Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
glissa

Fuzion FZ302 Toyhauler - Four 6 Volt batteries

After a VERY long winter, I finally have had a chance to get around to a few of the things I have been wanting to do to my RV.

Now I know there are a few people that have added more then just two 6 volt batteries but from what I can find most people end up utilizing the spare 30lb propane bottle storage on the opposite side of the RV. I have decided - as you will see - to use the "wasted space" below the stock battery tray location.

In the first two pictures you will see the "Battery Box" in its completed and painted state sitting on my bench. In the second two pictures you will see it mounted up on the RV, with batteries, wired up, and ready to go!

For those of you that dry camp, dislike listening to the 5500 watt "D9 Caterpillar" generator run for hours on end, have two beautiful daughters and a lovely wife that only know how to turn things on (Not off), AND are only happy with an internal RV temperature hot enough dry meat….. Then this mod is for you!!!

I hope you guys enjoy and please comment and let me know your thoughts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuzion Battery Box 1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	5931

Name:	Fuzion Battery Box 2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	5932

Name:	Fuzion Battery Box 3.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5933

Name:	Fuzion Battery Box 4.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	5934
glissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
dannyk

Interesting, looks nice, do you run them as two seperate power sources with a switch to select which bank to run or all hooked together.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
glissa

I run them all hooked together - I guess its almost like looking at it like running 2 VERY big 12 volt batteries. I also run a separate 12 volt battery on an isolator which its sole purpose is for starting the generator. This way if we ever run the house batteries flat, I can still fire the generator to get us back to life...
glissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Sandi587

That's an interesting idea. As large as my unit is I only have one battery shelf at the moment, holding one 12 volt. Trying to figure out how to get more space for 6 volt pairs. Where you mounted yours is about the only option I really have.

2013 Dodge Ram Dually
2014 Fuzion 404 Chrome
Sandi587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
SJBrooks

glissa,

Looks like a great mod! I too have a 302 (a new-to-me '12 model) that I'm planning to take out in two weeks for its first trip. I recently added a third group 27 12-volt battery on the stock shelf (two for the camper itself and one for the generator). I'm very interested in your mod and will highly consider doing the same myself. Any info you can share later as to how it performed will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Jeff and Rita

Really nice, I was thinking about doing the same thing.... after having Battery issues. Solar charger to answer. But i do think a separate battery just for the Generator is essential. If you don't mind would you send me the demotions on your box that you fabricated? It look good and built great. Thanks again...
Jeff and Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
abneynormal

nice

my 3912 has room that I could squeeze something like that in the 2 compartments. my batteries are still working so.. don't fix it till it breaks.as for the d9 generator try making a stack like I did. you can stand outside my rig next to the generator and talk without yelling.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Jager

So it looks like the bottom battery tray extends down below the bottom of the RV. I don't think this will be an issue but how protected is that compartment from water and road grime?

I really like the idea of going with a similar setup. I was trying to figure out how to do it with slide out battery trays? I HATE the setup from Keystone. Not sure about everyone else but I find it to be a complete PITA to get batteries in/out of that compartment. Why not have slide out trays to make it easier for the owner?

Ok, one more question . . . Do you guys really have a diesel generator? mine has the standard Onan 5500 watt gas job but I would have GLADLY paid to get a super quite diesel in place of it. My idea is to bag the extra propane tank and build in a nice 20 gallon (or more) diesel tank to feed the generator. You get a much nicer generator and separate fuel tank so you're not using up toy fuel. Did Keystone really offer a diesel generator in these units?