Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
DeadEndCustoms

So my IOTA-50R started smoking...

Hello everyone, its my first post after lots of reading on this site.

We just got back from a trip to the beach and started cleaning the camper getting ready for work to start back (I'm a contractor and live in the camper about half of the year).

I fired up the generator to get it nice and cool and to start vacuuming (well the wife was operating the vac). I was outside and started to smell the wires, and found the transfer switch, smoking. Apparently this just happened, likely from the trip.

I had just got through reading about this and was trying to get details on the recall, then 2 days later its melted. Looks like the neutral wires coming from the generator side.

I'm not sure if this could have happened during regular shore power operation? If so that's pretty scary that we were using both AC's and high 90's at the beach for this not to have happened while we were in it.

It looks like the IOTA T57 is the direct replacement, is there a better or different transfer switch on the market today that would be worth upgrading to? I have to leave soon to travel to New Jersey and will need to stay in it permanently, so far I have not been able to get a dealer that can squeeze me right in for a recall.

Any thoughts? Thanks

- 2010 Raptor 3812TS
DeadEndCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
jtyphoid

I looked into transfer switches a bit to replace my IOTA and wasn't able to find much detail. One thing that was mentioned a few times is that designs that use DC relays are supposed to buzz/hum less than the ones that use AC relays. I don't know how important that is, because it should only make noise when on generator, so the gen noise might mask any noise coming from the transfer switch.

I ended up going with a DC design "just because".
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
gilpinbrewer

I will confirm when I get home, but my 15 FZ371 came with a WFCO branded transfer switch.
http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Tr...ptype=3&pid=19
gilpinbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
DeadEndCustoms

A little update: The dealer is supposedly sending me one since it's not cost effective to drive 100 miles one way to get a $128 part installed but we know how that goes..

So I ordered one off Amazon, not knowing how long this could take because the dealer didn't even know if they had them or not. Believe me, the reviews that say "showed up broken" are true. I open the box and one of the plastic ears were broken off, so its going back, another one will be here Tuesday.

I researched other switches, and from what I found, this has DC relays.

Eventually I'll get it in and give a follow up to the experience.
2010 Raptor 3812TS - Camper #4, Starting to work on upgrades

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 - 6 Speed, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4wd, Air Bags
DeadEndCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote