Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
Rule#5

help in deciding

Wife and I have it narrowed down to the Cougar 25res or the Reflection 150 Series 24rl.
Question is, if anyone considered the Grand Design Reflection series and chose the Cougar, why?
Not our first go around. 2002-2008 we had a 36' Travel Supreme. Don't feel like dragging around 36' again.
Rule#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Chris P

Both units are worthy ,We looked at both but still have our trailer. See who has the better floor plan and of course the better deal.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Rule#5

Thanks, appreciate it...
Old 08-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Northofu1

The GD comes with Goodyear tires, auto level, which are a bonus. Not crazy about couch in front of counter. Like the layout of the Cougar better, entertainment area nicer, even though I like the grand design colours more. No auto level for Cougar and who knows what tires. The rest depends on what creature comforts you want. I think I would pick the grand design personally, Auto level is awesome. I can live with the janky recliner placement.
Good luck.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Grand Design Reflection vs Keystone Cougar? I in fact made that comparison recently. The choices we came down to were the GD 337rls and the Cougar 315rls. Each had things we liked better than the other. We looked at both in TX and FL. I had pretty much set my mind on the Cougar from my initial visits but as I looked further I was going to opt for the 337. Both had auto level.

Trim levels were about the same but the Cougar put the pull handles for the waste tanks under the trailer, the GD has ALL of them in the convenience center which is a biggie for us. Don't know if it was because it was an E coast model but the distance between the island and counter on the E coast Cougar seemed less than the one in TX and definitely less than the GD - too narrow. Just a lot of little things. Liked both floorplans equally well. 2 things caused that to fall apart - 1) the GD dealer in TX where I live said he would refuse to work on the trailer and 2) DW decided at the last moment she wanted a stackable washer and dryer which removed any mid profile 5th wheel from consideration.

I do not know about the models you are looking at. They both appear to be the "1/2 ton" (lightweight) models. I have looked inside the Keystone Cougar 1/2 ton models but that's it. If like the standard trim units they are both probably going to be very much the same except for some incidental features....like maybe waste tank pull handles so look closely.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Canonman

Here's the big delineator, which one does the wife like best If both are equally liked by the two of you then I'd look closely at the dealer specifically at the dealer's service organization. We've learned the dealer makes all the difference when it comes to customer support.
Personally I like the Cougar floor plan. I believe the Cougar comes with the 4 point leveling system as well. We like the wardrobe slide in our Cougar and it also includes a separate linen closet. The shower looks to be larger in the Cougar too.
I'd recommend spending some time sitting, looking and walking around in both. Your previous experience with your TT will serve you well in determining which floor plan suits you best.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
jsb5717

For me one consideration is the available gray water storage. The bigger the better for a little longer stays in sites without full hook up.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Rule#5

thanks

thanks for the info all!
At least we know we are thinking along the right lines.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Poppy

My wife and I purchased the 2019 Cougar 25res two weeks ago. She looked at one other 5er, but nothing comparable to the Cougar. She fell in love with it. It does not have Goodyear tires, but I don’t remember what they are.
As for valves for the tank dumps, they are both located in the left front cover with a black tank flush, cable tv connect, battery disconnect, solar package hookup. I dont remember what else.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
flynaz

We just purchased a 2021 GD 303RLS and will be going out on our maiden voyage next week! The GD did a very nice job with the fit and finish. We traded in our 3455SA Montana. We also considered the cougar 1/2 tons but GD seemed to be a notch above...
flynaz is offline   Reply With Quote