Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
nateman96

Water leaking into new Hideout 22RB

I recently bought a 2013 Hideout 22RB travel trailer and after a couple of weeks noticed water leaking inside the trailer under the Refrigerator in the mornings. After some troubleshooting I figured out that it must be because I take showers in the mornings, and the water from the shower/tub is somehow leaking back inside the coach and coming out from the under the Fridge. It is not a lot of water right now so I just wipe it out with the towel. I called the RV dealership and they told me that it was covered under warranty, but I would have to drop it off for a few days till they can fix it. Problem is right now I just moved to CA and I am living in it so cannot take it to dealership and leave it there, so just wanted to know if it was OK to use it like it is for another couple of months or should I not take showers in the bath. There is a RV park bathroom with a shower a few spots down, but in the cold weather I prefer to bath in my RV. Also anyone else have such a problem, and if I try to fix it myself will I void the warranty? Also how hard is it to fix the leak under the tub/shower? Thanks in advance.
nateman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Before you go too far down that road, first double check to make sure the refrigerator drain is sticking out of the outside fridge vent. If it isn't, it will be constantly dripping water into the cabinetry below the fridge.

The little black thingy in the center of the vent is the drip tube from the fridge.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
TandE

I don't think it would be a problem for you to fix it but I would do it ASAP!

I just bought a 22rb also and I don't think your problem is from taking showers but who knows. I do think that the water heater is under the fridge area And that is what could be leaking.

I would look into ASAP cause it could have been leaking elsewhere for for sometime now and just recently started to show under the fridge.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
nateman96

Thanks Steve, the black thingy was inside the white grill so it could have been leaking water into the vehicle. I pulled it out and stuck it through the grill so any condensation water should fall outside. Also being a newbie I posted my question in a different forum, but then realized I should have posted it here instead I will pull the post out of the other form.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
nateman96

Thanks TandE, its interesting but everyday I open the water heater cover on the outside and I see a 1/2" layer of water on the bottom on of the unit. Anyway I will stop taking showers in the RV for a couple of days and monitor the situation. Its getting warm here in the city of Lost Angels so walking over to the common bath is looking like a better prospect.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
TandE

I believe there is a cover or a panel on the inside below the corner cabinet by the bathroom door under the fridge that is removable to get to the back of the water heater for winterization. I would remove that and make sure it's not leaking there too.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
GaryWT

I knew I had responded to this question, must have been on your other post. Hopefully that fix will take care of it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateman96 View Post
...everyday I open the water heater cover on the outside and I see a 1/2" layer of water on the bottom on of the unit.
It's also possible that the pressure relief valve is weeping and the water from it has found a route back into the trailer at the floor level. Several things can cause this weeping. Scale from minerals in the water and sediment are the two most common. What happens is that the foreign material gets trapped in the valve preventing it from fully closing.

If it is the pressure valve that is leaking, the fix is easy and on a new trailer doesn't require any tools or replacement.

I'd be worried about the caulking and seal along the outside base of the heater. It's supposed to be installed so that any water in that outside compartment where the relief and drain valves are located just drains down on to the ground. But we all know that it's very easy for a gap to appear or have been there from the start.

It's an easy job to fix that if you are at all handy with caulk and a putty knive.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
nateman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
It's also possible that the pressure relief valve is weeping and the water from it has found a route back into the trailer at the floor level. .
Good Diagnosis Steve, today morning I turned on the water heater from a cold start and waited for a few minutes till I heard it turn off, opened the outside door to the water heater and lo and behold there was water on the bottom of the heater and and it was leaking from the Pressure Relief valve. Could you let me know how I can fix that? It is a month old Hideout 22RB trailer. Thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
nateman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
I believe there is a cover or a panel on the inside below the corner cabinet by the bathroom door under the fridge that is removable to get to the back of the water heater for winterization. I would remove that and make sure it's not leaking there too.
Thanks TandE I was able to open that cover below the fridge and it exposes the water heater on the inside, NO WATER under the water heater on the inside, and NO WATER under the tub either, so the culprit is the leaking Pressure Relief Value on the water heater which leaks on the outside and fills the bottom of the water heater, and somehow the water finds a way back into the inside of the coach. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Good Diagnosis Steve, today morning I turned on the water heater from a cold start and waited for a few minutes till I heard it turn off, opened the outside door to the water heater and lo and behold there was water on the bottom of the heater and and it was leaking from the Pressure Relief valve. Could you let me know how I can fix that? It is a month old Hideout 22RB trailer. Thanks
Shut the heater off and let it cool a bit so that it won't scald your hand. I assume you are hooked up to city water so you should have enough pressure. If you will lift the little lever on the pressure relieve valve, it will open the valve and let water flow through. What you want to do is work the valve in and out several times to loosen anything that might be stuck in there. It is spring loaded so open it up for a few seconds each time and let it flop back closed. The water flow will wash any grit or scale away. Eventually, it will stop leaking.

This is something you want to monitor as long as you own an RV. It is normal and expected. If your water supply has a high mineral content, expect to have to clean the valve a couple of times a year, especially since you are apparently living in it full time.

The pressure relief valve is identical to the ones on residential water heaters. If the mineral problem gets too bad, it may corrode the valve surfaces to the point you'll want to replace it. Remove it, take it to Home Depot, Lowes or whatever. They'll be able to match it for you.

As for the water getting through the seal into the trailer, you'll have get a tube of caulk (NOT SILICONE - butyl is good), clean everything real good and inspect for cracks or holes where water could migrate from the pan of the water heater through the existing caulking to the inside. I don't have a pic of the outside of the water heater and my trailer is in storage so I am having difficulty visualizing exactly how the bottom lip of the heater is shaped and sealed to keep water out.

If you find an obvious crack or hole, clean it real good as caulk doesn't stick to dirt very well. Fill the crack or hole with caulk and let it cure for a day or two. Then put another layer on it, covering more surface than you originally did. You can wet a finger and smooth it around, too.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
nateman96

Found the REAL water leak source

Ok, so I was just checking the see under shower if there was no water after taking a shower. I was surprise to see quite a lot of water under the shower and it looked like the water was coming from the wall behind the shower and tub spiget. At first I thought I might need to take out the spiget assembly to see if it was loose, then when I felt below the spiget the pipe going up to the shower was loose. I tightened it and first thing I noticed when I turned on the shower is that the pressure of the water coming out was much better. Then I checked under the tub and the water had stopped leaking!!! What amazes me is why a loose connection to the shower head pipe on the inside of the tub should cause water to leak from the back and then onto the floor of the coach.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
nateman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Shut the heater off and let it cool a bit so that it won't scald your hand. I assume you are hooked up to city water so you should have enough pressure. If you will lift the little lever on the pressure relieve valve, it will open the valve and let water flow through. What you want to do is work the valve in and out several times to loosen anything that might be stuck in there. It is spring loaded so open it up for a few seconds each time and let it flop back closed. The water flow will wash any grit or scale away. Eventually, it will stop leaking.
Steve, I did what you suggested last night and it WORKED. No more leaky pressure relief valve, I also found another leak which was because the shower head pipe that attached to the spiget in the tube was very loose. I tightened it and it took care of two problems, first the water pressure on the shower increased and second there was water actually leaking from behind the vertical wall of the shower and onto the floor of the coach, which must have been the real reason I saw the leak in the coach. Any idea why a loose shower head pipe would cause a water leak from the wall behind the tub/bath?

Thanks...Nate
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
SAny idea why a loose shower head pipe would cause a water leak from the wall behind the tub/bath?
Water always follows the path of least resistance in a downward manner caused by gravity. If the shower riser was leaking, the water probably encountered an obstacle in its downward path and migrated horizontally. Could be a wall base or a lip on the floor or any of a dozen or more possibilities.

The same logic applies to leaks in the roof but more so. Because the water has further to drop before it reaches the floor, there are more obstacles to force it to move horizontally in one or more directions. That's why roof leaks can be very difficult to locate.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
nateman96

I usually turn on the water heater in the mornings, to get hot to take a shower, and then turn if off for the rest of the day. I noticed the Pressure Relief value on the Water Heater leaks when I first turn on the water heater and the water is cold. During showering I empty out the hot water (6 Gallons), and then the water heater kicks back on to heat the water. Interesting to note that the pressure relief valve does not leak subsequently. Is this common or do I just have a bad relief valve?

I have done everything that was recommended to flush out the pressure relief valve in case some was stuck in it. I ordered a new relief value and am planning to change it this weekend. Anything special to do prior to changing the pressure relief valve, other than turning off the water heater, turning off the park water supply and opening the faucets to drain out the water? Also when I put the new relief value should I just use some regular Teflon tape or is there some special tape? Thanks again.

Nate
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
fla-gypsy

Nice diagnostic work by the forum members. This is the real value of these forums, helping others solve small issues that keep you from having to return to the dealer, wasting time and money.

Tags
hideout, shower, tub, water leak