Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #1
Eastham

Squeky floor near walk in shower

Hi we just bought a 28 ft x lite cougar the floor has a squeaky noise when you walk by the shower Dealer says it is becausr it is a floating vinyl floor cant do much to stop it anyone ever hear of this? Also woundering why the 2 electric outlets in kitchen are in the bottom of the cabinet most appliances the cords are two short to reach.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
Jeepshots

Welcome to the forums from Central Arkansas! I've heard of the floating vinyl, but mine seems to be solid. My kitchen also has the two outlets under the cabinet. I just chalked it up to wiring 'requirements' from the build-out... that's the location that's easiest/quickest place to put the outlets. No outlets are on the exterior walls of the unit - everything is wired on an internal wall. Someone else will come along and share some great insight and information, I'm sure. In the meantime, poke around the forum, lots of great info to be uncovered! And congratulations on the Cougar!
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
canesfan

Floating vinyl floor is common. It is just glued down around the edges, and the way they build these maybe not even that. But vinyl doesn't usually squeak, it's usually what's under it that squeaks.

Outlets, you will rarely find them or switches on outside walls. All wiring is done on interior walls when/where possible. They don't care that overbearing safety regulations make your appliance cords too short. Extension cords and strip outlets solve the problem. Or putting a book or brick under the coffee pot/toaster.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Eastham

Squeaky floor

Thanks for the come back info the floor feels solit but has the squek.wife found the right size cook book to put under coffee pot and toaster so all is well thanks again
Old 05-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Your squeak may be the shower pan rubbing on the linoleum as you walk by.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Eastham

I will try sliding a piece of something between the floor and shower pan and see if the sound changes thanks for your reply.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
slow

Squeky floor near walk in shower

Eastham,

Our 2015 23RB has a corner shower and when entering the bath area to use the throne, we had a squeaky floor. I decided to figure out how to fix it today and was successful.

Turns out that the 3/4' square piece of wood under the shower door and behind the shower pan that secures the front of the pan to the floor is stapled to the floor. The squeak is coming from the staples moving in and out of the top layer of the floor that is a sandwich construction consisting of a ~1/4" thick plywood sheet then foam below it. Certainly not thick enough to secure staples.

To fix the issue, I used three 1 1/2" long #7 pocket hole screws to secure the 3/4" square piece of wood to the floor at the base of the shower pan using a stubby #2 Robertson (square tip) screwdriver. Not the easiest task because of limited size of the access hole, but the pocket hole screws are relatively easy to start and drive without a pilot hole.

The result is absolutely no noise (at least from the floor, lol) when in the bathroom now.

The pocket hole screws are available at HD:
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
Eastham

Finely got rid of squeaky floor. Spent some time getting it better leveled and squeaky floor squeaked no more.

Tags
floor