Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
M&TGreen

Frame and bumper mods to haul motorcycle

Anyone know of plans or kits to mod the frame to carry a motorcycle on a 03 Laredo 25+4rl ?
Sunny our "Camping Cockatiel"
M&TGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I'm not aware of any plans or kits but many members have simply taken their RV to a welding or fabrication shop, told them what they wanted and the carrier was made up for them. Many of these were for bike and/or generator racks but I'm sure the same thing could be done for a motorcycle.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Lee

On my last TT, I had a Class III receiver welded to the rear frame rails. I then bought a motorcycle hauler that went into the receiver. It was rated for 500lbs which was plenty for my little 250cc trial bike.

Only problem I had was in securing the bike to the hauler. The back of the TT is the "bounciest" place to mount anything. My girlfriend about had a fit when she followed me the first time as that bike gets bounced around a bunch.

I since have added a Class III hitch to the front of my truck and I use the same hauler there. Much smoother ride for the bike.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
M&TGreen

Thanks Lee, I have a Honda Shadow 600 . I'm trying to figure the best way to haul it.
Sunny our "Camping Cockatiel"
M&TGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Jager

I'd be very careful about doing this mod if I were you. I had a friend who did this and the extra weight in back of the trailer wheels acted to lighten the hitch weight. When he went to tow the trailer it became VERY unstable. He had to load ballast in the front of the camper to get the weight back to where he needed it to tow.

The other concern of course is the load rating of your axles and tires. On many Keystone models they spec the axles and tires out to be just barely adequate for the trailer.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Gardiner66

I was in the same boat I wanted a way to haul the Harley with us and everyone said don't trust the bumper thing and a friend said look into a Tote and I found a used one. You can see them at Swivelwheel.com and I purchased a frame mounted trailer hitch and I am looking forward to our next trip with the bike.....good luck and be safe
Gardiner66 is offline   Reply With Quote