Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Richard6959

Lowered my underbelly cover....

I lowered my underbelly cover so that I could insulate the water lines and cut out some of the extra heat duct. It wasn't too difficult, just time consuming. I ended up cutting the cover all the way across just after the rear axles. I then lowered it towards the front. It laid flat on the ground so we laid on it as we worked. I used 1/2 inch split foam tubes from Home Depot. I used the "T" and elbow foam connections as well. I purchased belly tape from PPL while I was in Houston. It was expensive at $67 for a box of 180ft. I only used about 8 feet of it. In all I am happy with the result. I still need to access the lines running to the outside kitchen which is beyond the rear axle area.

As for the heater duct, I trimmed each run by about 5 feet. Not sure how much it helped, because the TT is new and its just now getting colder at night.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Yosemitebob

so why did you cut the underbelly at all?
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
geo

From experience: Cutting the coroplast makes the job of getting around it much easier - gas lines, etc. Since the coroplast is attached when the frame is upside down, cutting it when working below it is just easier. I made three full side-by-side cuts in mine.

Run
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
Bob Landry

I had to go up into mine to run some wiring and re-taped it with Gorilla tape. It's a lot cheaper and seems to be holding well.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Yosemitebob

I have lowered mine, but I couldn't cut it, I didn't want to have the additional wick line for water getting inside from traveling. I go to Washington a lot (lots of rain from the road gets up there). I did think about making a lip out of additional material and then attaching it permanently to one side and multiple screws to the other, figured I'll do that next time.

Bob Landry - I don't understand what you are saying OH, ok, I believe both of you used the belly tape or Gorilla tape, to mend the seam where you cut? How is that holding up?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
geo

Yosemitebob -

If you examine the underbelly, especially behind the tires and the bottom of the slides, you will be surprised how much underbelly tape Keystone, or any other manufacturer, uses during construction. Believe me, water will not penetrate underbelly tape. I did not use Gorilla tape, so can't comment on it. I found (see Sticky in Mods) that with insulation and cutting the underbelly, the interior of our Alpine was less humid.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Yosemitebob

Thanks for the reply Geo, hopefully I won't have to go back in, but if I do I will probably to just that.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
WaltBennett

Haven't done the entire underbelly, but did drop the front part after getting a lot of water into it from driving through a heavy rain. Found the problem was the extremely cheap aluminum strips Keystone used to hold the coroplast up - it bends between screws so water goes right through. Picked up some U channel aluminum from Lowe's and redid it with that & some clear caulk.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
{tpc}

Is there a place online one can purchase this "belly tape"? One of my plans for next year is to take a look under there at the black tank sensor if the issue isn't found up in the control panel.

Originally I was just going to have the dealer look at it, but I just don't think I trust them to do that well of a job. The plus side is I get to see exactly what is going on under there.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Is there a place online one can purchase this "belly tape"? One of my plans for next year is to take a look under there at the black tank sensor if the issue isn't found up in the control panel.

Originally I was just going to have the dealer look at it, but I just don't think I trust them to do that well of a job. The plus side is I get to see exactly what is going on under there.
Tony -

Here is where I ordered from:

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/prod...roduct_id=2213

They were quick to fill the order and ship.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
mikebrls

I wish I could loose my UNDERBELLY OR SPARE TIRE
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote