaced it & had a good stack of them to return to the manufacturer, seems somehow they had gotten programmed with a built in alarm, by accident or intentionally, at different times during the middle of the night. The replacement worked without any issues.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #26
cma1975

radio gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma1975 View Post
This may be an old thread, but evidently the problem is still out there. Mine just started a couple of months ago, but no problem since removing the fuse. Thank goodness we don't watch DVDs or care whether the radio works or not. I'm actually relieved to find that mine isn't the only one doing this. Just wish I had been able to simply turn off the alarm to cure the problem.
UPDATE The next time we took the trailer out (in November), we had a fault light on in the switch panel by the door. Since I had no idea what caused it, and the only thing different was the missing fuse in the fuse panel, I put the fuse back in and the fault light went out. I went through the On/Off Alarm menu and thought I had it off, but of course that cursed blue glow from the unit continues no matter what you do. All was well until last week, when the radio came on again. So, I removed the fuse again. I hate red warning lights on anything (and there is one in the fuse panel where the fuse belongs), so does anyone have any other suggestions???
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Apparently, pulling the fuse removes all power from the stereo (stopping the alarm and turning off the blue backlight on the stereo) but causes the red "blown fuse indicator" on the fuse panel to glow.

You might locate the power line into the stereo (probably a red wire behind it) and install a toggle switch (OFF/ON) in that wire. Mount the switch beside the stereo, when you want to use it, flip the toggle on, when you want dark and no alarm, switch the toggle off. No backlight, no alarm and no red indicator on the fuse panel. You will, however, lose all your station pre-sets and the time clock on the stereo. Of course you're losing that already by pulling the fuse, so, you know what to expect there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #28
cma1975

Thanks. I was wondering about something like that. I was thinking of just pulling the stereo out and disconnecting it altogether. This would be better; I’ll run it past DH. ��
Old 02-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #29
Dave W

Our Montana has a POS Jensen AWM 968 that started coming on at odd times. No alarm set, nothing, nada. I fixed it - put a master toggle switch on the power line in the adjacent cabinet. No more blue light that couldn't be 100% turned off, no clock that had to be reset after ant 120VAC or 12VDC power burp - yeah, I know, supposed to stay set on 12VDC but wouldn't. Then there is that completely non intuitive remote that doesn't always work - but I digress about that $225 POS.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #30
cma1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Our Montana has a POS Jensen AWM 968 that started coming on at odd times. No alarm set, nothing, nada. I fixed it - put a master toggle switch on the power line in the adjacent cabinet. No more blue light that couldn't be 100% turned off, no clock that had to be reset after ant 120VAC or 12VDC power burp - yeah, I know, supposed to stay set on 12VDC but wouldn't. Then there is that completely non intuitive remote that doesn't always work - but I digress about that $225 POS.
Our POS is an iRV. I think the toggle switch is the best idea and will look into that. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #31
LHaven

Quote:
All was well until last week, when the radio came on again. So, I removed the fuse again.
Disconnecting the power cures the symptom, but it clearly isn't the source of the fault. The fault is most likely inside the radio unit itself. I assume from the date that your rig is far from under warranty, or I'd just ask them to replace the radio unit. Though maybe the manufacturer's warranty on the radio unit itself is longer.

(Did you ever cover the remote sensor with tape?)
Old 02-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #32
cma1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Disconnecting the power cures the symptom, but it clearly isn't the source of the fault. The fault is most likely inside the radio unit itself. I assume from the date that your rig is far from under warranty, or I'd just ask them to replace the radio unit. Though maybe the manufacturer's warranty on the radio unit itself is longer.

(Did you ever cover the remote sensor with tape?)
No I didn’t—forgot all about that. What will covering the sensor tell me? The crazy thing is that it didn’t start until we’d had the trailer for about 3 years. Is it possible that pulling the fuse “resets” it? So if I cover the sensor now, after re-inserting the fuse, and it doesn’t come on, how would I know whether success came from the fuse or the tape? I’ve got the TT new in September 2016, so it is long out of warranty.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
No I didn’t—forgot all about that. What will covering the sensor tell me? The crazy thing is that it didn’t start until we’d had the trailer for about 3 years. Is it possible that pulling the fuse “resets” it? So if I cover the sensor now, after re-inserting the fuse, and it doesn’t come on, how would I know whether success came from the fuse or the tape? I’ve got the TT new in September 2016, so it is long out of warranty.
Covering the sensor will tell you whether the radio is seeing stray environmental infrared signals that it is interpreting as the on button from a remote.

If it starts acting up again, cover the sensor. If it stops, uncover it again. If it starts again, just keep some electrical tape over the sensor when you're not using the remote.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #34
cma1975

Thanks for the explanation. It’s worth a try to figure out the cause of the problem, and we can always install a switch if the tape doesn’t stop it.

Tags
radio