Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
pjhansman

Yet another noisy pump story....

So I had the pleasure of working in the UP of Michigan this summer and full-timing in my 5th wheel. Its the first time I've been back here since I graduated almost 40 years ago.

It also gave me the opportunity to work on some of those little things that I've been putting off, like:
  • Strongarm stabilizers
  • "Real" taps in the kitchen and bathroom
  • New showerhead
  • Pressure tank
  • PVC sewage hose carrier
  • ....and more
But my favorite (and the one most appreciated by my wife and daughter) was effectively silencing that gawd-awful noise from the water pump.

I had already added foam insulation around all the lines, as well as the "silencer kit", and foam under the pump. As far as I was concerned the improvement was negligible.

And then some post, some where, on some web site, mentioned water hammer arrestors, and I finally understood that it was water hammer that was causing the noise. Pretty obvious of course but forgive me, I'm old.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I purchased a mini Hammer Arrestor from Menards and installed it right off the pump. The difference was incredible! So based on the same theory that makes 2 glasses of wine twice as good for you as one glass, I immediately added a second arrestor. And yes....even more improvement. I can still hear the pump when it runs, buts its more of a gentle hum than a brain-numbing vibration.

MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Glad you found your solution. I wonder if installing an accumulator would have done the same thing? Essentially they both provide a "smoothing" effect to the pulsations. Anyway, your pump noise is behind you. Now to other mods as time permits

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
pjhansman

Yeah...put a 2 gallon accumulator tank in first, but under the kitchen sink so it was too far from the pump and wasn't much help reducing the water hammer.

Like you said.....on to the next project
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Old 09-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
jsmith948

for posting this - we've also tried the the foam and rubber under the pump. Helped, but still noisy. Going to try your solution ( I was afraid that I was running out of projects!)

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
mazeppabob

I also tried the foam etc. so I ran to Menards and purchased the same setup as pictured. However it didn't quite my pump. It is on the output side about one foot away from the pump. I would have to reposition the pump to get directly on the pump.
If it is water hammer causing the noise shouldn't it be silent when initially filling the lines and the hotwater heater. This takes several minutes and is always very noisy.
So what did I do wrong here.
mazeppabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Fishhawk

You are right about the water hammer

There will be no water hammer when the pump is running continuously
Water hammer can occur when water flow is suddenly shut off

Pump cavitation is also very noisy
Cavitation is caused by a insufficent amount of water available at the pump suction port to keep the impeller constantly supplied with water
This is due to things like loose connections or leaks on the suction line of the pump

What you hear could be either what passes for "standard" pump noise or water flowing through your plumbing ( if piping is undersize, the noise will worsen) or perhaps both of these

Isolating the pump from contact with anything will help you determine if it is your pump making the noise or pump vibrations traveling through the camper
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
mazeppabob

Angry

I think these pumps are just noisy no matter what you do. I had the pump loose holding it in my hand while running so I know it is not vibration transmitted noise. You would think after all these years someone could design a silent pump, tank monitors that dont lie, a furnice that dosen' sound like a jet engine. Don't get me started I just paid $30 to try and fix something the factory should. I have been crawling under, in all possible places to try and keep mice out. There are holes everywhere. The factory makes no attempt to close anything.
The problem is we just keep plunking our money down for the same crap.
mazeppabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
pjhansman

My pump did not vibrate when running, but the lines would numb your hand trying to hang on to them.

I installed the water arrestors right at the pump. And it worked for me.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
SkiSmuggs

I replaced my Flojet with a Shurflo Revolution and now only have a hum. Love it!