Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Nimbus

North California coast campgrounds

My wife & I are going to spend two weeks in June touring the Northern California & Oregon coast pulling our Cougar trailer. We are fairly familiar with Oregon & have RV'ed there before but California is new to us.

We are basically going to travel between Crescent City & Napa. Yup, wine geeks! Hey, my wife is a winemaker afterall.

Any suggested campgrounds?routes?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Nitka

I'm not familiar with California myself, but am interested in what you find. I'd like to travel as far south as Eureka someday soon, but haven't a clue where to stay. I prefer full hook up with some natural greenery if possible and room between the spots.

I can offer great suggestions for the Southern Oregon Coast if you're interested.
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
jsmith948

There is a recent thread started by 'Hoffbrew' discussing campgrounds around Napa. I believe he found a campground in the Calastoga area north of Healdsburg. BTW, Healdsburg is kind of neat in that the area wineries have set up 'store front' tasting rooms. You can just walk to each one and not worry about paying someone for a tour.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
koko

Last July we stayed at the Crescent City/Redwoods KOA. It was nice but very crowded - peak of the season. There are giant Redwoods right at the campground, and it's like a fairyland for kids to walk through the dark, dark tent area. My daughter's family, on the other hand, stayed at Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park right there. It's beautiful and, of course, has a totally different feel than a KOA. We used the KOA as our base and went as far north as Shore Acres State Park and as far south as Eureka.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
richarde

Calif North Coast

Nimbus, I also have the Tundra, and could recommend a couple of campsites. Hopefully you know the road between Oregon, especially going south is very winding, foggy. With that said, Patricks Point SP north of Eureka is a good park. Also, Pomo RV in Fort Bragg is also a good park with full hookups. And we stay frequently at the Napa County Fairgrounds in Calistoga. Good full hookup park, not very fancy, but within walking distance to the mineral bath houses and downtown area. And 9 hole golf course right there. Well managed also.

We will also be on the Calif coast for May and June volunteering in Mendocino at the Ford House Museum. Stop by and say hello.

Fellow Vets
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
CHIEF MK

Coming from Crescent city South on 101 here are a few places in order from CC; Patrick's point SP(ocean, beach, trees, and hiking trails. It's just north of Trinidad, There's also an RV park in Trinidad, but I can't remember the name, KOA Eureka (I don't know the details) It's between Arcata, and Eureka. Easy in and out. There's a nice CG just a few miles down the first exit of the Avenue of the giant's Highway, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Anyway big trees and lots of trees, and river access. It's just south of the town of Stafford. Next would be Hidden springs SP. Take the Meyers Flat exit. It's about 1 mi, south on the avenue of the giants hwy . Next would be Richardsons grove, about 7 miles south of Garberville. Lots of redwoods, river, hiking,

During the summer, anywhere up here south of Eureka is going to be what we call hot here. 80-100 F. Also lots of tourist's and campers at all the State Parks.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
airforceret

We stayed here on our trip down the west coast from Seattle to Frisco. It was an amazing place to stay. Got the fog coming in off the ocean while there!

http://www.turtlerockresorts.com/
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
gabell

What are your RV park recommendations for Southern Oregon Coast?
gabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Toy Teacher

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park Is a great campground just outside of Crescent City.
"Oh No It's a 6.0"
2013 Ultra Limited
1972 CB500Four Cafe/Brat
Toy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Bat24

Benbow Golf Course
Bat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Murphsmom

Harris Beach State Park in Brookings is very nice. You don't say how soon you will be going, but reservations are probably a good idea this time of year. There are also a couple of RV parks down in the wharf area.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote