Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
howshow

San Francisco

Hey all we are planning a trip to san fran in Aug, i have been trying to find a decent rv place to stay for a week, but all i get is mixed reviews & now im confused.

If anyone has some recommendations that would be much appreciated, also if there are places to avoid then id love to know these to so i can scratch them from my list.

thanks again, well be doing slow coast drive back to Canada after our trip in San Francisco so any places along our route home would be again helpful.

Thank you in advance.

2015 Keystone Springdale, 282BHSSRWE
howshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Not much help here other than one of those places I scratched from my list long ago is San Francisco Now very northern CA to Canada is on my list
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
cw3jason

I went to San Francisco in a jeep grand Cherokee. The streets are narrow. I do not know where you can pull an RV there, but if you find a place outside the city and drive over the bridge with your TV, be sure to check out Fishermans warf. Great crab and sourdough sandwiches and great shopping too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
jsmith948

NO - you do not want to take your trailer into the city. I would recommend Bodega Bay (north of the city) or the Sanoma or even the Petaluma/Santa Rosa area. All north of the city, which will require a little driving to sight see. But if you have never visited the wine country, it is worth a look-see.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Bodega bay is nice. We stayed a week at Puerto Bodega, nice CG, no internet but the view makes up for it. You will need reservations well in advance. Another nice place we stayed was Olema RV resort. It's in Olema right outside the Pt Reyes station state park. 20 mile drive to the trail that takes you to the lighthouse. Stinson beach is nearby and somewhat famous. Be prepared for what I consider exorbitant bridge tolls, cost us $14.00 to cross with the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
svanarts

I would look for an RV park in or around San Rafael, Ca. A quick Google search shows three in the area but I don't know the quality of the parks. But what I do know is that you can catch a ferry boat to San Francisco from Larkspur which is pretty much in San Rafael. This is a MUCH better way to get to SF than driving. Plus San Rafael is just south of the wine country in Marin County which is a nice trip in and of itself. Google "Golden Gate Ferry" to find the ferry stop at Larkspur Landing. It will drop you off right at Fisherman's Wharf.

Oh, and if you take the ferry don't forget your winter jacket. It's cold ride across the bay even in the summer.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Jay Pat

Have reservations for Marin Park Campground (Good Sam) located in Greenbrae, CA.
2 blocks to ferry that goes to San Francisco (hot spot area).
Will be our first visit.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
theeyres

We have stayed several times at San Francisco RV Resort. The big criticism is tight sites and, yes, they are tight, and yes it is a big parking lot. But the views are spectacular and it is very close to San Francisco. Don't go expecting a great RV experience, just go to be close to SF and spectacular ocean views. I think it is the best thing around...but we have never stayed North of SF, so can't speak to those places. Our son lives in downtown SF and this is the best place we can find for easy access.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #9
deltadude

We are new to RVing and looked for a site near SF for our first trip since it's fairly close to home. We didn't end up there but did see a few sites north of the city. Larkspur, Novato, San Rafael are on Hwy 101. There are also sites near Vallejo on Hwy 80. Both have access to Ferry's. You really don't want to drive any vehicle in the city if you can help it. There are more cars than there are parking spots and they are very expensive. They have a neat trolley system utilizing old trolley cars. When we go, we take our bicycles. It's a great way to get around. You can also rent them. Mark Twain said" the coldest winter he ever saw was summer in San Francisco".
deltadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #10
Bluewater

We have stayed a couple of times at the now old football stadium rv park. Once there it was very nice and secure but not the best neighborhood. Easy access to freeways to town but was pretty expensive...$75 last time.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
JimDogs

As one that travels the GGB very often I would say to avoid the Golden Gate Bridge with a trailer It would cost $25.00 plus for your TV and tandem axle trailer, and it is now all automatic payment. What that means is that you will pay a surcharge or $20.00 for them to look up your license plate and mail you a bill. Fail to pay that in 15 days and you'll get hit with a fine of $35.00 plus!
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
howshow

oh wow great responses, thank you all for the info, sorry for the late reply have been super busy up here lately.

Anyways i will be looking into all the spots everyone has recommended, also i was not planning to take the truck/TT in to the city, i try to avoid any downtown city with the combo, I would take the bikes for sure & make best use of the trolleys/ferries buses etc.

2015 Keystone Springdale, 282BHSSRWE
howshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Dave & SUe

Stayed at the Peteluma KOA last fall.Nice place and a good"base" camp.We did several trips out of there.San fran,wine country and a trip to the coastal areas to see the light house at Reyes.Nice camp ground and great staff.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote