Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
MustBeNice

Which 5th Wheel Hitch...

Sorry, "new member disclaimer".... I've been trying to do a little forum / thread searching and not finding exactly what I'm looking for. So if you could please help point me in the right direction or post here it'd be greatly appreciated.

As the title states.... I'm on the hunt/search for a new 5th wheel hitch to work with our partially 'new to us' setup.

The :What we have's: info.....

CAMPER: 2016 Cougar X-Lite 28DBI, a 5th Wheel model. Has the newer 'cut/recessed corner' front cap and lower stance suspension.

TRUCK: New to us... 2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Short Box (6.5'), 6.7 I6 Cummins 4X4 Laramie w/ Factory Tow Prep Pkg (Factory under-bed puck system). It's basically stock, other then the tonneau cover, line-x bed liner, an LED light bar in the front bumper and BFG AT KO2 tires.

The "back story":

When we originally purchased the Cougar camper we towed it with a 2009 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab short Box (6.5') w/ 6.0 V8 Gasser, that had front leveled suspension, riding on 285/75/16 tires and ride-rite air bags in the rear to hold up the back when coupled. Hitch was a rail mounted Reese 16K Pro. This truck towed the setup just fine, other then a very minimal amount of the front being high... but so very near level, when the truck was aired to level. With this setup, we have never had a slider hitch... and little to no issue navigating it into the camp grounds and spots we've camped (both tight State and private camp grounds). Note: We could not do a full 90°, more like the standard 80-85°'ish angle on level ground without any cab contact and with a few (~3-4'ish inches) inches clearance to go.

**One additional point.... We occasionally pull a second (tandem) trailer behind the camper with our ATV's in toe, so I sisn't like the idea of a slider either.

Now I'm looking for which hitch to purchase..... to best fit our setup!! Wondering if I really need a "slider" as we had never needed it in the past with a very comparable / similar setup bed length truck.

Currently I'm leaning towards the B&W RVK3600 (puck system mount) as it has the little bit of additional adjustment in the FORWAD (standard) and AFT (BACK) direction mounting, they claim is okay with the RAM Cummins?!

Looking to purchase in the near future, as we'd like to bring it home from it's indoor winter storage spot and get it ready to head out camping... hopefully spring is hear to stay now!!

But ultimately looking for input and thoughts, if something else would be better ??

Hoping someone has a similar setup to offer up their experience & opinion.....

Thanks in advance!!
MustBeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome...apparently a pretty common question. You can look through this thread:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=37501
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
5J's

I was going to direct to the same thread.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
MustBeNice

Thanks, that thread was useful.... but still left we guessing in the end! Really sounds like a "50/50" still vs. "Piece of Mind" vs. "No One Really Knows?". I was really hoping someone had a very similar setup already that could offer up some better incite and pictures possibly?!?! (Unless I missed something in reading?) And close to my similar situation.

Does anyone know how "solid" the B&W Slider is when latched in the forward 'high speed pull' position?

Originally thinking I wanted to go with a "stationary hitch" to reduce any potential wear = rattle points. And hoping the adjustability of the stationary head uprights in the rear most position and upright orientation would be enough for "comfort / piece of mind"... over a standard (no rearward adjustment) type hitch???

Now thinking the loaded weight of the camper is about 10k.... plus the tandem at max 3500 (closer to 4K.... I know, I know!) is still less then 15k total.

Then my next real concern is with the "tandem towing".... will the slider be "okay". Granted it's always be in the 'high speed' front locked position while pulling both. But I suppose a hitch rating of 20K is just that 20K, regardless of what's behind it!

Any additional thoughts or knowledge on the B&W Slider itself?? Since the price difference between the RVK3600 and RVK3670 is only about $365!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
MustBeNice

I wish there as an easy way to know for sure which would 'work' or if there were pictures to view of this (or very similar) setup, to gain a better view and idea.

Still torn... as it seems like 95+% of those with a "slider" say the only time they’ve used it was to check out how it works and the clearance they gain. With the folks that have had issues, it sounds like damage could be avoided by having a 'spotter' or knowing your equipment's limitations / staying aware of their surroundings better.

So that makes me lean back towards the standard B&W, with fewer moving parts.... and assemble it to the "fully back configuration" and just watch what I’m doing or have the wife spot me (and watch what I'm doing )?!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
AbHDToyHauler

I have the Pullrite Slider which slides automatically. I have done 90 Deg turns without issue. My friend had smaller fifth wheel and different manual slider. He did well till he didn't. One time forgot to "unlock and slide to back" bit of a sloping angled road as he backed up. His trailer hit the cab. He had two vehicles to fix. Cost way more then the auto slider. You never need it until you do. .
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
HIDE-EE

I have BW 18k slider that is rail mounted. (06gmc with 6.5 bed) It is real solid I think my 5er is about the same weight as yours possibly a little heavier. A Hideout that has a similar front cap to the cougars. I was parking at the end of a dead end street for a while and had to make a u-turn that would put me up a slight dirt burm to make the turn. It would not have been possible without the slider. I may have used it one time at a camp ground to park. You need to know in advance that you are going to need the extra clearance because if you weight until you know it’s to late to get it. Also when in the “ parking” position it changes the turning characteristic of the rig so there is a learning curve.
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #8
roadglide

I never had a slider hitch towing with short bed duramax . I up graded to 3500 duramax and went with Anderson ultimate gooseneck versions. The hitch added 9 1/2 inches more clearance from the cab.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
drew999999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post

Does anyone know how "solid" the B&W Slider is when latched in the forward 'high speed pull' position?
I have a B&W slider and its a very solid hitch. When locked in the forward towing position, I don't detect any play in the hitch. You're correct that it seems to be a 50/50 opinion on whether you'll need it or not. For me, I just hate feeling like I might find myself in a position that I'd need it. More of peace of mind thing for me for a little more upfront cost and additional weight.

I will say that getting this thing in and out of the truck is a pain. Planning on getting a hoist for the garage to lift it out and build a rolling stand to store it on when I need to use my truck as a truck.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch