Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
wannabeimagineer

Cougar Bed Room TV Mount?

I feel bad asking this because I know there are a lot of old post asking about bedroom tv mounts but I ran into a situation that has me stuck.

I'm trying to install a tv in my Cougar xlite 26SAB bedroom. I took my studfinder to the area that has the sticker saying to mount tv here, it's an outside wall, and I had no luck finding a stud. My studsensor detects some random things in the area but nothing consistently. I assumed the solid wall and possibly a plywood mounting board were giving me issues. So I drilled some 1/16th inch holes in the sticker and the area where my mount should go, but it sure didn't feel like there was anything there but paneling and Styrofoam.

Am I missing something? When I picked up the RV they told me there was a backer board there but is sure doesn't feel like it. Has anyone had luck finding the aluminum studs in the solid exterior wall?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

WBI
wannabeimagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Often times, you can locate the studs on an exterior side wall by looking at the outside of the wall on a crisp, cool, clear and early morning. If you look carefully and at the right angle, you will be able to see the outline of the studs. The outline appears due to a difference in temperature between the aluminium studs and the surrounding wall material.

You may not be able to do this because of your location and it also sounds a bit "weird" but it does actually work!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
wannabeimagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Often times, you can locate the studs on an exterior side wall by looking at the outside of the wall on a crisp, cool, clear and early morning. If you look carefully and at the right angle, you will be able to see the outline of the studs. The outline appears due to a difference in temperature between the aluminium studs and the surrounding wall material.

You may not be able to do this because of your location and it also sounds a bit "weird" but it does actually work!
Thanks Festus2!

Doesn't sound weird at all, my grandpa just made the same suggestion! I'll have to try that next, luckily we're having a cooler week here so it just might work.

Thanks
wannabeimagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
bg71361

On my 26SAB I had no issues mounting were they put the decal, it is plywood.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Jlwright

My new 253fwre had the plywood mounted too low behind the paneling and only two screws were holding the TV on the wall. I saw it before it fell off and had to drop the mount down about 2-1/2 inches to get all the screws in the plywood. Whoever installed this had to notice the top screws didn't hold. Could be the same thing happened to yours.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
rabreen

I just bought a 2014 Cougar and the dealer said there was plywood where the lcd mount sticker was. When I put the mount in, it was not plywood but some type of metal. Not super thick metal, but with some beefy metal screws the mount seemed very sturdy when finished. I did find that the metal did not go down as far as I thought it would. I don't have measurements handy, but we have a dresser there on ours and it probably stopped at least a foot above the dresser. My stud finder was only moderately useful. Hard to find the 'open' part of the wall in that area to calibrate it.

Good luck with your project!
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
ggrant119

Can you post a picture? If I tap on the wall.. on that LCD sticker it sounds more hollow then left or right of the sticker. I have a really good quality stud finder but doesn't work well on this wall. Did you use self taping screws ? ( if so... how long? )... Other thing is in order to fit a 32" TV on it... the mount needs to be way lower then where that sticker is....
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote