Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Gobirds38

Wheel Bearings

I know that it is required maintance on an RV or Boat Trailer (Yearly).
How come no one seems to do it to their cars and trucks as often?

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

This has been discussed several times on this forum. In the past, most cars & trucks were rear wheel drive with the front spindles incorporating tapered roller bearings like the camper. Back then, they were inspected and greased on a yearly basis typically when the brake linings were inspected on drum brakes.

Front wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles use sealed ball or roller bearings, not tapered roller bearings.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This has been discussed several times on this forum. In the past, most cars & trucks were rear wheel drive with the front spindles incorporating tapered roller bearings like the camper. Back then, they were inspected and greased on a yearly basis typically when the brake linings were inspected on drum brakes.

Front wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles use sealed ball or roller bearings, not tapered roller bearings.
Makes sense Thanks.

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Maineiacs

Is there a good primer or guide on how best to inspect and maintain bearings? If it's something the average handyman can do, I'd like to learn.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

You could start here. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx

Also search "rv wheel bearing maintenance" and you'll have lots of youtube videos.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Is there a good primer or guide on how best to inspect and maintain bearings? If it's something the average handyman can do, I'd like to learn.
Go to the Dexter Axle web site. They have good videos.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Why do they not use that type of sealer bearings on campers?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Why do they not use that type of sealer bearings on campers?
The sealed systems on front wheel drive and 4 wheel drive is a different enchilada. They could use a sealed system that Dexter has but I assume it's too costly and has complicated maintenance. Dexter may call it Never-Lube, not sure.
What I don't understand is why Dexter doesn't use the Vault hubs. I have a 21ft bay boat sitting on a tandem axle trailer with Vault hubs. Warrantied for 5+ years no maintenance. Dexter owns Vault.
I have owned 4wheel drive trucks since the 1980's. I haven't greased truck wheel bearings in 40 years. I've asked here if whoever owns a 2 wheel drive truck if the bearings are sealed. I haven't gotten a good answer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

It seems we share the same question. Campers are not inexpensive trailers, I would think a bit more expenditure on bearings would be wise for manufacturers.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
travelin texans

Yes, two rear wheel drive cars/trucks have sealed bearings that if maintenance is required a new hub with sealed bearings must be replaced, no preventive maintenance required.
Why don't they use these on RVs, that's easy, probably cost a $1 more than what they do use.
When doing annual maintenance, DO NOT use the EZ Lube grease zerks on the spindle ends, HAND PACK ONLY! Pumping into the EZ lube CAN/WILL blow through the grease seals contaminating the brakes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've asked here if whoever owns a 2 wheel drive truck if the bearings are sealed. I haven't gotten a good answer.
Bearings on a 2WD truck are the exact same used on a 4WD truck, so no maintenance necessary. I owned 2WD vehicles my whole life until December, never had an issue. There is literally no reason any manufacturer would put serviceable bearings on one truck and sealed bearings on another. The cost to do that would be astronomical.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Bearings on a 2WD truck are the exact same used on a 4WD truck, so no maintenance necessary. I owned 2WD vehicles my whole life until December, never had an issue. There is literally no reason any manufacturer would put serviceable bearings on one truck and sealed bearings on another. The cost to do that would be astronomical.
Some model 4x4 truck bearings are serviceable. On 2 wheel rear wheel drive vehicle's they are not serviceable, the entire hub assembly is replaced with sealed bearings already installed.

Name:   download.jpeg
Views: 1354
Size:  9.3 KB
GM front hub assembly with bearings.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
SOD

I don't normally get into these discussions but this time I couldn't resist. I have hauled fifth wheels for over 30 years and haven't had brg. problems. I towed a 38 ft open range a total of 25000 miles including a trip to Alaska the only thing I do is every 5000 miles I give the hub grease fitting 2-3 pumps from the grease gun. I make sure I don't overload the RV and I travel under 65 mph. Load & Speed causes most brg. problems.
SOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
larryflew

I'm on the other end from SOD, religious about repacking ever couple of years (equals about 8000 miles) and have had 2 bearing failures. One caught right away without damage and one that did $5000 damage.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #15
rlh1957

In a vehicle that you ride in and drive, you'll hear and feel a bearing problem before it goes bad and seizes. When they go out on your towed rig you usually know about it after it has locked up, scored the spindle shaft and it has to be replaced, and some bearing welded themselves on and the spindle twisted off. Sometimes you are out in the middle of Egypt and a bearing squeals or smokes or you notice the noise backing in... What ya gonna do? Do you carry spare bearings in your emergency kit? I don't but I keep telling myself to get at least two. They don't go out of date and are cheap insurance, even if you need someone to help putting them on.
So at least jacking up each wheel every year to give the wheel a good spin to check for any bearing noise or brake dragging is Cheap insurance against most wheel bearing failures. Adding grease to the bearings or checking the grease at least every two years goes a long way.

Speaking of carrying a spare... I was so happy to pull over to help someone that had a bearing squealing. The old guy wasn't able to replace it, nor did he claim he knew how... but he did have spare bearings, an unopened tube of grease and other spare parts he carried. We were 50 miles from the nearest place that would have bearings.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
tonysr

On two wheel drive and 4 wheel drive trucks the rear axle bearings are lubricated by the differential oil that goes through the axle housing. They are serviceable by removing the axle shaft from the differential and pressing the bearing off the shaft and placing a new bearing on the shaft and pressing it on. They are not the same as front wheel bearings. This is on 1/2 ton trucks and up to semi trucks or even off road trucks.
tonysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
rodgebone

rlh1957
Quote:
So at least jacking up each wheel every year to give the wheel a good spin to check for any bearing noise or brake dragging is Cheap insurance against most wheel bearing failures.
with regards to TV sealed bearings this is one aspect to check. but even more important (and revealing) is to jack the tire off the ground and grab it at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions and try to rock it in and out. if you feel ANY play then the bearing/hub assembly s/b replaced IMMEDIATELY. just my 2 cents as an experienced auto tech